Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

UX2 direct USB into Audacity: DI and Wet recording?

RudyR

Hi,

I'm currently doing some demos against a backing MIDI + click track. The backing track simulates drums, bass, keyboards, etc.
I'm plugging in the UX2, and using the Farm to record guitars directly into Audacity. 

Recording is going well enough, the parts are getting recorded along with the backing WAV track without any latency.

At the end of the day, I'll be going into a proper studio with the rest of the band for the actual recording.

But is there anyway I can record a simultaneous dry/DI sig track in too? 
I was thinking of saving some hours/money on recording the guitars. That, and also it's probably less stressful to take my time recording my parts at home as opposed to being under the clock.

The engineer said it was possible since we're playing along with a click. He needs both the DI signal and the wet recording.

Am I able to get the DI sig if I'm just using a UX2 direct into the PC?
Is Pod Farm able to output 2 signals simultaneously, and is Audacity able to record them individually on separate tracks?
Or do I need some other equipment or a different recording app? 

Thanks

This is easily accomplished with DAW's that support ASIO. The UX2 has 4 available outputs (wet L/R and Dry L/R) which can be configured in PF's mixer view. Audacity does not support ASIO out of the box (although you can compile it to support ASIO, chack out their wiki). But I haven't used Audacity in ages.

When using the UX2 I typically capture the wet and dry simultaneously.

This is easily accomplished with DAW's that support ASIO. The UX2 has 4 available outputs (wet L/R and Dry L/R) which can be configured in PF's mixer view. Audacity does not support ASIO out of the box (although you can compile it to support ASIO, chack out their wiki). But I haven't used Audacity in ages.

When using the UX2 I typically capture the wet and dry simultaneously.

Thanks TR. 

I was messing around with all the options yesterday and sort of figured that Audacity had that shortcoming. I don't really wanna mess with code, as I'm not a coder.

The other option that worked for me was to lay out a dual/A-B path. Then remove everything from the A path, while keeping the effects and amp models on B. 

That way I would get a left ear DI, and right ear wet recording in stereo. I then split the stereo track in Audacity into 2 separate mono tracks.

But ideally I would of course want stereo recording. 

I chose Audacity because it was free to use for my demos. 

Can you recommend any free-to-use DAWs with that can do more than one input? 

Again, thanks for the comments.

There are some 'limited edition' DAWs that offer free downloading, you'd have to search for them.  They are put out in order to entice users to pay for the full versions, of course.  Once you get familiar with the workflow of a particular DAW you are unlikely to switch to a different one.

I prefer Reaper, which is free to download the full version.  You have 30 days to try it out, after which you will get a reminder pop-up whenever you turn it on (but it does not cripple use).  It's $60 to register it, a very reasonable price.