Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500 on Seymour Duncan Powerstage

d_sic3

Hi Everyone,

Creating this topic to check if someone has tried the SD's powerstage (power amp > cab) on a live situation.

The reason why I ask is for me to decide whether to go for an axe fx or keep using the pod.

I mainly use the pod for live use and I guess, won't be using it for any recording stuff.

Most forum suggests the axe-fx but I'm having second thoughts as I may just be wasting money as most of the people in the forum are using it for recording.

I'm doing live shows and I mostly use Mesa or Fender as my amps for dirt and cleans (sometimes tweed or ac30).

Hope someone can chime in their experiences.
I'm not here to bash anything, just wanted to get an honest opinion on the pro's and con's as far as my usage is concerned.

Thanks in advance.

Video checked both out. The 700 for stereo. Being very clean they are as good as what you put in front of it.

That is the answer! Seems pedal platform amps are the go this year.

I have seen the Wampler YT demo of theirs as well as the Blue guitar amp.

I went back to my original Peavey Renown when solid state ruled the world.

Those early Peavey's are reliable, outdoor concert loud on their clean channel.

Now these pedal platform amps are lightweight, world travelable if with the sampling voltage transformers in them

and solid state looks set to rule the world again.

Seems that the choices will get better as more of these class D lightweights are released by more pedal manufacturers and Amp makers

if they are selling well.

Video checked both out. The 700 for stereo. Being very clean they are as good as what you put in front of it.

That is the answer! 

Thanks, bjnette.  I think this poweramp's EQ can pretty much lower if not eliminate the "fizz" on some of HD's high gain models.

Cool!

On the fizz, any high gain amp can fizz with high gain. It is not a HD only.

The first cause of fizz will be fret buzz on your guitar. Make sure you minimize it

in your guitar first before looking at your amp or modeler.

I can also mic an amp loud and record it and even with just a bit of breakup

can get fizziness. It comes from the mic capsule being hit so hard the basket

itself resonates. 57's are renown for it. Always check the SPL a mic can handle

for the source you are using it for. Expensive mics handle high spl.

I am not going to say that on a model or two when L6 modeled the amp

the person who did it put the mic too close. But in case they did, try changing the mic model.

But I will say for live use putting a mic close to the grill cloth was to help

against bleed from drums. Recording or modeling, no way, let the speaker move some air and capture it.

You don't need an EQ as there is a myriad of tones in every slight degree of placement shift.

Other sources are the speaker cloth with a fold and ends that can rattle against the cabinet

or worse the speaker and you get fizz.

The other is when recording a high gain amp and the frequency of the mic capsule baskets goes into sympathy

with it at the resonant frequency of the basket and even the capsule itself. This is probably the main source of fizz.

If a model sounds too fizzy try and change the mic and/or use an EQ to zero in on the frequency of the fizz and cut the narrow band

slightly, too much and your whole tone will go. Another EQ band of a broad Q on the same frequency can be raised a bit to save tone as well.

The SD Pwr Stage won't be able to zero in but can be used as the broad Q.

Lastly, your ears!

When you zero on a frequency you can become hyper sensitive to it. It has been found that those suffering

from ringing or noise in the ear can train their ears out of the condition in many cases and not all if you have

a blown ear drum. The person is gotten to concentrate on various frequencies including the ringing frequencies and

the condition improves in many cases.

It is also amazing how many times a guitarist has asked for the monitor mix to sound a little brighter and you

turn the knob and look and your given the thumbs up. Then you notice you were tweaking the wrong channel or hadn't engaged the EQ.

You can laugh but it is a very real phenomenon. Your ears can play tricks on you.

Once you have made sure you have no fret buzz changed the mic model etc. Take a break and come back with fresh ears and perform.

• Upvote 1