Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

First Gig with Helix/Variax

gilesdavis

Hello all:

Been lurking for the last two months, since I bought a Helix and JTV-59 from Sweetwater.  I do a backing track solo act and decided to take the modeling guitar plunge.  I've been a POD user since the 2.0 days.  Thought I would share my experience.

My last set up included a PODXT live, a large pedal board that had both electric and acoustic paths.  I generally carried a telecaster and a SSH strat with  a Fishman powerbridge.  I would have to structure the sets to do songs using one particular guitar for a while, to keep the switching back and forth to a minimum.  For the most part, I had four presets set up on the PODXT: a twin, an ac30, a Marshall and a Mesa Boogie type sound.  That covered almost everything I did.

First gig with the Helix/Variax set up this weekend.  I am more than thrilled.  I set up one acoustic preset.  Snapshots are set for standard tuning, and one each for alternate tunings (capo 1, 2 and 3).  I set up a stomp to switch between 6 and 12 string. 

I then set up a preset for each song that used electric.  I attempted to match the sound as close to the recording as I could.  I only used stock cabs, no IRs. 

I am beyond pleased with the result.  Being able to only use one guitar and the ease of switching both amp and guitar sounds with a single stomp is amazing.

This forum was very helpful in answering questions that came up as I was setting everything up.

I also did or do a backing track solo act and I started with the VAX 700 and a POD XTLive.  I have since graduated through a JTV 59 and JTV89F, POD X3 live, HD500, HD500X and finally Helix.  I also am extremely happy with the Helix sound and versatility.  I tend to use the volume pedal to switch between an acoustic Variax Model and a distatorted magnetic pickups but I should start looking at snapshots to do the switchiong also.

I used snapshots within most presets.  Generally, there was one for rhythm and one for lead.  Some got a little more complicated, like Dirty Laundry.  I had three separate setups: A tele special though a Fender for rhythm, and two separate lead guitar/amp/effects for the Joe Walsh and Lukather solos.