Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pics- Helix Pedal Board, finally done, and all I need.

gstew

Simple, tight, and capable of everything I use for gigging. It's a Gator Gig Box 2 pedal chassis, Helix, Digitech Freqout, Electro Harmonix Nano POG, TC Electronics BodyRez and a Mission extention pedal. Just to the upper right of the Helix I have a mic stand mount secured inside and protruding through the pedalboard surface so I don't have to fool with any crazy tripods. There is also a 12 volt micro fan mounted just under the helix by it's air vents that I can activate for hot outdoor shows just as a precaution.

With my Variax Standard, and Variax JTV-59, I can cover Country to Rock, Acoustic to Marshall, Drop D tunings, and much much more with a single footboard click. Out the Helix XLR jack to a lightweight QSC K10. I can be loaded in and set up in 5 minutes. Really could have used this in the 80s and 90s when the touring was constant, but what fun to play with now. Guess it's good timing for the bad back...lol.

HbAfO1e.jpgisx8nAO.jpgVlKXChK.jpgacJm3in.jpg

• Upvote 1

Looks like you need to try hosting your photos somewhere else... Photobucket decided to clamp down on hotlinking a few months ago.

Ah, thanks. I was wondering what was going on. Do you have a suggestion of where I might find easy pic hosting? Thanks again.

Simple, tight, and capable of everything I use for gigging. It's a Gator Gig Box 2 pedal chassis, Helix, Digitech Freqout, Electro Harmonix Nano POG, TC Electronics BodyRez and a Mission extention pedal. Just to the upper right of the Helix I have a mic stand mount secured inside and protruding through the pedalboard surface so I don't have to fool with any crazy tripods. There is also a 12 volt micro fan mounted just under the helix by it's air vents that I can activate for hot outdoor shows just as a precaution.

With my Variax Standard, and Variax JTV-59, I can cover Country to Rock, Acoustic to Marshall, Drop D tunings, and much much more with a single footboard click. Out the Helix XLR jack to a lightweight QSC K10. I can be loaded in and set up in 5 minutes. Really could have used this in the 80s and 90s when the touring was constant, but what fun to play with now. Guess it's good timing for the bad back...lol.

HbAfO1e.jpgisx8nAO.jpgVlKXChK.jpgacJm3in.jpg

Very nice. I particularly like the mic stand mount.

How the hell did you manage to get the mic stand mount in there?? I've been looking for something similar for weeks, but can't find anything!

Looks very, very neat - great job!

Thanks! I found this one on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/pedalboard-mic-music-stand-holder/302184138280?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I bolted that to a square piece of 5/8" plywood, then used 3m dual loop velcro to attach the plywood to the inside bottom floor of the pedal board. Drilled a hole in the metal top floor of the pedal board to let the mount protrude through. I do have to unscrew the top part of the mount from the base inside when I want to swing open the top floor of the pedal board, but overall it worked out great. Man I hate dealing with flimsy mic tripods stands, so that folly is gone from my life now.

• Upvote 1

Thanks! I found this one on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/pedalboard-mic-music-stand-holder/302184138280?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I bolted that to a square piece of 5/8" plywood, then used 3m dual loop velcro to attach the plywood to the inside bottom floor of the pedal board. Drilled a hole in the metal top floor of the pedal board to let the mount protrude through. I do have to unscrew the top part of the mount from the base inside when I want to swing open the top floor of the pedal board, but overall it worked out great. Man I hate dealing with flimsy mic tripods stands, so that folly is gone from my life now.

Awesome. Too bad it's so expensive. I don't need this with my Helix as I don't carry it on a board, but my other rig could really benefit from this.

Found this post though! http://line6.com/support/topic/15903-ikea-capita-legs-make-perfect-pedalboard-mic-stand-mounts/

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60263574/?query=CAPITA+Leg

Oh my goodness there are a lot of options for this I had never found before (despite looking! found out what the right keywords were to search for).

http://www.fullcompass.com/category/Flanges-For-Table-And-Wall-Mounting-Of-Microphones.html

What do you use the Bodyrez for, and how?

I'm always looking for ways to connect my acoustic through Helix.

I have the Bodyrez in an effects loop. Mixing it into my chain for my Variax Acoustic guitar modeling right now. It seems to add some beneficial low frequencies for the Variax. BUT, the main reason for getting on to the pedal board was for my real Acoustic guitar that I just haven't got to yet; it sounded really good with the piezo pickup system in it. I've just been busy building bank tones for my various electric guitars so far. The more I am getting familiar with Helix the more I understand how flexible it is and I know I will be able to pull off a killer Acoustic guitar through it. The Nano Pog is a blast to use with the Acoustic guitar as well.

This is what I used,  It's called a standard railing flange.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SteelTek-3-4-in-Silver-Steel-Structural-Pipe-Fitting-Rail-Flange/999930958

Two nuts, two bolts (make sure they are long enough), and two large washers.  

It seems very sturdy.  I'm a little worried about a drunk person using it to hold themselves up and bending the mic stand or ripping the wood out of the pedalboard but I think that's a low probability.

