Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Merge block levels and panning law

Onomatopoeia

I've asked in the Facebook group and read some threads over here about the topic but some things about it still confuses me, so here we go again.

Is there any panning law by default in the Helix while using Y splits or AB splits followed by a merge block? At what dB? Is the signal lowered att the split or at the merge block?

I'm using a patch for my bass that has a y split in the beginning with some distortion blocks on path 1b, and no blocks on path 1a, followed by a merge block, some comp, mod and lastly a single amp block and a cab. I use this setup to "blend" the distortions with my clean bass tone before hiting the amp block. But something sounds "off" while doing this compared to just putting all the blocks on a single path.

I do understand how panning does work and that merging two mono signals results in a boost of 3db, two stereo signals in a 6 db boost, etc. Allthough i compensate by cutting the output block of the merge block I still end up by a signal that sounds either slightly boosted or with to little gain hitting the amp block.

The settup that seem to be working the best is to use a Y split with L+R hard panned to either side and then both panned center at the merge block + a -3db compensation at the merge blocks output gain. Even by doing this you can clearly hear a difference when moving fxs like a comp block before or after the split+merge.

Am I missing something? I do not have the dist blocks in path 1b on all the time and I want my blocks to get the same amount of signal after the split/merge as if I wasn't usinging parallel paths. Is this even possible?

There was a bit of discussion about Pan law over on the TGP thread, and elsewhere.

=1586637]https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?search/29802906/&q=Pan+law&t=post&o=date&c[thread]=1586637

Might be some good hints there.  You can also search Pan Law here as well, and find a few threads.

Yeah I think I've read them all. The problem is that it only seems like people are guessing. I've read in one of the threads that there actually is a 3db pan law, but it doesn't seem that way since you still end upp with a slightly boosted signal after the merge. I know that this probably won't be an issue if you put the merge LAST in the path, but it will cause problems if you merge before gain sensitive blocks.

LINE 6 really should clarify this so people can get the most out of their units.

• Upvote 1

I can not say that I have seen any Pan Law Tips & Tricks over on the HelixHelp.com site. Nonetheless, you may wish to do a quick Search there to see what may turn up. If nothing, there probably should be some content added there.

Unfortunately, there's nothing over there (atleast that I could find) on the topic.

LINE 6 really should clarify this so people can get the most out of their units.

I just wish they'd do a manual (or model guide) as awesome as those in the past, where they would explain the particulars of the gear being modelled and of the models themselves.

However, aside from a few really important details (like the emphasis parameter on the LA compressor or panning law, for example) I rather they spend their time creating new models than writhing about them.

Helix Core aka Helix firmware.

"Helix Core" is the term Digital Igloo used when describing upcoming Helix Native firmware releases. As Helix firmware is now platform inclusive (Helix Native, Helix Floor, Rack, and LT), my impression was that we'll begin to see Line 6 using the term "Helix Core" more often when referring to the Helix platforms' firmware. There was also at least one post mentioning likely 2.40 and 2.50 releases with 3.0 a long way off.