Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Interference Issue (noise and crackle not dropouts)

Having an unusual issue with my xd v55 packs and hs70 mics. Fixed installation. Both units sometimes generate static and crackling sounds (akin to a bad cable.) However I cannot recreate the issues by handling the mics and cables and headset parts. Connectors are fine and clean on mic and pack. Handling the pack also does not recreate the issue. I have verified all other connections and cable runs between the receivers and mixer (now an xr-18 but using a 5 gHz router and well distant from receivers and the issue predates recent switch to the xr-18.) It's a fixed install in a synagogue sanctuary and I've scoped out WiFi frequencies and set line6 channels based on that. Could the presence of an android or iphone using WiFi that is physically with the person be a potential source? Or could the presence of numerous active phones in the sanctuary cause this? (Just happened today during a funeral.) Remember we're not talking dropouts, were talking bad cable sort of crackling noises. Yes I have switched mics between packs, both the headsets, and a lav, switched channels to swap receiver and mic pairings (including a line 6 handheld, which, btw, gets much further away reception than the body packs before dropping out even through a wall which the body packs won't work through. A function of antenna length in the handheld?) Also I never seem to have any issues with the handheld and interference or crackling noises. I'm going crazy trying to suss this out.

Yes I have switched mics between packs, both the headsets, and a lav, switched channels to swap receiver and mic pairings

What did you determine from your swappings? Did every combination of mics and packs exhibit the problem?

It sounds like an "analogue" problem rather than a digital one so probably not RF related. Although you're not dealing with sweaty actors, it does sound a bit like headsets that have suffered sweat damage. If even the lav is similarly afflicted, I'd perhaps start to wonder about the power that's getting sent to the capsule from the pack as an intermittent issue with that will cause such crackles (a bit like crackles caused by phantom power not consistently getting through). I can't easily imagine a fault condition that could occur on both packs that would exhibit like this though. Worth checking the pins and sockets on the connectors - I had one pack trashed by someone trying to unscrew the connector rather than pull it out! The pins are pretty fragile.

I would also try to beg/borrow known working mics & packs so you can narrow down where the problem is.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

1. To be safe, we had some new HS70s shipped overnight. After thorough investigation it was determined that one of the original HS70s had both sweat damage, and the other either some strain placed on the wiring to the connector causing an intermittent short from just one little strand (or sloppy soldering work at the factory.) (I missed that upon initial inspection - my eyes aren't what they used to be. I'm not even sure I have the eyesight or the steady hand to repair a TA size connector anymore.) Can anyone recommend how to improve strain relief on the TA4F connectors? As they come from the factory, they have no effective strain relief at all on the small gauge cable from the headset.

• 2 months later...

Hey! I am almost furious just reading this...because of the months of stress caused by this same problem. I have 8 systems in a musical I produce/mix audio for. The answer? THE LINE 6 HEADSET MIC CONNECTORS ARE SH*T! COMPLETE SH*T. I had them send me a total of 6 replacements before I just bit the bullet and bought a different brand of headset mics.

And I am 100% correct about what the problem is, because they were all BRAND NEW AND UNUSED. And sometimes after only an hour of use, they would start crackling. Switched out a brand new one on the same pack, and no noise. Absolutely just sh*tty construction of the connectors. Horrible, disappointing, outrageous. Luckily they came in the pack, so I still got the actual systems for a good value.

Sorry you were roped in as well.

• 1 year later...