Measure the diameter of your mic stand to be sure but 7/8" is pretty standard.  The 3/4" rating of the flange is because it fits a pipe and the interior of the pipe is 3/4" so don't let that fool you.

http://thebroadwaystand.com/

Here's another expensive microphone solution.  Also, they don't seem to be in business anymore.

As for the Broadway Stand, I have some information on this from the creator, DB Chase. I managed to secure the last Broadway Stand he had, and now he is revamping his business model to be able to produce more.  My guess is that there was solid demand and he couldn't keep up.  His plan is to start a KickStarter campaign soon and is shooting to produce 1000 units to hit retailers.  I can say DB is a stand up guy and I wish him luck.

No, the stand is not inexpensive, but if you look at the value it can provide, I think its a fair price.  It allows for 3 stands (mic stands, iPad stands, guitar stands, etc) integrated into a single unit.  The unit also has (3) standard power plugs and (2) USB power plugs.  This not only powers my board and G10 wireless, it charges my iPad, and I use it to power my rhythm guitarist's board as well.  It can even be used as a standalone pedal board itself.  And it's built like a tank.  

Like several people in this thread, I was trying to find ways to reduce my stage footprint and integrate a mic stand into my board.  Tried several things (including the Ikea idea), but nothing seemed to work for me.  I eventually stumbled on the Broadway Stand.  Like I said, it's not inexpensive, but for me, it was worth it.  

I contacted the Broadway Stand guy too, but he has been out of stock both times I checked in with him. As an option I considered this one: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GPA1003

But now after getting a permanent mount installed, glad I went that direction. I'll hit Lowes and pick up one of those Railing Flanges too just to have one around in case I build something else where I can use it.

I contacted the Broadway Stand guy too, but he has been out of stock both times I checked in with him. As an option I considered this one: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GPA1003

But now after getting a permanent mount installed, glad I went that direction. I'll hit Lowes and pick up one of those Railing Flanges too just to have one around in case I build something else where I can use it.

That GPA1003 looks pretty sweet, but, it looks like you'd have to raise the back of the Helix to be able to plug the cables in. Anybody using one of these with their Helix? The price is right.

I been looking for that Gatormcase as well. Without luck.

Any recommendations for other cases for the Helix plus an exp. pedal and a H9?

The official backpack. The pouch on the outside more than happily will fit an H9 and an expression pedal (or two) and all the cables you need. I would say it's worth the setup/teardown time to not have a heavy hard case and board with the Helix. The backpack is very protective. If you're flying with the Helix for gigs that's a different story, but if that's your situation you should spend money on a really quality one that's custom for your needs I would think.

The official backpack. The pouch on the outside more than happily will fit an H9 and an expression pedal (or two) and all the cables you need. I would say it's worth the setup/teardown time to not have a heavy hard case and board with the Helix. The backpack is very protective. If you're flying with the Helix for gigs that's a different story, but if that's your situation you should spend money on a really quality one that's custom for your needs I would think.

Hi, thanks for your input. I actually got the current deal at Sweetwater that included the official backpack.

I am more thinking a pro grade pedalboard case (maybe like the pedaltrain Classic Pro with tour case). 

Thanks. 

This is definitely a cool pedal board. Lightweight for its size really, wheels, and easily customizable if you're handy with tools. You should keep in mind that if you use this for a Helix, you will have to remove the guitar stand that is built into the lid in order to make room for the lid to fit on. The Helix is a little tall. Just a few rivets to drill out is all. You can actually mount the folding guitar stand on to a new flat piece of material (i.e. plywood) of some sort, and then have a pop up guitar stand that folds flat.

I used a Temple Audio Board. Comes with a bag.

No extra expression pedal here (i don't use it that much and so i have a special jack for this on the side, just in case). But as you can see there's plenty of room...

I've got a H9 too, but it's...under the board.

783347hx2.jpg

• Upvote 2

No extra expression pedal here (i don't use it that much and so i have a special jack for this on the side, just in case). But as you can see there's plenty of room...

783347hx2.jpg

That is niiiiiiiice.

783347hx2.jpg

very nice indeed. So you got an H9 under the hood - cool. All controlled by midi I guess.

Is it a HOG2 I spot?

What size board do you have here?

• Upvote 1

It's a Templeboard Duo 34. The Helix fits perfectly (an expression pedal too). There is a Hog 2 indeed, A mobius and the G10 (modified to accept 9V).

H9 is controlled via Midi, and i edit it with my bluetooth laptop (i've got no iphone).

Everything is powered by a strymon Ojai under the board. I wanted something compact and clean and it was the best board for me. It is light, has a dedicated bag and offers more connections on the sides. I had to find some very flat cables, but Google helped a lot.

183105hx1.jpg

If you're curious I've posted some other pics in another thread : http://line6.com/support/topic/28764-post-pics-of-the-pedalboard-you-use-in-addition-to-the-helix/?do=findComment&comment=223034