Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

line6 (helix) haters on YouTube

MGblade

I watch a lot of helix YouTube video's and there are always a couple of guy's claiming the vast inferiority of helix compared to axe/kemper in the comment section. Some of them almost seem to be on some kind of holy modeler war.

seem to be a lot of line6 haters,

never see helix users claiming the opposite on axe/kemper video which I also watch.

just a observation

Who cares? Fanatical devotion to anything is creepy and weird...and the loudest voices always have the least to say, and often couldn't play their way out of a paper bag. You could argue with them, but to what end? You won't change any minds, and most of them are only squawking so much because they need to justify the exorbitant amount of money they spent on gear. Let 'em rant...and rot.

• Upvote 5

Who cares? Fanatical devotion to anything is creepy and weird...and the loudest voices always have the least to say, and often couldn't play their way out of a paper bag. You could argue with them, but to what end? You won't change any minds, and most of them are only squawking so much because they need to justify the exorbitant amount of money they spent on gear. Let 'em rant...and rot.

hqdefault.jpg

It's everywhere.  I'm also a photographer and there's GAS and kit wars in that world as well.  In the end all this stuff is just the tools we use to produce art, and the tools themselves are insignificant compared to the way we use them.  To coin a phrase, "amateurs talk about hardware, professionals talk about software".

It's everywhere.  I'm also a photographer and there's GAS and kit wars in that world as well.  In the end all this stuff is just the tools we use to produce art, and the tools themselves are insignificant compared to the way we use them.  To coin a phrase, "amateurs talk about hardware, professionals talk about software".

Or... "Amateurs talk about tools, Professionals create"

• Upvote 3

It's inescapable... if it's not the amps, its the guitars. Years ago when I was entombed in music retail, I was always amused by the bored rich guys who dropped 3 or 4 grand on a new axe every couple of months, couldn't pluck out "Mary Had A Little Lamb" if you held a gun to their head, and babbled endlessly about "tone". But no matter...because everybody knows the more you spend on gear, the better you get, lol.

• Upvote 1

Tbh axe/kemper DO sound better in the vast majority of videos, especially when you listen with headphones. Combine that with the old "spider" reputation of line 6, and I get why there are many people doubting the helix's capacity. Trolling/hating is stupid but you can't avoid it on the net.

I was disappointed with most of what I heard from demos, and if it wasn't for the free native trial, I would have never bought the helix.

It's inescapable... if it's not the amps, its the guitars. Years ago when I was entombed in music retail, I was always amused by the bored rich guys who dropped 3 or 4 grand on a new axe every couple of months, couldn't pluck out "Mary Had Little Lamb" if you held a gun to their head, and babbled endlessly about "tone". But no matter...because everybody knows the more you spend on gear, the better you get, lol.

LOL.

Like in the good old days when computers were expensive. There were these guys who always had the newest and most badass computer gear. They didn't have a clue. All they ever did was typing in the occasional birthday song for their little brother or a some grand cousin using word perfect. The guys who really knew about computers and actually did something useful with them were saving pennies for years to buy second hand gear.

Tbh axe/kemper DO sound better in the vast majority of videos, especially when you listen with headphones.

I have to admit there are some lollipop reviews on the helix, like the one primier guitar did running it with cab sims through the front end of a fender.

the review Pete thorn did made me strongly consider the helix, always thought of Pete to be a trustworthy reviewer.

the helix review from Tim Maple did it for me.

now 6 months later still liking the helix a lot.

Yt comment wars lol

While sometimes funny to read, they rarely ever have any value

I'd wager that half don't own any of the equipment they're discussing and the other half are still in grade school

Like many have already pointed out it's the artist, not the artists tools, that make the difference

There are some commenters out there who are specifically hired to trash the competition. It's called astroturfing. Very real thing these days. Influence. Mind changing. Inducing doubt.

Lol...what a world. So Joe Douche's product is sub-par, but rather than spend money making it not suck, he hires people to $hit on the competition via social media. Success through mediocrity and subterfuge. Our species is doomed, lol. Makes me proud...;)

It doesn't just happen with products either.  The entire political, news cycle is driven by similar comments, one person makes a comment for a political candidate and ten people are assigned to jump down their throat in the comment section and start to smear and harass them.

• Upvote 1

Lol...what a world. So Joe Douche's product is sub-par, but rather than spend money making it not suck, he hires people to $hit on the competition via social media. Success through mediocrity and subterfuge. Our species is doomed, lol. Makes me proud... ;)

Here we are complaining that we need meters before and after effects on Helix, when, really, what the world needs is a fact check meter built into our browsers to rate every bit of information that comes in over the internet, haha!

Tbh axe/kemper DO sound better in the vast majority of videos, especially when you listen with headphones. Combine that with the old "spider" reputation of line 6, and I get why there are many people doubting the helix's capacity. Trolling/hating is stupid but you can't avoid it on the net.

I was disappointed with most of what I heard from demos, and if it wasn't for the free native trial, I would have never bought the helix.

The free demo of Native is a very effective promotion move, I bought my LT three days after playing with the Native too. 

