Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HELIX - How do you output the audio for performance or recording?

MarkJarvis

HELIX - How do you input the audio for performance or recording? 

What I have observed is a big difference in the way Helix 'sounds' depending on how you input the audio.

I am using the XLR outputs and connecting to various pre-amps. I have a Focusrite Saphire, two channels of Liquid pre's and 8 channels of 

Prosonus Digimax. I decided just to see what the Helix sounded like through the Prosonus  (i usually use it for Keyboard channels).

I was reall taken back out how (in my opinion horrible) Helix sounded using the Prosonus, very harsh and 'fizzy' pre-amps are not clipping

and are set correctly. Then went back to the Focusrite and was like 'oh, thats better'.I have heard several discussions on here about Helix sounding bad or fizzy

or whatever so I ask..

HELIX - How do you output the audio for performance or recording?

Do you use a set of pre-amps, or go via SPDIF or some Audio Interface and what are your results ?

Have you noticed anything sounding better that the other?

Appreciate the responses

MJ

https://hearthis.at/joejeffries/supermassivemomentum-live-9-8-2017/

For recording. USB into the computer works great and I no longer have any other interface, as Helix is all I need.

For live, I never ever ever use a digital connection. They're too fiddly. No way you can tell the difference in a live room environment.

In fact, I never use the XLR out to FoH. Because if the sound guy has to spend time listening to me belly-ache about how he has to worry about the impedance, level and phantom power issues that I have, he won't have time to make the band sound good.

So... I use the 1/4" out to a Whirlwind DI, to the house. There is never any issue with that, and it sounds just the same.

Thanks All for the responses.

For me I use the additional audio interfaces because I have several keyboards, drums, Vocal processor  and a PODHD500

and that is a lot of inputs/outputs plus Helix line 6 USB driver doesnt get the latency as low as I need it for playing online over the internet

(the saphire gets down to 2.96 ms Latency @ 32 buffer size)

That said, I am going to try the USB connect of Helix just to hear the difference in the recording application