Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Native Cost with Used Helix

Tehzim

My helix is coming soon and I won't have the original owner's receipt (it's coming used from a vendor).  Will I still be eligible for the $99 of Helix Native?  Also how do I register the Helix?  Does it need to be deregistered first?  Is that possible?

Hi,

your Helix has to be deregisterded by former owner (or never registered)and registered in your account.

And then, yes, you'll can get Native at $99

Only if the previous owner didn't buy Native with the discount.

The way to think of it is that each Helix comes with a coupon for the Native discount, and that coupon can only be used once.

The "one-bite-at-the-apple" likely may also apply to the Helix Native free 15 day trial period.

If the Helix Native discount value is material to your transaction, you're best advised to request the Helix's S/N from the vendor you're buying from so that you can cross check with Line 6 Customer Support. Otherwise, the used Helix deal you're buying into may wind up costing you $300 more than you anticipate (if you're intent on purchasing Helix Native). If the unit is already in transit to you, you should contact the vendor immediately to clarify if you desire to proceed with the deal and accept delivery, or reject delivery and rescind the deal. There is also a possibility that the vendor may adjust your price, but that would be between you and them and may already have been contemplated by you and them in your original deal for the used Helix. Hope it works out for you, as the Helix is a magnificent unit, and the Helix Native $300 discount is a great value.

My helix is coming soon and I won't have the original owner's receipt (it's coming used from a vendor).  Will I still be eligible for the $99 of Helix Native?  Also how do I register the Helix?  Does it need to be deregistered first?  Is that possible?

Here's a snip from the Helix Native Terms and Conditions: (http://shop.line6.com/helixnativeterms.html)

• Eligible Products must be purchased as new from an authorized Line 6 reseller (an “Authorized Resellerâ€). 
  • Purchases of Eligible Products from online auctions are not eligible for this Offer.
  • Eligible Products do not include refurbished products, “b-stock†items, open box items or returns sold “as isâ€, or other non-new products. 
  • Eligible Products must be owned by the Qualified Purchaser for a period of no less than one hundred eighty (180) days in order to qualify for the Promotional Savings.

It seems to me that your used Helix device will not qualify for the Helix Native discount even if the original owner did not use it.

Note the180-day minimum ownership requirement. This discourages short-term buy/sell of Helix devices simply to qualify for the discount. Line 6 tracks this and will/has revoked the discounted Helix Native license. For example, if the original owner of your Helix immediately obtained a Helix Native license and then sold/returned the Helix device in less than 180 days (not saying this is true) Line 6 will revoke the associated Helix Native license from the original owner if they discover the fact that the device was sold within the 180-day period. They would discover this when you register your new-to-you Helix device, specifying the already used serial number.

• 1 month later...

I bought Helix Floor one year ago and I bought Native as soon as it was released (99 $). I' m now selling Helix and I will not use Native any more. I should be allowed to sell Helix Floor together with Native licence (which I paid for). If this will not be the case, Line6 Native price policy will penalize current Helix owners. In fact the value of pre-owned Helix Floor should drop roughly 300 usd just because they are not eligible for Helix native discount. If you then buy Native, like I did, you loose 99 $ more.

IMMO there's something wrong. Native was intended to add value to Helix not to reduce it...

You can sell your used Line 6 software, .... just set your price, and use the "gift" process to transfer it to the new user's Line 6 account.

Line 6 doesn't allow gifting with Native. The license you have is permanently tied to your Line 6 account.

Line 6 doesn't allow gifting with Native. The license you have is permanently tied to your Line 6 account.

At the end of the day Native is lowering Helix cureent owners value. I'm sure that was not Lime6 goal but it is a problem that has to be fixed. A poosible solution could be allowing gifting with Native.

At the end of the day Native is lowering Helix cureent owners value. I'm sure that was not Lime6 goal but it is a problem that has to be fixed. A poosible solution could be allowing gifting with Native.

I think you're looking at the wrong way... If people sell their hardware after buying Native (technically it's supposed be at least 180 days before you sell the hardware, btw), they get to keep a fully functional copy of Native that they only paid $99 for... Seems like a good deal to me. As far the used market, I don't think Line 6 has any responsibility as to what goes on there. I guess you could make the argument that any promotion has the chance of impacting the sale price of used Helixes.

(technically it's supposed be at least 180 days before you sell the hardware, btw),

This is amusing. Just for the sake of argument, what's to stop anyone from buying a Helix once a week, and selling it? I mean it's weird, you'd lose money, and it'll land you on the cover of The Daily Moron...but why bother having an unenforceable policy? Who's gonna know?

This is amusing. Just for the sake of argument, what's to stop anyone from buying a Helix once a week, and selling it? I mean it's weird, you'd lose money, and it'll land you on the cover of The Daily Moron...but why bother having an unenforceable policy? Who's gonna know?

Cruisinon2,

Guess you must have missed this one, but you may want to check post #7 from “silverhead†higher up this thread, it may clarify the weirdness of buying and selling a Helix once a week idea. It seems to be covered in the Line6 T&C’s legal stuff. Who knew?

I bought Helix Floor one year ago and I bought Native as soon as it was released (99 $). I' m now selling Helix and I will not use Native any more. I should be allowed to sell Helix Floor together with Native licence (which I paid for). If this will not be the case, Line6 Native price policy will penalize current Helix owners. In fact the value of pre-owned Helix Floor should drop roughly 300 usd just because they are not eligible for Helix native discount. If you then buy Native, like I did, you loose 99 $ more.

IMMO there's something wrong. Native was intended to add value to Helix not to reduce it...

The "value" of a used Helix unit is not effected what-so-ever. Just because a Helix owner took advantage of a one time savings for a software purchase does not mean that the resale value of the totally separate hardware is effected. Helix and Helix Native are two independent items. 

