Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is the Shuriken in standard tuning, on baritone acoustic setting better than JTV?

melodicdiscord

Hey, I recently picked up a used JTV-69 for an amazing price. While it definitely does some things well, I was disappointed with the degraded sound of the baritone acoustic settings. I've owned three real baritone acoustic guitars, and haven't been happy with any of them so far. I was hoping this could be a great solution, but the quality of the pitched down notes just isn't there. Is the Shuriken definitively better sounding then the JTV on a pure acoustic model in the baritone tuning setting? Can anyone post examples? I was using the stock Acoustic J model doing some light finger picking in first position on strings six to two. Will post audio examples if anyone is curious.

It has been boasted that because of the extra tension over the piezos (because of the longer scale length), the alt-tunings track better, but maybe Stevic only gets it to work due to some agreement he has with Batman - oh and maybe the amp modelling in Helix covers up any ugliness you can hear on an untainted acoustic tone?

Just a thought...

crusinon2,... true, up to a point.

The Shuriken has some patches designed by Stevic with our guys here, also known as artist patches.

So the Modeling is the same, just some of the Model patches selections are different.

Ugh...

Customer: "Does this car have the same engine as previous models?"

Salesman: "It comes in 3 new colors!".

Customer: "Marvelous, but that's not the question I asked".

It could have a model of an overdriven bassoon, or the world's most perfect approximation of a giraffe's mating call...but that really wouldn't have answered his question either. He asked about one of the stock acoustic models, which are all the same.

Maybe I should be more specific,... have a look at the Model selections for the Shuriken,

compared to the Model selections of the other Variaxes. Stevic came up with some of his own,

that we put into the Shuriken. The selector knob on the Shuriken reflects this.

Driving a bassoon Model from a string instrument would probably require more CPU overhead

to get the double reed emboucher correct, than it would from say a MIDI Wind controller.

Giraffe mating call would require more memory, maybe a wavelet decomposition would be

useful there.

Hmmm,... string initiated overdrive bassoon,... giraffe mating call with pitch shift,... interesting.

Like blending a sitar with a bagpipe. Nice.

I appreciate the feedback. So, basically I shouldn't expect it to be much different, except possibly because of the extra tension. Sadly, I feel like I knew all of that already haha. Here is some audio to show what I'm dealing with. It's not the worst, but definitely not what I would call a professional tone. Played something slow low and simple to hear the notes. https://soundcloud.com/michaeljperrotta/finger-picking-standard-and-baritone-jtv69/s-aXiwj

If anyone with a Shuriken wants to play and record something similar on the J model, in standard and baritone that would be great!

I appreciate the feedback. So, basically I shouldn't expect it to be much different, except possibly because of the extra tension. Sadly, I feel like I knew all of that already haha. Here is some audio to show what I'm dealing with. It's not the worst, but definitely not what I would call a professional tone. Played something slow low and simple to hear the notes. https://soundcloud.com/michaeljperrotta/finger-picking-standard-and-baritone-jtv69/s-aXiwj

If anyone with a Shuriken wants to play and record something similar on the J model, in standard and baritone that would be great!

Significantly altered tunings can get to be a problem...left in standard tuning, the acoustic models are quite convincing.

• 4 months later...

Is there such a baritone acoustic guitar around to compare it to? Maybe that is what an acoustic baritone guitar really sounds like? I would think that deep tones from a regular acoustic guitar would sound that way because of the size of the sound box not being large enough to resonate well. I liked how it sounded.