Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Some help with FRFR...

colmac2000

I use a pair of JBL EON610’s for my stage FRFR when gigging. These work reasonably well, are light enough, don’t look too bad and aren’t that expensive. They aren’t the greatest sounding speakers, but seem to be a good compromise. Reliability is important too.

I think what you hear is very similar to what you would normally hear on a tube amp, at least what I heard in the sound clip on my computer speakers. I have some old Gibson amps and a fairly new hand-built tube amp, similar distortion/rumble characteristics.

Just to finish this thought...I recently played through a 1x12 valve combo that had exactly the same thing going on. So I think it does come down to particular amp characteristics (real or modelled) and also the speakers you use to listen to it. I found it much more obvious through the 1x12 combo and through FRFR than through a bigger guitar cab - I guess down to the frequency ranges that are being emphasised.