Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Noob going for Helix!

marcofurtado

Hi guys.

Started playing guitar 4 years ago and always had mediocre gear. I know it sounds dumb but sometimes I just stop playing guitar because I hate the sound I'm getting out of my amp (I end up playin my electric guitar unplugged or go for my acoustic).

I have a HT5 from blackstar and even though some people love this thing I really don't like it.

I don't have a band (and don't intend to) so I just play in my room.

When I heard about products like the Helix I was really interested.

Now that I've decided to buy the helix I find myself reading about all of these speakers, pa, amps, frfr and I'm just lost.

I think I'm going for studio monitors and from what I've read the KrK, Aldos and JLB are the best choice. Is there a big difference between them or I just choose one and go?

I leave on a small island and there's no music shop. I need to order and try in my home.

Cheers

• Upvote 1

Hey marcofurtado,

Your idea about studio monitors is a pretty good one. If you dont intend to play live, but only at home, your best bet would be studio monitors and/or headphones.

You get (stereo!) high quality sound for similar money as a single good PA speaker or floor monitor. 

You can also use them for your computer or home theater as well (The Helix is a great audio interface for your computer). 

Additionally, studio monitors usually sound the same over a wide volume range, while bigger speakers sometimes do sound very different at  different volume levels. 

If you ever do change your mind about a band and do want to play live somewhere, you can plug your Helix straight into the PA (FOH).

If you want your own monitor you can get it when you need it. 

About different brands: The Helix will sound good with any decent speaker. There are so many tweaking options that you can adapt to different situations very flexibly. 

I am actually thinking about getting studio monitors myself (currently using an Alto TS210 active speaker) and am looking at the JBL LSR 305.  Maybe others can weigh in their experience with different studio monitors.

I have the JBL LSR305 and I'm very happy with them.  I'm no expert myself, but I did a lot of research, and, for the price these were among the best bang for the buck.  In general, most people who comment say thumbs down on the KRK, too much coloration, but I haven't tried them myself.  I'm not familiar with the Aldo (they are more prevalent in Europe I think?)

I've got StageSource L2t/L2m (love the flexibility of the L2t), one Alto TS210 (I love the portability of it, but only need that if you're moving around and jamming).  They all are comparable to my ears.  Alto sounds a little plasticy if you will, but, overall, I've been using it the most lately because of its portability. (half the weight of the L2's.)

Howdy!

THanks for all the replies! I belive I'll go with the JBL LSR305... I just play in my bed room so I think they will be enough.. Have you guys ever considererd the 308's?? I'm new to this so I wasn't aware of the size/type of room being so influential to speakers... I know that sound travels in space, but I never knew that it would be so crucial in what concerns bass and mids...

I have a typical bedroom with my computer, bed and book stand... Some people say that buying the 308's is a waste of money for small bedrooms... To be honest I'm just looking for something to play at low volumes, but of course that sometimes I can crank them bastards xD

After spending a good deal of time with both a set of the JBL LSR305 and the JBL LSR308 (as well as a pair of Yamaha HS8) used strictly as near field studio monitors, I opted for the larger JBL LSR308. The LSR308, for me, delivered the best sound, enlarged sweet spot, robust bottom end, and more headroom than the LSR305. Although they are quite a bit larger, and a bit more costly than the LSR305, if you can fit them in your space, they are exceptional for the price. I also found them smoother sounding than the Yamaha HS8, without the Yamaha HS8's significantly higher price. As these are Studio Monitors with exposed speakers, I do not use these as wedge monitors nor as floor positioned backline monitors. For that I did go Yamaha and got a set of DXR10 Monitors.

For price efficient bedroom use the LSR305 are great. If you have the space, do consider the LSR308 for a bigger fuller sound.

• 8 months later...
On 9/29/2017 at 6:36 PM, MusicLaw said:

After spending a good deal of time with both a set of the JBL LSR305 and the JBL LSR308 (as well as a pair of Yamaha HS8) used strictly as near field studio monitors, I opted for the larger JBL LSR308. The LSR308, for me, delivered the best sound, enlarged sweet spot, robust bottom end, and more headroom than the LSR305. Although they are quite a bit larger, and a bit more costly than the LSR305, if you can fit them in your space, they are exceptional for the price. I also found them smoother sounding than the Yamaha HS8, without the Yamaha HS8's significantly higher price. As these are Studio Monitors with exposed speakers, I do not use these as wedge monitors nor as floor positioned backline monitors. For that I did go Yamaha and got a set of DXR10 Monitors.

For price efficient bedroom use the LSR305 are great. If you have the space, do consider the LSR308 for a bigger fuller sound.

I know this is a p old post.  But how are you liking the lsr308's today?  I was really considering them expecially since you can get em for $149 each new these days, but then i read some reviews about the cheap enclosure and rattling.  I'd imagine mostly using them for guitar would be a lot different than using them for sub bass- but i'd be wanting to use my speakers for bass as well.  At this point I mostly play and record at home, but I do sometimes jam with friends- so i'm debating the headrush 112 versus a set of powered studio monitors.

anyways- how are you liking them?  do you use them for music/home theatre at all?  if so, how are they on that level?

and OP- what did you go with?  how do you feel about them?

• 1 month later...

@ckeibler85 I really do like the LSR308s. I've used them quite a bit and have not found anything to dislike. The LSR308 are not small. I do also have the LSR305s which serve wonderfully at near field. I also have the JBL Sub that I have used with both sets. For monitoring and general use the LSR series are very impressive. I have not encountered any rattling, vibration, nor other sonic oddities with any of them. I do not use them at thunderous SPLs, and both sets are at near field (no more than a few feet). As previously posted, for higher SPLs and at slightly greater distance of no less than about 8-10 feet, I use a pair of Yamaha DXR10 FRFR PA Monitors (either as wedges, standing vertically, or tilted back on amp stands, or on poles. For an Amp In The Room chest throbbing pant leg flapping experience I use my Fender 2x12 open back Mustang IV v.2 via the Mustang's L&R FX Returns.