Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Crazy loud screech/noise when clicking through IR list, and issues uploading

marctemp

Hello, just got my Helix three days ago and it is amazing!  I have two questions for the forum.  I've purchased IR's from Ownhammer and I have had two issues. This is all why using the Helix app on my PC and with studio monitors.  I think the Helix is being used as the sound card when I plug it into USB. 

One is when I try to upload the IR's nothing happens most of the time.  Every once in a while I get lucky and they upload.  Anyone else experience that?

The other is, when picking a IR as block and then scrolling through them I get this horrific loud screeching squealing noise come through the monitors and turning the volume down on the Helix does nothing.  It takes several seconds for it to go away.  Any ideas?

As DunedinDragon indicated you may want to double check and make sure you are loading the correct Ownhammer ".wav" files in the Helix format ( 48kHz, 16-bit, mono). I have not seen much in the way of problems reported loading IRs since the earliest firmware revisions and even then they were infrequent and usually due to pilot error. The first thing I would check is that your firmware and Editor versions are properly matched. I do remember some people using a trick when they were having problems loading the IRs which was to drag the IR first to the desktop and then dragging it to the Editor but if things are operating normally you should not need to resort to this.

Where are you setting the level on the IRs? I think most of them come up at "-18" by default. If you set the level to "0" this could be part of the problem. Does the loud screeching when scrolling happen on multiple presets? If the preset you are using for testing is already too hot, putting the IR in may be putting it over the top. If you use a native Helix cab instead of an IR do you still get the same screeching effect? You may want to start by testing this out with a preset created from scratch with just an amp(no cab) and adding things one by one until you can replicate the screeching problem you are seeing on your other preset(s).

As DunedinDragon indicated you may want to double check and make sure you are loading the correct Ownhammer ".wav" files in the Helix format ( 48kHz, 16-bit, mono). I have not seen much in the way of problems reported loading IRs since the earliest firmware revisions and even then they were infrequent and usually due to pilot error. The first thing I would check is that your firmware and Editor versions are properly matched. I do remember some people using a trick when they were having problems loading the IRs which was to drag the IR first to the desktop and then dragging it to the Editor but if things are operating normally you should not need to resort to this.

Where are you setting the level on the IRs? I think most of them come up at "-18" by default. If you set the level to "0" this could be part of the problem. Does the loud screeching when scrolling happen on multiple presets? If the preset you are using for testing is already too hot, putting the IR in may be putting it over the top. If you use a native Helix cab instead of an IR do you still get the same screeching effect? You may want to start by testing this out with a preset created from scratch with just an amp(no cab) and adding things one by one until you can replicate the screeching problem you are seeing on your other preset(s).

Hmm, I think Windows would require you to unzip (IOW, drag a file to the desktop is one way), before it allows you to drag onto a program window.  Windows doesn't like to unzip in drag mode.  Mac might be different and allow you to drag directly from a zip file to a program.

Hmm, I think Windows would require you to unzip (IOW, drag a file to the desktop is one way), before it allows you to drag onto a program window.  Windows doesn't like to unzip in drag mode.  Mac might be different and allow you to drag directly from a zip file to a program.

You would be dragging a .wav file (IR) to the desktop, not a zip file. You have to unzip your IR's first.