Before the purchase, I was considering between Helix and AX8, and was leaning towards AX8, but after all it all depends on what sound you really want.

What is good about the free trial is you can see if it gives you the sound you want.

Unlike going to a music store, you have 15 days to play with it, dig into every parameter and see how they work, and see if you like the dynamics when you play with the amp/cabs. 

Once i knew it gives me the sounds I want, it is a easy choice for Helix/LT's price, and you have the best UI you can have on any Multi/Amp Sim unit. 

When you know what you want, you don't need take much care on what others say. And it is the Internet, haters hate.

Everybody uses IRs anyway.  How much better can axe sound than helix, if theyre both using the same IR?  

Everybody uses IRs anyway. How much better can axe sound than helix, if theyre both using the same IR?

Exactly. They're both good units...and if you can't find a way to beat either of them into submission and get tones that you like, then the gear isn't the problem, and it's likely that nothing will ever satisfy you.

• Upvote 2

And better than.

My Native Trial has ended and I really like the Helix FX and greater parameter

control. The depth and detail is really something. Excellent!

I would definitely get a Helix if they were not so expensive here in Sydney.

I can understand why someone would buy it after the Native Demo. Very clever

giving us a taste like that! IT is almost enough to get back in a band instead of

mic nights and freidly jam sessions.

Professional jealousy explains much of the negative trolling and there is also

such a thing as defending one's buying position as the best decision.

When you spend as much or more money on its competition and you know... you KNOW that the sonic differences are like splitting hairs, and then you see the flexibility, the ease of use becomes the tipping point. The ease of use will put some people over the edge because it's like a b1tch slap to their decision not to buy the Helix. Some will feel compelled to trash talk the Helix.

And better than.

My Native Trial has ended and I really like the Helix FX and greater parameter

control. The depth and detail is really something. Excellent!

I would definitely get a Helix if they were not so expensive here in Sydney.

I can understand why someone would buy it after the Native Demo. Very clever

giving us a taste like that! IT is almost enough to get back in a band instead of

mic nights and freidly jam sessions.

Professional jealousy explains much of the negative trolling and there is also

such a thing as defending one's buying position as the best decision.

Why dont you just have somebody over here grab you one and send it?  Im not sure if the exchange rate on currency is the issue here or what, but theres gotta be a way.... lets make this happen for you. 

Kemper's biggest flaw (for me) before I sold mine around 6 months back, was no editor ever planned and it likely won't ever have one unless a 3rd party does it.

That, and I didn't like the file system (method of storing and retrieving).

Minor things I know, but was cumbersome to me. 

Why dont you just have somebody over here grab you one and send it?  Im not sure if the exchange rate on currency is the issue here or what, but theres gotta be a way.... lets make this happen for you.

My daughter is living in Denver now with husband posted there, so I could get her to buy it and send it, pay the customs duty and be in Helix heaven. No doubt this will happen as I plan to start giging

again but as a bassist I got a good couple of amps now and really dont need Helix for bass.

We will see. It is never the money but I just can't bring myself to spend that much on a device that is not a guitar or amp when I have two HD 500s that are perfectly adequate.

I know it will only be a matter of time before I get one. I know!

I guess I could just sell off all the cheap stuff I got and put it toward a Helix.

Okay I am sold, That is how I can do it! Cheers

• Upvote 1

My daughter is living in Denver now with husband posted there, so I could get her to buy it and send it, pay the customs duty and be in Helix heaven. No doubt this will happen as I plan to start giging

again but as a bassist I got a good couple of amps now and really dont need Helix for bass.

We will see. It is never the money but I just can't bring myself to spend that much on a device that is not a guitar or amp when I have two HD 500s that are perfectly adequate.

I know it will only be a matter of time before I get one. I know!

I guess I could just sell off all the cheap stuff I got and put it toward a Helix.

Okay I am sold, That is how I can do it! Cheers

Stop punishing yourself. :lol:

I agree 1000000%!

Go to the golf forums and you have the Titleist fans bashing TaylorMade's marketing cycle...and TaylorMade fans criticizing Titleist's reluctance to adopt new tech...

Go to the gun forums, and you have the .45ACP vs 9mm, the Glock vs 1911 and the AK47 vs AR15 wars.

Go to the truck forums, and it's Ford vs. Chevy vs. Mopar..

Go to any news article on Facebook and every story is met with comments from folks on both sides of the aisle making it political.

I'm sure there are psychologists and sociologists having a field day studying this behavior.

I'm sure there are psychologists and sociologists having a field day studying this behavior.

Simple... it's human nature. We like to argue. And (in this country anyway) advertising openly encourages us all to be chronically discontented with whatever we currently own, so that we're all in a nearly constant state of buying new $hit (that we mostly don't need).

Simple... it's human nature. We like to argue. And (in this country anyway) advertising openly encourages us all to be chronically discontented with whatever we currently own, so that we're all in a nearly constant state of buying new $hit (that we mostly don't need).

How far has the human race both fallen and risen at the same time? Lol. At least when we were first starting out, the things we argued over, most barbarically too, were likely matters of life and death. Maybe we've improved at least the barbarism a little bit? But now we argue over stupid shit.