Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Range of Input Impedance on the Helix?

mitchellisdumb

I can't find this info anywhere. I don't have a Helix yet, but I'm considering purchasing one. I know the guitar input impedance is adjustable, but I don't know how high (or low) it goes.

I've got a few instruments with piezo pickups that like a lot of load—up to 10 MΩ. Can the Helix go that high?

I've got a few instruments with piezo pickups that like a lot of load—up to 10 MΩ. Can the Helix go that high?

Active piezo work great in the Aux input or a return.

Passive piezo only work well for me in return.

Neither works best in the Guitar input, which is, imho, really for electric guitar and bass.

Both can work well through a DI into the Mic input.

If you use a lot of piezo, PLEASE consider avoiding the LT, as it doesn't have that Aux input.

And another side note. Just to clarify you mentioned a "high load". I believe a higher impedance, 1 M ohm and higher actually puts less load on the source. If you want a high load you need low impedance, 10k ohm etc.

As mentioned above, the aux is more in line with what an active preamped acoustic would like to see.

Active piezo work great in the Aux input or a return.

Passive piezo only work well for me in return.

Neither works best in the Guitar input, which is, imho, really for electric guitar and bass.

Both can work well through a DI into the Mic input.

If you use a lot of piezo, PLEASE consider avoiding the LT, as it doesn't have that Aux input.

Relevant to my interests as I'll be using this with Piezo almost exclusively. However, my solution with all other gear is to use a buffer/preamp that gets me in better range for most pieces of gear. L.R. Baggs Gigpro is my normal go-to for this. But it's good to know I might find the sound still better in the Aux input compared to the Guitar input.

Relevant to my interests as I'll be using this with Piezo almost exclusively. However, my solution with all other gear is to use a buffer/preamp that gets me in better range for most pieces of gear. L.R. Baggs Gigpro is my normal go-to for this. But it's good to know I might find the sound still better in the Aux input compared to the Guitar input.

I don't think you need a preamp. I have two guitars with passive piezo bridges I use with Helix through a return. They work fantastic, straight in. My acoustic guitar preamp gets no love anymore, just sits in the case.

I don't think you need a preamp. I have two guitars with passive piezo bridges I use with Helix through a return. They work fantastic, straight in. My acoustic guitar preamp gets no love anymore, just sits in the case.

What's the output impedance of your guitars? The Aux in according to the manual only supports 10kohm, not in the 5+Mohm range.

That said, my pickup in my instance was designed with a preamp in mind. I'll see how it works without.

Oh, passive piezo. I would buffer/preamp it as well, it solves so many issues. 

Yea, it's amazing how many people don't know that. I do live sound, and I bring a mint box buffer to every gig. I've had a few violinists and cellists buy them from me on the spot, they've never heard their instrument sound so good plugged in.

Yea, it's amazing how many people don't know that. I do live sound, and I bring a mint box buffer to every gig. I've had a few violinists and cellists buy them from me on the spot, they've never heard their instrument sound so good plugged in.

Ha, that's the other one I use! Scott makes the buffers that get bundled with the bassoon pickups that I make.