Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

3 amp blend?

steelstringer

I have really been enjoying the tones that I am getting when blending 2 different amp models together. Is there a way to blend 3, or am I getting too greedy now? What would the routing look like if this is possible? Btw, my setup is using all Helix amp models/effects direct to my mixer. Thanks!

Yes it is, just split your signal through 2 amp from input a, and even 2 other amp on input b. You can route your signal any way you want on Helix, but you will run out of DSP power fast with 3 4 amp. Also, your sound is really shape by your cab Sim, and it take a lot of DSP. So you are better keeping some DSP for impulse or cab block. Try to build two paralle single cab block per amp with a little room reverb, almost nothing , for one cab. It can be twice the same cab with different mic. I think you will achieve a way bigger sound with more cab block than amp block.

• Upvote 1

Thank you for the feedback, Gritch. My goal is to blend two different overdriven amps and one clean/chorus-y amp. Right now, my two favorite patches are a Park/interstate zed blend and a Park/Roland blend, so I am trying to get the best of both worlds. It's pretty awesome that the Helix provides these possibilities.

Question: If I use this kind of approach, then I choose a guitar input for both paths 1 and 2. I have read on this board that this often causes an unprocessed , dry guitar signal that negatively affects the tone of the patch. Is this true?

That's only true if you actually create a path for unprocessed guitar to get through.  Then it will get through.  But there are no "bugs" in this regard, no.  Those users just weren't paying close attention.  It's really important to analyze your signal path so you understand what is going where.

That's only true if you actually create a path for unprocessed guitar to get through. Then it will get through. But there are no "bugs" in this regard, no. Those users just weren't paying close attention. It's really important to analyze your signal path so you understand what is going where.

That makes sense. Thanks.

I've done it. Get past 2 amps and it all became mush for me.

agreed! even 2 amps fully wet gets kinda lost... my BEST experience has been wet/dry... one amp path clean and wet with effects, and a second path set barely dirty/ edge of breakup, and dry

it creates a great stereo effect

I have spent some time lately creating patches with varying amp blends, and the advice on this thread was super helpful. Thanks for the input. The sad reality, however, hit me when I compared these very "busy" presets to some of my older, simplistic ones with one amp and 2 irs. The simpler presets sat better in the mix (live mix, I mean).

The amp blends sound awesome, but they're a little cluttered sounding to me. They aren't as crisp and defined as one nicely dialed in amp. Of course, my ears might say otherwise the next time I turn on the Helix (that happens to me frequently).

I have spent some time lately creating patches with varying amp blends, and the advice on this thread was super helpful. Thanks for the input. The sad reality, however, hit me when I compared these very "busy" presets to some of my older, simplistic ones with one amp and 2 irs. The simpler presets sat better in the mix (live mix, I mean).

The amp blends sound awesome, but they're a little cluttered sounding to me. They aren't as crisp and defined as one nicely dialed in amp. Of course, my ears might say otherwise the next time I turn on the Helix (that happens to me frequently).

Yes, there is a HUGE difference in building presets that sound fantastic when playing solo at home, and one that will sit in a mix with a band. I think most forum members that are integrating multiple modeling systems or VSTs, and filling up their presets with dozens of effects are trying to achieve solo home tones. Sometimes they can be utilized in a recording, but usually when there isn't much else going on in the other tracks. Don't get me wrong, I do the same thing at home just experimenting with the capabilities/concepts, but my live in the mix presets are much different for me. 

• 3 years later...
On 9/9/2017 at 10:43 AM, PeterHamm said:

I've done it. Get past 2 amps and it all became mush for me.

I have a patch on my CustomTone where I use three amps, but I'm running one hard left, one center, one hard right.  It's called Mohawk.  Lemme know what you think:  https://line6.com/customtone/tone/5531636/ 

15 minutes ago, aepoc said:

I have a patch on my CustomTone where I use three amps, but I'm running one hard left, one center, one hard right.  It's called Mohawk.  Lemme know what you think:  https://line6.com/customtone/tone/5531636/ 

This thread is 4 years old... don't be surprised if you don't get a response.

7 minutes ago, DunedinDragon said:

I think we can safely refer to this as a "Walking Dead" thread.

Yep, I know.  But I wanted to put it up there in case he (or anyone else) wanted to try it out.  I won't be upset or disappointed if I get nothing in response  :)

Ha! I did see it. Thanks for the response. Yep, I really like building patches like this. They sound especially great through a nice set of studio headphones. You can get some really inspiring tones this way.

But like I mentioned in my post from 2017 (wow, time flies), for any live application of the Helix, I tend to use very basic patches. One amp. One IR. Basic effects when needed. I just find that I can hear myself in a mix so much better, probably because it’s easier to eq fewer variables. 

10 hours ago, steelstringer said:

Ha! I did see it. Thanks for the response. Yep, I really like building patches like this. They sound especially great through a nice set of studio headphones. You can get some really inspiring tones this way.

But like I mentioned in my post from 2017 (wow, time flies), for any live application of the Helix, I tend to use very basic patches. One amp. One IR. Basic effects when needed. I just find that I can hear myself in a mix so much better, probably because it’s easier to eq fewer variables. 

No kidding time flies!

You could try the global EQ for working with multi-amp patches, but I do agree that it would only go so far.  Just wanted to chime in and share anyhow.  Hope you're doing awesome.

12 hours ago, aepoc said:

No kidding time flies!

You could try the global EQ for working with multi-amp patches, but I do agree that it would only go so far.  Just wanted to chime in and share anyhow.  Hope you're doing awesome.

I always enjoy looking at other users’ patches. I’ve gotten so many cool ideas this way. This is especially true with more complicated patches, like yours, because there are so many different ways to construct these tones with the Helix. Thanks again for sharing. 

4 minutes ago, steelstringer said:

I always enjoy looking at other users’ patches. I’ve gotten so many cool ideas this way. This is especially true with more complicated patches, like yours, because there are so many different ways to construct these tones with the Helix. Thanks again for sharing. 

You're welcome... happy to do it.  For sure, I love getting patches to try out.  Jason Sadites has helped a lot too!