Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

XLR or LINE outputs

beppepelagio

Hi guys,

I just bought a Helix LT and waiting for it to be delivered. I use my pedalboard direct to pa in certain venues and to ampli in other. currently I'm using a Firehawk FX that has a switch on the rear that lets you select what you're plugging into. My question is: how does the the Helix know what I'm plugging into?? 

There are so many ways to set up Helix. You can send out to amp prior to speaker sim at instrument level, while sending xlr after speaker sim at line. Each output has independent level control.

Assign volume knob to only certain outs, parallel paths to different outputs. You can split the path at the end to different outputs. You get the point so many options.

If I played amp sometimes and pa others, I would make separate setlists for each.

To answer your question. You do not need to change globals every time. Just set your 1/4 out to instrument and xlr to line.

thanks DunedinDragon so each time I have to go to global settings? what if I assign line out to ampli and xlr to PA would that work? in that mannor the outputs would already be set permanently right?

Yes, they would stay that way until you change them.

Make sure the PA does NOT have phantom power on your channel or the sound will be awful. VERY important.

thanks DunedinDragon so each time I have to go to global settings? what if I assign line out to ampli and xlr to PA would that work? in that mannor the outputs would already be set permanently right?

I'm assuming when you say line out you're talking about the 1/4" line output and the XLR output.  If you have your output block set to 'multi' they will both be available without any interaction from you.  The only thing you have to concern yourself with is what signal level you want each of them to send.  This is how many of us that use on stage monitors and direct lines to the mixing boards set things up.  In the ins/outs settings in global settings you have the option of setting the 1/4" output and XLR outputs separately.  So a lot of us set the 1/4" output to 'Line" and the XLR output to 'Mic' as that's the most common arrangement.  Once you've set things up that way you can choose either of the outputs or both (one to the onstage monitor and one to the mixing board).

As PeterHamm mentioned you want to make sure the PA isn't sending phantom power to the channel you're using on the board as that will affect your sound quality.  One thing I do to make sure that doesn't happen is I use a phantom power blocker on my XLR output.  They're relatively cheap and great insurance against a soundman inadvertantly plugging you into a channel with phantom power.  They're available in several places on the internet, but I got mine from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Sescom-SES-IL-PPB-Phantom-Blocker-Sescom/dp/B00A6ZE7A8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504784452&sr=8-1&keywords=phantom+power+blocker

• Thanks 1

Can you please tell us how to record the vocals on the POD 500x using a condenser microphone MXL 440 via XLR. Thank you.

Can you please tell us how to record the vocals on the POD 500x using a condenser microphone MXL 440 via XLR. Thank you.

Not the best place to ask, but I don't recall that HD 500 had phantom power for the XLR input. Don't have the manual anymore so I can't check.

from reading here it seems having phantom power from a desk effects sound quality.? i thought i read elsewhere it can fry the helix, or that is not true?

You must keep phantom power OFF on the board you are connecting Helix, too.

It can not fry the unit, but it will make it sound awful.

The easy solution is to just use the 1/4" outputs to a DI (or two) and then to the system. It sounds just as good unless you use an awful DI, and keeps the guy at the board from having to worry about input level, impedance, and phantom power.

If the sound guy has less to worry about with your signal, he will make you sound better...