Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Compressors

brettchinery

Hi - am still getting to grips with the Helix LT and learning all the time

I still don't really fully understand compressors and am only using the red squeeze compressor at the moment as it is the simplest to use/set up with only three knobs - anyone got an idiot's guide on how to use the others with more parameters???  Thanks in advance 

This is also a great video to see why you need to use hi-cuts on IRs and speaker models. Notice the big difference in how much brightern and harsh the close mic'd speaker sounds compared to the distant mic that gets the amp in the room sound. This is caused by listening off axis to a very directional, low-fidelity speaker. Now when you listen to your FRFR cabinet (not through headphones), you're also listening to an amp in the room and likely off axis from that too. But most FRFRs have horns that provide much wider dispersion of the high frequencies than a guitar speaker. So you're still going to hear those bright harsh tones.

So its not uncommon to have to use mic selection and placement, and put EQ and compression at the end of your Helix signal chain to warm up the tone of cab models and IRs.

• 5 months later...

I'm a new Helix user. Does anyone know why you can only insert a red squeeze compressor in certain places in the chain? 

Sometimes when I try & select it, it is dim and is unavailable to select. I'm sure there's a simple answer... lol

I'm a new Helix user. Does anyone know why you can only insert a red squeeze compressor in certain places in the chain? 

Sometimes when I try & select it, it is dim and is unavailable to select. I'm sure there's a simple answer... lol

That means there isn't enough DSP left on that processor path. Each of the two main signal paths - Path 1 (1A and 1B) and Path 2 (2A & 2B) - have a dedicated processor. So if you're hitting the DSP limit with everything on Path 1, try moving some of your blocks down to Path 2.

Hi - am still getting to grips with the Helix LT and learning all the time

I still don't really fully understand compressors and am only using the red squeeze compressor at the moment as it is the simplest to use/set up with only three knobs - anyone got an idiot's guide on how to use the others with more parameters???  Thanks in advance 

Probably more info than you wanted but includes some tips on the 'Deluxe Comp' and the 'LA Studio Comp' http://line6.com/support/topic/23488-compressors-explained/?p=178763