Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

M5 Noisegate?

kevin11007

• 1 year later...

I am interested in getting an M5. From reading this and other places I understand that the Noise Gate needs to be set for every preset.

On my tube amp and the 2 gain channels are a little hissy/noisy. To quiet this, every preset on my current multi effects pedal has the noise gate on. Seems the M5 functions a little differently. Since I can not change presets with one button press (need to hit both buttons, cycle up down to preset, hit both buttons) my question is:

If the noise gate is set to be used on a preset but the effect is turned off for that preset (on/off button), is the noise gate still engaged?

Here is a specific example:

Preset 2, Noise Gate is set, Chorus Effect is chosen for this preset, saved etc.

I have selected Preset 2 and have the Chorus Effect On (Chorus Effect is Active, Noise Gate is Active)

I hit the On/Off, Chorus Effect is Off (Chorus Effect is Inactive, Noise Gate is still Active)

I hit the On/Off, Chorus Effect is On (Chorus Effect is Active, Noise Gate is Active)

If the above is not true, then this pedal would be rather useless for my specific application and I will need to look elsewhere.

• 1 year later...

I am interested in getting an M5. From reading this and other places I understand that the Noise Gate needs to be set for every preset.

On my tube amp and the 2 gain channels are a little hissy/noisy. To quiet this, every preset on my current multi effects pedal has the noise gate on. Seems the M5 functions a little differently. Since I can not change presets with one button press (need to hit both buttons, cycle up down to preset, hit both buttons) my question is:

If the noise gate is set to be used on a preset but the effect is turned off for that preset (on/off button), is the noise gate still engaged?

Preset 2, Noise Gate is set, Chorus Effect is chosen for this preset, saved etc.

I have selected Preset 2 and have the Chorus Effect On (Chorus Effect is Active, Noise Gate is Active)

I hit the On/Off, Chorus Effect is Off (Chorus Effect is Inactive, Noise Gate is still Active)

I hit the On/Off, Chorus Effect is On (Chorus Effect is Active, Noise Gate is Active)

If the above is not true, then this pedal would be rather useless for my specific application and I will need to look elsewhere.

hello... So anyone tried it?

As I understand the noise gate is a universal effect (through setup menu) and a separate effect (in the distortion effect category by the EQ's). I believe the universal gate is engaged at all times, but I do not use the universal gate on my pedal.

From the M5 Pilot's Handbook:

Gate

Think of the Gate as a special additional pedal that applies to each preset. There is no footswitch control for this effect so only use it when you always want the gate engaged. This is handy for taming some of the wilder distortion and fuzz effects or use it to eliminate the hum you get from a guitar equipped with single coils. Your top right PARAMETER KNOB sets the THRESHOLD and your bottom right PARAMETER KNOB sets the DECAY of this effect.

• Upvote 1

thanks jamiek...

Well, I'm about to build my pedal board (Already have the M5) but I cannot make the test (turn effect off with the noise gate engaged) because I have no other pedals... so any help will be appreciated. 

Yes, the noise gate works exactly as you describe.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi I have trouble accessing the setup on the preset, when i press the model select once instead of accessing additional setup (midi, ng etc) I am switching in between effect groups. Can anyone advice?

Thanks

• 1 year later...

To answer the original question in this thread, when an effect is not on the noise gate is not active. I was a little disappointed by this as well. This means that out of the 24 presets only 12 of them are usable. Because if you are not actively using a preset, but you want the noise gate to remain on then you have to assign the preset that is just noise gate to every other preset number otherwise you will have to cycle through 24 different presets to get back to your noise gate setting.