Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Lost all User 1 presets

JN99

Ok, Helix acting up and I'm a very unhappy camper. I was simply trying to import some (8) new presets and it was acting weird. It looked to have copied them but all 8 ended up exactly the same - even though the preset names were all correct. Tried again, same thing. Tried one at a time, worked or seemed to then reverted to all 8 being the same again (this even as I watched each one appear to import correctly. I then tried overwriting with a blank preset and it wouldn't copy the new preset properly; appeared to copy the blank "new preset" but left the name blank.

decided to restart Helix and much to my dismay when it restarted EVERY single preset I've ever imported or created (all in User 1) was gone. All the presets in user 1 are now just blank, no name, no contents, nothing. Everything is gone, sooooo disappointing! The 8 I was trying to import were all that was there but still all 8 copies of the same preset with different names. This is such a major bummer but the real question here is what the hell happened???

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

No backup as I was still pretty much in the experimentation phase and hadn't gotten to a point where I had things "cleaned up" and ready for the first backup.  What I did have though was one preset I'd worked on and tweaked to a point where I was very happy with it and that was of course lost so lesson learned all the same.  :(

I am running latest FW & editor.  Apparently this is a known bug in the editor and a new version is in the works that should address.  File under Happens, S**t

I am running latest FW & editor. Apparently this is a known bug in the editor and a new version is in the works that should address. File under Happens, S**t

First I've heard of this.

When you say it's known, does that mean you have a sequence of steps to reproduce it?

Otherwise known as steps we should NOT take if we DON'T want that to happen...

First I've heard of this.

When you say it's known, does that mean you have a sequence of steps to reproduce it?

Otherwise known as steps we should NOT take if we DON'T want that to happen...

Known by/to others but I don't know if that means it's known to the extent the defined steps to reproduce on demand (or avoid) are known.  I certainly don't know the steps, no.  This is from info I got on the Helix fb group and Frank Ritchotte weighed in so I take that to mean it's valid info.

I have seen where someone does a "Copy/Paste" of one edited bank to a "Blank Bank" thinking that they were copying the edited one to the new one.  But, since the edited one was not  saved it simply created a new Blank bank and I believe it does show the new name (not sure and I am not at my unit.

Did you ever see the other banks to see if the data was there? As you say: Lesson learned. ALWAY save a patch you are editing an call it "Scratch XXXXX until you are finished and then give it the actual name.  Saving multiple times only takes a few seconds and reconstruction can take a long time!

Sorry this happened to you, but it seems to be some type of "user err" and not a "known issue" other than "user error" in the Save/Copy/Paste  or save to disk/ import process.

Can you duplicate this?  If so, create a service ticket and it will get fixed,  If not, then the answer is some type of user error.

Hope you can get it sorted out,  regards,  Bo

• Downvote 1

Well I'm only going to say that  simply importing presets as I have always done, resulting in the Helix wiping out every single user preset on the device is likely not attributed to user error.  And the process you described is not what I was doing anyway...  I was importing new presets not editing an existing or creating a new one.

Anyway, can't be fixed once it's happened and it seems to be known or that was at least intimated by Frank.  The real lesson is - back up everything.  I just hadn't done that yet since I am still mostly experimenting with different presets and hadn't gotten to the point where I wanted to backup yet.  However, didn't really expect this would happen either of course.

The real lesson is - back up everything. 

Correct. Even when you don't think you need to. And then save those backups "OFF" the hard drive on CD's or flash drives or sumtin...

I just hadn't done that yet since I am still mostly experimenting with different presets and hadn't gotten to the point where I wanted to backup yet.  

Understood and I probably would not have expected Helix to burp like that either (mine never has).

If it's new and does this again (you may need to to do a mass import /export test a hundred times to see), return it for another cause that's not normal OP for Helix.