Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Disable main knobs on POD HD500X?

kiranbrown

Anyone know if there's a way of doing this?

By 'main knobs' I mean the 6 that are on the front of the pedal - drive, bass, mid, treble, presence and volume. The reason I'm asking this is because I already have my patches exactly how I want them, so the only think that I need to tweak is the master volume. A few times I've accidentally nudged one of the knobs with a cable or my foot, and that causes the tone to completely change. I don't want this to happen when I'm on stage!

Cheers!

Your not just talking about the amp controls activating on the screen.

It is a pain. cables seem to love it in there like a tack and pulley

I'd suggest a ridged black foam used in packing.

Just cut out knob positions like a guitar or mic case and tight fit on top.

That is the primary reason I use a Desktop and a shortboard...I have been asking for knob disable since way before HD came along...jitter and cables has always been an issue with these things.

The other is the random drunk guy that inevitably falls into the stage in those small venues...

True story: St Patrick's day circa 2006...300 lbs jolly fellow falls backwards onto a 1 foot stage and lands his upper back square on my shortboard MK1...He had two rows dents all in hit leather jacket  as those buttons are taller and much sturdier than the MK2 buttons...He put my Flextone IIIXL into Manual Mode and had a genuine look of pain on his face despite his just above moderate intoxication. He was basically knocked sober by it...It was an accident as the floor was slick and the house was rockin. He apologized and even offered to pay to repair the shortboard...Shortboard was and is still fine...still have it and still use it every now and then when I get tired of the crappy orange screen on the MK2...MK1 green screen rules!

If I was in this situation "I would make" a 'friction brake' for all the knobs out of a piece of wood or plastic. It wouldn't take me that long. I would lay it out, drill the holes, figure out what screw I would use to secure the one end and one for the other to adjust the friction. Oooooops there I go again giving out the plans before I patent a great idea, :)

That is the primary reason I use a Desktop and a shortboard...I have been asking for knob disable since way before HD came along...jitter and cables has always been an issue with these things.

The other is the random drunk guy that inevitably falls into the stage in those small venues...

True story: St Patrick's day circa 2006...300 lbs jolly fellow falls backwards onto a 1 foot stage and lands his upper back square on my shortboard MK1...He had two rows dents all in hit leather jacket  as those buttons are taller and much sturdier than the MK2 buttons...He put my Flextone IIIXL into Manual Mode and had a genuine look of pain on his face despite his just above moderate intoxication. He was basically knocked sober by it...It was an accident as the floor was slick and the house was rockin. He apologized and even offered to pay to repair the shortboard...Shortboard was and is still fine...still have it and still use it every now and then when I get tired of the crappy orange screen on the MK2...MK1 green screen rules!

Ha, me too. Desktop and shortboard, though MkII. Agree with you about the orange screen :-(.

FWIW, I have always zeroed the control knobs (except master, obvz) so they can only get nudged one way.

I use a simple method... effective, and it only takes a minute to make. Cut a piece of black construction cardboard to size and tape it over the knobs with black electrical tape. The cardboard is thick enough to resist most abuse and it prevents cable snags, accidental twists, etc.

Of course a more elegant solution would have been for Line 6 to make a protective chrome bar like they have for the LCD screen/fx knobs... But too late for that. At this point Smashcraaft's idea is the most plausible for a permanant fix:

It is a pain in the @ss that L6 do not allow to block these knobs by an option in the system parameters.

Something called "stage-mode" could easily prevent unwanted changes.

Hope that helps.

✔ï¸

• Upvote 1

Another idea is to do what some guitarist do on their volume knobs to save accidentally turning it down

Rubber tap washers that fit or compressed foam cut to shape under the knobs. This way you have to physically move the knob

to get change and gone are the slight wipe drastic shifts.(I'm going to do this one)

I've had a similar experience. This happens mostly at private parties where there is no real stage to separate musicians from patrons. I have had a whole beer spilled on my Mk2 Shortboard. Thankfully, the POD HD Desktop it was connected to was far behhind me in a box where nothing can touch it, not even the knobs. Yes, I took apart the board and just washed it with clean water. It was a pain, but could have been much worse.

Another idea is to do what some guitarist do on their volume knobs to save accidentally turning it downRubber tap washers that fit or compressed foam cut to shape under the knobs. This way you have to physically move the knob to get change and gone are the slight wipe drastic shifts.(I'm going to do this one)

There isn't any space for rubber washers or anything else under the HD500X knobs, unless you pull them up 1/8" (imo not a good thing). For now, the only practical solution seems to involve some kind of physical cover...

Heh. Hurghanico strikes again :)

FWIW I had a look and I think the cheapskates among us could DIY per bjnette's suggestion:

>I checked and the inner shaft goes deep. Some compressed grippy foam will fit into the outer area
>like it was designed to fit.
>Some cut size; shouldn't raise the knob by more than a mm if that to create a nice resistance.