Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

4 Cable method use "Line or Amp" for the output?

Palico

I'm in the process of setting up a new rig for stage. I've picked up a Carvin Legacy I head that I really like and plan on using my HD500 to provide the effects. I've been long time Dream rig user and so the first time I've used the 4 cable method, using the HD500 for just effects. I'm pretty sure since the output is going back to the effects return I should be setting it for "Line" but double checking. Friday night I used the setup a show and ended up going using it set to "Amp" to control a bit for noise on the lead channel. Although the Carvin itself needs to be re-tubed so that might be why it was bit noisy. 

theoretically, as you know, should be set to LINE, but as always, what gives the best results is what counts at the end

Thanks for confirming. I wanted to make sure my thinking was right. Setting to "Amp" did oddly act as an attenuation/volume reduction. I had the volume on the head set to about 7 which should have blown the room out but didn't. Seemed like the wrong setting to me but got though the show without switching out to a backup amp.

so it seems that you just discovered a sort of volume attenuator trick, would be interesting to check if reducing instead the master volume of your amp and keep the switch to LINE wouldn't give better tone results

I suspect it would but this head doesn't have a master volume. I got a Rivera Rockcrusher attenuator for it so that I can turn it up bit and have some master volume like control. Carvin added a master volume on the Legacy 3 amps, but the original version 1 didn't include it. 

I've just started using the 4cm with my Egnater Tweaker 40 Combo and it sounds great. Here is how I have mine set up...

Output is set to combo power amp

Input 1 guitar/input 2 Variax

Input Z 1m

Mixer panned to center with volume A and B both +3dB

Effects loop after the mixer.

1/4 output to LINE as the AMP setting was too quiet.

FX return switch to stomp, that made a great difference.