Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Interface help please

Jdd12673

I have the helix rack and i record with a Motu 828 mk3 interface. My question is hiw to hook up the helix through the 828 to get the best sound. My daw is studio one 3. I have read mentioned to play with global settings doing this as well and wonder if that is necessary as well. I have owned the helix for about a month and so far have ran the helix through the xlr inputs which are mic pres on the front of the motu in stereo. I have found all of the factory presets in the helix to be mono and sounded like hell and had to alter them with stereo chorus modualation to solve this for a wide stereo sound and i dont really want to have to do that just to get a sound i like to record. The presets all sound way to center and mono and i hated them. I tried panning in my daw which didnt improve much.please help before i just sell this thing and mic an amp and be done with it.

Considering the Helix itself is an interface, why not just run the Helix straight into the DAW via USB and cut the MOTU out of the picture entirely?

Also, if you're running the Helix entirely on factory presets, you're missing out.  The beauty of the system is being able to build your sounds from the ground up, best suited to your equipment and playing style.  The presets are just filler, save for the starter templates in Factory 2. 

I'd be interested to see how you get studio one to record from the helix. No matter what I try I can't get S1 to record audio from Helix over USB. The only way I could make it work was to go 1/4" out of the helix into an Audiobox interface, and use that as the interface.

I can use helix as the interface with other DAW software, but not S1. So if you get that working, please post back here.

I have the helix rack and i record with a Motu 828 mk3 interface. My question is hiw to hook up the helix through the 828 to get the best sound. My daw is studio one 3. I have read mentioned to play with global settings doing this as well and wonder if that is necessary as well. I have owned the helix for about a month and so far have ran the helix through the xlr inputs which are mic pres on the front of the motu in stereo. I have found all of the factory presets in the helix to be mono and sounded like hell and had to alter them with stereo chorus modualation to solve this for a wide stereo sound and i dont really want to have to do that just to get a sound i like to record. The presets all sound way to center and mono and i hated them. I tried panning in my daw which didnt improve much.please help before i just sell this thing and mic an amp and be done with it.

Hi JDD - there have been many threads and posts addressing what you said regarding the Helix sound (I'm not commenting on how to make connections).  Like many others, when I got Helix rack earlier this year, I was disappointed at what I heard in the factory presets and I came to this forum and that transformed my use and enjoyment of the Helix!

I Use Studio One 3 and love that.  I also have the Studio 192 audio interface, but really, those two items don't effect the sound from the Helix.  They give me a great representation of what I hear from the Helix, just like my other DAW (Mixcraft) does.

What really helped me with Helix rack sound was to create my own presets from scratch and to use pitch shift or the dual delay to get an excellent doubler effect for jamming alone.  I was inexperienced with new modeling technology when I got the Helix this year and it took me a while to find my tone in Helix and to begin to understand what one can do with it.  There are so many parameters you can control, it's takes some serious time and effort to really get a handle on it.  However, it shouldn't be hard to get a good tone quickly if you create it.  And, how you create a preset depends on the guitar you use, it's pickups, etc.  Many of use have different presets for different guitars.  My main guitars are a strat and prs custom 24 and the presets for those don't usually work well for the other unless tweaked (single coil vs. humbuckers).

This forum is filled with people giving excellent advice in detail about how to use the Helix and get great tone.  You should be a long way from giving up on the Helix if you've only tried the factory presets!  I am happy to help as are many others on this forum.

Doug

I have found all of the factory presets in the helix to be mono and sounded like hell and had to alter them with stereo chorus modualation to solve this for a wide stereo sound and i dont really want to have to do that just to get a sound i like to record. The presets all sound way to center and mono and i hated them. I tried panning in my daw which didnt improve much.please help before i just sell this thing and mic an amp and be done with it.

Most guitar amps are mono devices with the exception of a few like the Roland JC-120. Thus, the modeled amps will also be mono. The only obviously stereo presets will be the ones with a stereo chorus or delay.

I must echo what others have said here. Build your own presets. You'll be much happier.