Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Rush 2112 Overture delay

KRTW

Greetings all. My band is doing this song, just up to where vocals start. I got most of this done and learned, but the most difficult part is the delay on the guitar early in the song. I have something that works, but the stomp process is daunting....the delay does not start on the first chord, it starts on the second, so you have to turn the delay on and off really quickly and very exactly or the delay is wrong. The delay time is 313 ms and that is perfect, but it is the stomp process that makes this so difficult.

So, is there a way to program any of the delays in helix to only react to the second chord? Also, on the original recording the delay guitar pans each time the delay plays back. How would I create that effect and what delay would you use? I'm sure with the helix there is a way to make this way more simple.

Any input most appreciated.

Greetings all. My band is doing this song, just up to where vocals start. I got most of this done and learned, but the most difficult part is the delay on the guitar early in the song. I have something that works, but the stomp process is daunting....the delay does not start on the first chord, it starts on the second, so you have to turn the delay on and off really quickly and very exactly or the delay is wrong. The delay time is 313 ms and that is perfect, but it is the stomp process that makes this so difficult.

So, is there a way to program any of the delays in helix to only react to the second chord? Also, on the original recording the delay guitar pans each time the delay plays back. How would I create that effect and what delay would you use? I'm sure with the helix there is a way to make this way more simple.

Any input most appreciated.

You can make the stomp a momentary switch instead of toggle. Then the delay just comes on when you have your foot on the switch, you'll just have to press it on the down beat. I think there is a panning delay as one of the models that pans with each delay return. 

I'm working on 2112 right now.  I've been running my setups wet/dry/wet lately, with a single main wedge carrying my mono main sound, and two smaller outboard wedges carrying my delays, modulation, and pitch effects.

Based on listening to isolated guitar tracks over and over, I ended up running a very subtle 310ms tape delay on my main "dry" sound, with the mix down very low.  My "wet" stereo path has the more prominent delay, 100% mix, still at 310ms, with a volume pedal inserted right before.  Right before I hit the Am and G chords I roll in the pedal to bring in the delay, then cut it back for the following chords.  I roll it back in again for the little solo part, rolling it back when I hit the held A chord right before going into the main riff.  It takes a little practice to get the timing right and not cut off the "front" part of the delay, but it's what works best for me, especially considering my Helix lives on top of a rolling rack most of the time.  It also keeps my footswitches free for snapshots, which you need a few of for that track. 

Another great idea. Later tonight I will try both. tedulrich, from the sounds of your set up you are not using a panning delay, but on the original it most definitely is. How best to get that delay? Any ideas? I tried all the delays and did not find one easily controlled for my needs.

I listened to the original track, and I think I know what you're talking about.  The delay goes across the stereo field in one direction, then the other.  Since it's absent on the multitrack I have, I'm assuming it was added during post production. 

I tried using a multitap delay set to 0% feedback and panned across the field, but the results weren't that great and will only get you one way unless you reverse the values in a snapshot.  Personally if I HAD to have that effect, I'd ditch the volume pedal and go with the momentary footswitch as noted above, but use a panning pedal to sweep the repeats.  Since that requires an excessive amount of coordination, I'd just add a MIDI command to trigger a single pass of my expression sequencer that feeds the EXP3 input. 

I listened to the original track, and I think I know what you're talking about. The delay goes across the stereo field in one direction, then the other. Since it's absent on the multitrack I have, I'm assuming it was added during post production.

You have a multitrack from those sessions? Where did you get that?

Sure, Action button, works fine across presets.

Only caveat is that copy-paste doesn't work very well when snapshots are in play. I'd prefer if it just copied from the current snapshot, and pasted into the current snapshot, left others alone. Kind of a pita to do w multiple snapshots you care about, but since they might not be laid out the same in the source and destination patches, there's really no other constructive option.

Really, it'd be best if it could ask you if you want to paste from and to all snapshots, or just the current one.

While browsing pre-made patches, I found a delay that did exactly what I want. Going to go look for it. Is it possible to copy an effect and paste it into a different patch?

Indeed, as zooey mentioned, go to the block, press the action button, press the knob under 'copy block', then navigate to the desired preset, and press the action button again, this time selecting 'paste block'. 

You have a multitrack from those sessions? Where did you get that?

Thanks for the posts, and yup, wonder where you got the multi-track as well.....

As for the multitrack, it's sadly not complete and cuts off the last 30-60 seconds of each part of the song, and the 2112 suite was in a single file for each part.  The source I got it from has been down a while, probably due to legality issues, but it was a pretty massive trove of obscure MOGG files, many of which were oddly truncated near the end like this one. 

If it helps though, someone did an isolated guitar compilation of the entire side and put it on YouTube, filling in the missing parts with pieces from All The World's a Stage. 

- Part 1, Overture through Presentation

- Part 2, Oracle through Grand Finale
  • Like 1