Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix - Acoustic guitar, dual source pickups

rpschultz13

The Helix has 2 inputs. My acoustic guitar has 2 pickups: a magnetic and a soundboard transducer (both passive).

1) What cab/amp sim would you use on an acoustic guitar?

2) Can inputs A and B be summed (merged)? I see the examples in the manual, but those are when a single signal is split, then merged. I don't see an example of merging inputs A and B.

Inputs A and B can be sent to the same output, if that's what you mean. You can't as far as I can figure out, mix down both paths together. However, you can use the top path alone to have your two inputs, then recombine those at the end of the chain.

In this picture both inputs are Multi, but you can change them to whatever you want.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw7zdsuiwyZ-UTlGLTNVSmp2NGc

The Helix has 2 inputs. My acoustic guitar has 2 pickups: a magnetic and a soundboard transducer (both passive).

1) What cab/amp sim would you use on an acoustic guitar?

2) Can inputs A and B be summed (merged)? I see the examples in the manual, but those are when a single signal is split, then merged. I don't see an example of merging inputs A and B.

PeterHamm is the magnetic/piezo guru around here. 

My stuff (article in my signature) is more for electric and acoustic at the same time.

But... if I was using a dual source acoustic (great idea, wish I had one), I'd probably put them through two different IR, pan slightly left and right, add a few ms of delay to one side, add a vintage tube pre right after, then compression and eq, and eq them differently, maybe even do a crossover type of deal.

But no amp model, for sure.

Your question is not quite clear, but from what I think you are asking:

Let's say you have a piezo and mic pickups in your guitar.... You plug the piezo into guitar let's say, and mic pickup into AUX through a DI

Then you could have guitar go into path A and out to Multi

And Aux go into path B and out to Multi.

(Assuming input levels and output levels are balanced...)

This would automatically sum your two paths to whatever output you are listening too... (i.e. XLR, 1/4, L6 Link, S/PDIF, etc)

Does that answer that part of the question?

There are lots of other ways of getting the signal in and out, but I think that is the simplest to understand, and allows you to put different effects on each of the outputs of your guitar if you should so desire....

With Helix's Input Block configuration set to it's default: "Multi", the two signals fed to Helix's Guitar and Aux jacks would be summed on Path 1A.

However, as Helix's Aux In Jack is a 10K Ohm input intended and designed for active Acoustic and Bass guitar pickups (see: Helix 2.0 Owner's Manual Rev D PDF, Page 21), and neither of your Acoustic Guitar's outputs are active, either pickups' signal you may choose to connect via instrument cable to Helix's Aux In Jack is likely not to sound matched to it's counterpart pickup without boosting and/or EQ.

If you were to reconfigure Path 1A's Input Block for Guitar, doing so would isolate that input for it's own processing on Path 1A. Similarly, define and reconfigure Path 1B's Input Block for Aux (or Path 2A's to Aux and access Helix's additional DSP chip), and this path will isolate the Aux Input. This method would allow you to process the indvidual signals as desired and either merge them or route them to the same outputs as desired.

Another easy alternative to explore would be to use one of Helix's FX Return's for your Acoustic's other pickup signal. An FX Block would need to be added to Path 1A, or you could redefine the Input Block of Path 1B or 2A to use the FX Return Block of your choice.

Another method would involve, for example, use of a Relay G10 (or any suitable buffered output pedal with true bypass) for one of your Acoustic's output signals to the Helix's Aux In. This would present a sufficient signal level from the Relay G10's Receiver output (either via 1/4" or XLR) or from the buffered true bypass pedal's output to use with the Helix's input (AuxIn, FX Return, or Mic XLR In).

As with most scenarios, Helix's flexiblity offers a variety of alternatives.

Post back what you find works best. And, what make and model guitar are you using?