Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Malfunction in a LINE 6 Spider Valve 112 - reset continous

BluesBoyBcn

Recently I bought a second hand/used LINE 6 Spider Valve 112

After an approximate an hour of operation my amplifier starts to fail when you change channels, turning off the sound and channel light for 2 sec and continuously reset the channel. The whole metal chassis gets very hot, even the on / off and standby switches reach a very high temperature. I use a FBV express pedal , but the amp do the same malfunctition even without using it.

Sometimes the stored banks channel information has been deleted, as if it had done a factory reset

help !

I am not a SV guru by any stretch but from what you describe it sounds like something, either a component or solder joint, is beginning to fail in the preamp section. They generate ALOT of heat and the MKIs suffered failures due this -> IMO btw.

One user put a fan pointed at the chassis and the reboot loop stopped for awhile. Another tried an innovative heatsink mounting. But those are not cures just an indication that the failure was probably heat related.

I would shoot an email to L6 and see what they say as its not a tube amp like Crate's old V line where remounting a 5w resistor took the heat out of the pcb. It does look like a Service job.

Yeah that's what I feared. The mainboard for the MKIIs are out there but the MKIs' are not. A heatsink or fan is not really a solution as the problem is already there and it would at best "maybe" postpone the inevitable trip to the service center. I never recommend poking around in an amp as you can get zapped really bad by the caps in there.

Psarkissian is "the man" to talk too regarding a trip to the L6 Mothership for service.

The poweramp section will still work and does make a great tube based poweramp for running a modeler into. Keep that in mind before setting it on fire. :)