Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Volume via XLR L/R output

hal3001

I'm sorry to bring this topic up for the hundredth time.  I've owned my Helix for over a year and I've searched and read this question quite a number of times and I'm quite familiar with instrument/line level options for the outputs.  The levels I get are not inaudible but from other posts on this topic, they are definitely not as loud as some others have posted.  I would just like to be able to open a preset and not have to crank every output level to get it to a nominal output level.  

My question is actually pretty simple.   For the built in presets (not custom), what output levels out of the XLR mains do you get?   Since I've owned my Helix, I almost always have to go in and crank the master volume on the amp as well as the output block volume as well as the main volume knob to get levels anywhere near the -18db to -12db range on any mixer I use.  Originally, I was running into the line-ins into my Apollo 8 but had to change their reference level to -10db to get even close to loud.  I contacted support and they confirmed that XLR outputs in line mode should be at +4db.  At one point (I have a Helix Rack), I was using spdif into my Apollo and the levels there were very consistent across any of my (or the built-in presets) but recently I've moved it out of my rack and more for live use and I'm using it with an X32.  At least now, I do have actual trim on the mixer so I can bring the level up to a usable point without having everything on the Helix maxed out but I'm starting to wonder if this is normal?  Headphone levels are pretty much the same.  I've also used the Helix directly with a pair of ZLX-12Ps for practice and while I could get it to be loud, I had to set the trim on the 12Ps a little higher than 0db to get any kind of volume range.   One thing to note, is that most of the time, I have a G90 wireless that runs into the Aux guitar input but the levels are pretty much the same if I plug directly into the guitar in.

Interesting. I can get -18 to -10 db from my guitar directly plugged in to a blank preset. Unity gain is large volume bypassed in global or set to max.

I find all factory presets too loud and always turn down the "Ch Vol" in the amp block. The master in the amp block will affect the tone of the amp like in a real amp, so I don't use that for level changes.

It must be some sort of gain staging or impedance mismatch somewhere.

I'm not sure this will help, but, this is all I got.

I do not have any trouble getting good volume from the XLR outputs. I have the XLR outputs set to Mic level feeding into a XR18 mixer. The channel gain on the mixer is set at +15. The channel dBFS runs between -18 and -16, nominal.

I find that the volume levels on the stock presets are all over the board, so, I have to adjust the loud ones down to a useable level.

If this is the hundredth time you have brought this topic up and have not found a solution, it is way past time to open a ticket with L6 support.

I don't remember you posting about this a hundred times, your profile says you have 14 posts. 

A few questions:

1. So you are going Helix>XLR out>X32 in?

2. In global settings>ins outs, what is Guitar Pad set to?

3. In global settings>ins outs, what is XLR Outputs set to?

4. What guitar(s) are you using and what pickups?

5. You are saying it is very quiet using headphones connected to Helix as well, even with headphone volume turned all the way up?

6. In global settings>ins outs, what is Volume Knob Controls set to?

7. In global settings>ins outs, what is Headphone Monitor set to?

Sorry, I meant that there are tons of questions about low volume here in a couple other places but most of the time, it's as simple as having instrument instead of line level on the output of choice, or master volume being turned down, etc.  This is my first time asking because I kind of just figured it was normal since it's not unusable but then I started seeing people respond to similar questions say similar things about preset levels being too loud, etc.

1. Yes.  I am currently.  Originally, I was doing XLR -> Apollo 8 line in, but after moving to X32, I read that it could handle mic and balanced line on the XLR inputs so I chose to use that to make my snake choices easier.  Also, the problem existed long before the X32 with my original Apollo 8 and also into just a pair of powered monitors.

2.  I'll have to check when I get home but it should the default as I don't usually change that.

3.  Again, I'll check when I get home but I believe that setting is for instrument/line which should be set to line for me.

4.  A 2008 LP Standard, a 2017 LP Standard, PRS S2 Mira, and the same with a JTV-59 via VDI cable.

5.  Part of the reason I just thought it was normal is that it's not very quiet.  I'm not a high gain guy and I don't usually listen to music over 85dBC for very long so I don't really like loud.  Even with the headphones, 75% up a little quiet but usable.  Anything below is pretty quiet and I usually have to keep the headphone levels at 80-90% of full.

6.  I believe it's default so that it controls ... I don't remember everything that setting controls.  Again, I'll check when I get home.

7.  Probably default because I don't remember that setting at all but I'll check.

With the XLR outs set to line level, you really shouldn't have any problem getting a decent level. I have to careful not to clip the inputs on my mixer with the Helix outputs set to line level. Do you happen to have phantom power on those channels? That can attenuate the signal coming in from the Helix.

Do you happen to have phantom power on those channels? That can attenuate the signal coming in from the Helix.

That is the only other thing I can think of as well. Check to make sure phantom power is turned off a the X32 board on your channel. I go through an X32 as well and phantom power does something similar to my sound (very weak, doesn't come through well).

Wow, I had the opposite issue at first.  I had to put my XLR outputs to "Mic" level as it was too loud of a signal going into my studio monitors.  (Event BAS 20/20) My monitors are pretty freaking loud. I have them turned basically completely down on the monitors themselves. Mic level XLR outputs, and I probably don't ever turn my Main volume knob on the Helix past 50%. (Noon) Any higher than 50% and I probably couldn't stand to be in the room. (as it would be too loud for me)

There may be some kind of issue with your Helix Hardware.  But first check for Phantom power on those channels like Phil_M, and jbuhajla, above mentioned.

Nope, no phantom power.  I'm actually glad to know that it won't fry it if I accidentally enable phantom.  I was actually considering by a line isolator box just to protect against that.  

Just for a test, I just did a factory reset and loaded up the ANGL Meteor preset (assuming it is a loud preset) and with everything at default and confirm that XLR outputs were at line level, the only change I made I made was to turn the main volume know all the way up and I'm only getting around -18dB on my X32 meters.   Also tried on the Apollo and if I dropped the reference to -10 from +4 I could get it a little louder. 

Thanks everyone for your feedback.  I'm going to open a ticket.  Unfortunately, I just looked and I bought it in July of 2016 so I assume I'm probably also out of the warranty period.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.  I'm going to open a ticket.  Unfortunately, I just looked and I bought it in July of 2016 so I assume I'm probably also out of the warranty period.

If you have it registered at Line 6, it's two years. You are good.