Sign in to follow this  
DavUric

Sitar on Helix

I'm not sure about a specific preset to replicate a sitar, but obviously it would be some sort of clean preset. More importantly is probably the technique you use when playing. Try to stay on the G and B strings, and develop a light palm muting techinque in combination with great attention to pick attack, which should generally be rather aggressive. But keep in mind that it's never going to really sound exactly like a sitar, only close.

Try the bridge pickup, pick very very close to the bridge and slightly bend each note you play at the attack.. play on a single string, while playing the lower one next to it as a resonating drone.. best is open D drone and playing on the G string..

keep in mind that a sitar is an acoustic instrument, so try experimenting with some acoustic simulation IRs..

I put a Ravish Sitar in the effects loop. Only pedal I couldn't part with.

I've been eyeing one of those, I'm just waiting for one to pop up on the local used market at the right price. 

So what did Steely Dan use all those years ago?

Craig

I'd imagine a Coral Sitar - fairly common in the period.

I only mentioned Steely Dan earlier in this thread and now I have just heard that Walter Becker has died, very sad.

Craig