Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix native vs poulin plugin

bicycleday9797

I now it's a wired topic. recently I was tweaking with helix native but it didn't make me satisfied. I tried some Irs from rozen digital (1960 vintage) and it make my tone a little better. But still I can't understand why I have to pay 400$ for native in case it doesn't make much difference with a free plugin like poulin (lextac , lecto , legion).

Some times I feel lextac with a tse 808 and an Ir has a better tone than native.

I'm I alone here?!?

Generally I can't enjoy from amp Sims(bias , amplitube , guitar rig , revalver , th3)

I found native tone fizzy and thin.

Should I use a pre amp before my interface to make helix native tone more realistic?!?

Or change my 2i2 focusrite with a better interface?!?

Or use a di box?!?

Or what...

Thanks guyZ....

If you don't like amp Sims why use a modeler? If you have a good interface just mic your amps/cabs. You could get a nice mic for 400 if the Helix doesn't suit you. Don't forget though that you are paying for the software from a $1,000 machine and since it's new you'll still be getting free firmware and model updates.

this should probably be under native threads, anyway

I too find Poulin amps the best amp sims out there, and initially I have to confess I couldn't quite match them with Helix, but after some months of tweaking I managed to get somewhat better tones, not to mention the convenience of having my sound wherever I bring my helix

I have found that helix input has far more better dynamic range which is more suitable for guitar sound and this makes a HUGE difference. Since getting Helix I don't run my amp sims on focusrite saffire using its input, only spdif

[...] pay 400$ for native in case it doesn't make much difference with a free plugin like poulin [...]

Hard to compare apples and oranges...

Tip: Take a glimpse of the manual (pages 36 foll. - you'll see ;) )

http://de.line6.com/support/manuals/helix-native/

Check this out, too:

https://helixhelp.com/

More discussion here, please:

http://line6.com/support/forum/90-helix-native/

The LePou plugins are great, and I've used them on albums. But you get a lot more amps with the Helix (Native or otherwise), and a ton of stomp boxes and effects. And a ton of convenient routing options within the plugin.

I'm not going to comment on fizz or thinness; most of the time I think this is some sort of negative confirmation bias. Nobody has ever known when I've used amp sims on my recordings or when I used real amps.

If you don't like amp Sims why use a modeler? If you have a good interface just mic your amps/cabs. You could get a nice mic for 400 if the Helix doesn't suit you. Don't forget though that you are paying for the software from a $1,000 machine and since it's new you'll still be getting free firmware and model updates.