Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Guitar and Bass Guitar together

Thurston9

I set up guitar and bass through my Helix for gigs. When I switch to guitar, our harmonica/key player takes over bass. I never use a guitar amp just the wedges for stage monitoring. I sometimes use a Fender Bassman amp just for bass over my Alto 210's if i'm in the mood but my bass signal going to FOH is pretty much direct with no amp emulation, that is just for the stage. ( I use amp emulation for guitar for both stage and FOH) All goes to FOH for the sound support to do what they need I use the standard guitar in for guitar and the Aux for the bass with a 15 dB bump via a gain block in the front end because my bass has an EQ preamp but is not technically "active". I've gotten around the low dB on the Aux input by using a Return as a bass or guitar input as well but in the end I settled on the way I have it now. No real reason other than it was there and easier to navigate input for setup so I can get onto the next thing. ( I'd constantly plug into the wrong 1/4").

We actually used it with 3x Line6 G90s for two guitars and a bass for a little while.  I just ran them all to effects returns set to instrument level and it worked perfectly.  You definitely can't get too creative with the effects because of DSP limitations (not really a problem as I'm pretty sure they've never marketed it as "run your whole band through a single device with unlimited effects") but it was definitely do-able.   We did eventually split everyone up to their own gear (Firehawk FX for the second guitar and an SVT 7 Pro for bass) so they could have control of their own gear but I imagine if the guitars and bass had a few of their own pedals (assuming you were they were wired) you could definitely make it work.

I experienced that Return is better than Aux for two instruments with the same outputs (e.g. passive single coils). I use Guitar In with my strat and my teacher uses Return 1 with my tele – each on its own signal path (with the same blocks/settings). Both guitars sound equally (aside from their native characteristics). Using Aux for my teacher resulted in a much quieter tone from him, so we switched to Ret 1.

Might be as well practicable for bass.