Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using Helix live getting tube tone without tube power?

shawnt113

What are you guys using to power cabs for your Helix setup? I've been using a Fractal Audio Axe FX2, recently I got a Helix to give the AF2 a rest and keep it in the studio for a while. The one thing I have noticed is that when using solid state power the AF2 still sounds and feels tube, the Helix isn't giving me that same tone/feel. I have been using a Toneblock by Quilter, in the past I've used a QSC poweramp, and an ISP Stealth also, getting good results.

Does anyone here have any suggested settings to get real tube tone/feel using the Helix either direct or a solid state amp pushing a cab? I'm not expecting the Helix to get to where the Axe FX is but I would like to get it as close as possible. Thank you guys for any help you can offer.

Well why would ya...inferior product that it is? 😕

Not saying that it's inferior at all, when I got my AF2 it was on firmware 3.04, now it's on Quatum 8 which is equal to 28, it's been a journey to get to the level of realism it's at now. The Helix is designed amazingly, it's very well thought out, much more intuitive than the Axe Fx but if we're going to compare tone for tone the Helix just isn't there yet.

Not saying that it's inferior at all, when I got my AF2 it was on firmware 3.04, now it's on Quatum 8 which is equal to 28, it's been a journey to get to the level of realism it's at now. The Helix is designed amazingly, it's very well thought out, much more intuitive than the Axe Fx but if we're going to compare tone for tone the Helix just isn't there yet.

And the 1.21 gigawatt framistan modulator feeds a model 163 Fetzer valve. Who can compete with that? Lol...best of luck in your quest.

• Downvote 1

You should try some of Glen Delaune's https://www.glenndelaune.com/patch%20downloads.htm patches... may save you some time. It took me a wile to get the tones I have now and his patches made me look at things quite different from before i saw his. I guess mostly I was looking at things like you would in the real world of amps and FX and in Helix you can do things that would not work at all in the real world like putting a volume peddle after the cab...

• Upvote 2

I run my Helix in to the FOH live and monitor with house wedges and my EVZLX12P behind me. After a year, it has worked every time.  In rehearsals I just use the EV with no problem.  It fills the room just fine.  As far as "tube tone" I find my patch works fine - none of us miss the "tube tone". 

• Upvote 1

Thank you guys for your help this far!

Ive had zero luck with Helix thru a guitar cab. Using Helix as a guitar preamp into a power amp, and using the preamp AND amp models.  Tried my marshall with 25 watt greenbacks, my marshall with T75's, and my boogie with V30's. Power amps included simul class 2/90 and Rocktron velocity 250, and a vht 2502. Every model sounded the same. Some have more bass, more treble, more mids. Some have more distortion, more bass pre distortion, more treble pre distortion, more treble post distortion, but the tones all sounded exactly the same. Was not inspired to say the least.

Helix just isn't there yet. 

I dont think thats a fair statement. Major label recordings and tours were done with the lowly POD 2.0 and we all know Helix is a step up from it, so to say its not there can be pretty easily disputed.

Also AX may have been around longer than Helix but im sure Line 6 has as much if not more modeling experience under its belt, dating back to the early POD, so while technically you are probably right, its a fairly disputable statement.

Hi buddy! Welcome back!

I use Fryette Power Station Tube amp when I want to use a cab.

I always wanted to try a Quilter, as it is much lighter, but wonder if I can get a real tube sound like the Fryette does.

I had to show my band that the Helix can match my Fender Deluxe reverb, so I a/b'd the Helix FDR no cab to Fryette to the FDR speaker then, Helix clean no Amp to FDR amp and speaker, they were finally impressed, actually so was I.

I love having the choices! FRFR, CAB, IEM, depending on venue..