Also, Line 6 (or any other company for that matter) does not take into consideration "used" transactions among the public or used "value" of their equipment when they are developing their marketing and distribution plans. 

The "value" of a used Helix unit is not effected what-so-ever. Just because a Helix owner took advantage of a one time savings for a software purchase does not mean that the resale value of the totally separate hardware is effected. Helix and Helix Native are two independent items. 

Also, Line 6 (or any other company for that matter) does not take into consideration "used" transactions among the public or used "value" of their equipment when they are developing their marketing and distribution plans.

I didn't realize my english was so bad ;( I was not able to explain my thought.

Let me try and explain once more what I was complaining for. Let's assume you buy a Helix Floor because you want to take a tour in the "digital world". Let's say you pay 1.400 $ for it. After some months you realize that's not for you and you try and sell your Helix. 1.100 $ be a reasonable price for a mint condition Helix floor. This could be the case before Helix Native showed up. In the Helix Native era, should you decide to sell the same stuff (possibly having also paid 99 $ for Native) the buyer will possibly tell you he'd like to have Native too. Your Helix will not be worth more than 800/900 $.

Maybe I'm wrong but I guess the buyer is wright.

Line 6 do have to take into consideration "used" value of their equipment: it affects people attitude to by expensive products.

The value of a used Helix appears to absolutely be affected by the advent of Native and its licensing policy. You would expect a used Helix to have a higher resale value if it still meets all of the Native discount requirements, with the transferable original receipt from an authorized seller that still includes a usable $300 discount for Native (original owner has not purchased Native). I don't believe that Line6 is necessarily responsible for what happens in the used resale market although an argument regarding that can probably be made. Their pricing and licensing policy with Native will impact the resale price of used Helices. I suppose a valid rationale on the part of Line6 would be that although you will get less for your used Helix without the ability to transfer Native you will still retain Native and this will compensate you for the reduced price you receive for selling your Helix without a Native discount.

This may result in a net win for the original Helix owner who will probably get a decent price for their used Helix, especially from a user who does not care about Native, and the original owner will still have Native to use. The downside will primarily be for original sellers who no longer have any interest in Helix or Native but have already used the Native license discount. That seller will probably receive less for their Helix than one with a valid Native discount. I can also see a potential downside for buyers of a used Helix without a valid Native discount who determine some time after purchase that they would like to have Native (which will then cost them $400), particularly if Native continues to add even more compelling features as I think it probably will.

I suspect this debate around the Native licensing policy may hang around for a while and might even result eventually in modifications to the policy (or not). I don't feel strongly about it either way right now but my sentiments could change depending on my future equipment/software decisions. Perhaps Line6 will figure out a way to offer a transferable Native license without resorting to a security dongle or the like. Another option could be a discounted price offered to registered owners of used Helices, maybe less substantial than that offered to the original owner. A discounted Native price for owners of used Helice's could help the resale price for the original owner as well as selling and putting more copies of Native out in the wild. A win-win-win for sellers, buyers, and Line6.

You didn't buy a Stradivarius. If you look at ANY gear purchase as an "investment", you're gonna be disappointed.

All other resale considerations ultimately boil down to this indisputable truth. Maybe things will change somewhere in the distant future for the occasional item held in nostalgic esteem but for now there is really no market that provides a resale value for digital modeling equipment that could possibly qualify it as an investment. Not unless you define an investment as a purchase that makes you money right now gigging/recording or provides you satisfaction as a musician. There is just no great way to anticipate which equipment will end up increasing in value and given that digital equipment is still improving by leaps and bounds every couple of years, your odds of it increasing in resale value or often even retaining significant resale value on the used market are even worse. If you have to sell digital gear you generally need to sell it within a reasonable time after purchase to recoup a good percentage of your buying price. It is not a Stradivarius (or even an old Stratocaster)!

Another solution is to buy Helix like I did and just enjoy it. You don't need Native for that.  ;)

• Upvote 1

The value of a used Helix appears to absolutely be affected by the advent of Native and its licensing policy. You would expect a used Helix to have a higher resale value if it still meets all of the Native discount requirements, with the transferable original receipt from an authorized seller that still includes a usable $300 discount for Native (original owner has not purchased Native). I don't believe that Line6 is necessarily responsible for what happens in the used resale market although an argument regarding that can probably be made. Their pricing and licensing policy with Native will impact the resale price of used Helices. I suppose a valid rationale on the part of Line6 would be that although you will get less for your used Helix without the ability to transfer Native you will still retain Native and this will compensate you for the reduced price you receive for selling your Helix without a Native discount.

This may result in a net win for the original Helix owner who will probably get a decent price for their used Helix, especially from a user who does not care about Native, and the original owner will still have Native to use. The downside will primarily be for original sellers who no longer have any interest in Helix or Native but have already used the Native license discount. That seller will probably receive less for their Helix than one with a valid Native discount. I can also see a potential downside for buyers of a used Helix without a valid Native discount who determine some time after purchase that they would like to have Native (which will then cost them $400), particularly if Native continues to add even more compelling features as I think it probably will.

I suspect this debate around the Native licensing policy may hang around for a while and might even result eventually in modifications to the policy (or not). I don't feel strongly about it either way right now but I suppose that could change depending on my future equipment/software decisions. Perhaps Line6 will figure out a way to offer a transferable Native license without resorting to a security dongle or the like. Another option could be a discounted price offered to registered owners of used Helices, maybe less substantial than that offered to the original owner. A discounted price for owners of used Helice's could help the resale price for the original owner as well as selling and putting more copies of Native out in the wild. A win-win-win for sellers, buyers, and Line6.