Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

True - Legit DT Amp Control Integration With Helix - Line 6 Never Going to Get There???

GeeTah

Like so many others, I've gone with an FRFR box to run with my Helix (Mission Gemini 2) and I love it. But... last night I had occasion to retrack a guitar part in a song that my praise team had cut 4 years ago where I had used my old HD500 with two DT25s in stereo. Despite acquiring the Gemini 2, I could never bring myself to part with my pair of DT25s. They're just great amps - sitting there in our studio...

I got out the old HD500 (kept it as a backup) and the DT25s and retracked the guitars and came away thinking... man, that's one of the sweetest sounding rigs I've ever heard. To my ears, the totally organic response of the tubes is just something that even the best digital rigs (Helix, Axe, etc.) can't really "quite" do - not totally/not the same way....

Left me thinking:

I wonder if Line 6 is just going to leave the DT25/Helix integration in the rearview - or if somehow/someday they will craft a true integration into a Helix firmware release so that it's capable of being truly controlled via the L6 wiring. I would LOVE it if that could happen. Not via a workaround with midi, I mean a true integration like the HD series had. Even if the suite of amps and cabs had to be limited to what the DT could handle, it would be great. Even if it was a "pay-for" upgrade, it'd be worth it. 

Line 6 - if you're listening - I'd really LOVE to hear your response on this. I bet I'm not the only one. 

Thanks,

Bradley GT

DI has discussed this quite a bit over on the THE THREAD over at TGP.... If memory serves, he said it would be a TON of work to get Helix to work as HD500X does today with DT, if it's even possible at all (I seem to remember it's not, but, hey, it's software).

A lot of interaction is, however capable of doing today through MIDI, were you aware of that?  I could have sworn there was a MIDI DT example Template, but I can't figure out which one it is in Native.  I do see a few DT based presets on CustomTone.  Our God Saves in particular sounds somewhat like something you could use.

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/2290532/

And I'm assuming that you mean using Helix to switch between the various configs, etc.