Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Momentary snapshots?

themetallikid

Just curious about this feature....I'll explain...

We play a few songs where there are lead parts for a few seconds that stand out, and then I fall back into rhythm.  On my Axe FX/Liquid Foot rig, I could setup a switch to turn on my 'lead settings' (whatever they were) when it was depressed, and when I lifted my foot it would revert back to the previous preset.

I don't think I've seen anything like that on the helix in my digging around so far.

Curious if that is something that can be done, or possibly incorporated in the future.  Its a pain to step on a snapshot for a lead phrase, then another one to turn it off for just a few seconds of playing, while trying to sing at the same time.  Not saying it can't be done, but anything to help focus on the performance and less on the process is better. 

On a side note, I usually only use one expression pedal, and I have an additional Mission Engineering pedal.  I used to use that to also turn on/off lead settings.  Toe down was rhythm, and it would auto engage lead stuff when it was lifted 5% or so....is that something that can be set as well?  Can I attach the expression pedal to change snapshots? For example

Snapshot 1 - Rhythm

Snapshot 2 - Chorus

Snapshot 3 - Clean

Snapshot 4 - Lead

Expression pedal toe down would be Snapshot 1, heel down would trigger snapshot 4

I'm guessing something like that also can't be done.   Any other suggestions?

You can do that with a stomp. You can control quite a few parameters with a momentary stomp switch. 

Of course, the only issue, and it may not matter... You only get one shot wiith Stomp switches, so you can't control those parameters with other stomps.  So you can't individually control the effects that are controlled by the momentary switch.

Is that something I can do on board in the 4 preset/4 snapshot mode, or something that I'd need to add externally? 

You'd have to change to stomp/snap mode to have access to stomps.  You'd still be able to cycle up or down with your preset buttons.  But you can assign multiple settings to a single stomp just like a snapshot and designate it momentary.

Of course, the only issue, and it may not matter... You only get one shot wiith Stomp switches, so you can't control those parameters with other stomps.  So you can't individually control the effects that are controlled by the momentary switch.

True, but if you are just changing a parameter value of something that is already turned on, then you are good. I do this with amp drive and channel volume, OD pedal drive, etc with a stomp. If you just want to kick up the drive a bit, and maybe boost the mids for your lead, you can do that with a momentary stomp, or expression pedal.  

So if I'm understanding this right...

I would switch from 4 preset/4 snapshot > 4 preset/4 stomp mode (seems there isn't much difference between stomp/snapshot modes, or am I missing something)

Then create my 'snapshots' for each stomp.  So I could setup the basic rhythm preset sound, and then each of the 4 'stomps' I can assign whatever changes to that rhythm sound that I would like.

Stomp 1 - reduction in input volume to the amp (clean-er sound)

Stomp 2 - adding modulation effect

Stomp 3 - Momentary Lead sound (delay, drive, gain, mids added), button would be on when pressed only, then disable those changes when released?

Stomp 4 - lead sound (same changes as Stomp 3, but regular button reaction of on or off

Am I missing something there or are Stomps and Snaps more different that I'm imagining.

Am I missing something there or are Stomps and Snaps more different that I'm imagining.

Stomps and snaps can effectively do the same/similar thing, but with stomps you have a limited number of parameters and you have to "manually" program each one for that foot switch.

Snaps can control many more parameters, and you don't have to manually program to the particular foot switch. A snapshot is just that, it is a saved snapshot of all of your block states, as well as control over parameters you decide to control (parameters you set in brackets). I think of snapshots as like a screen shot on your computer. You set up your preset, save to snapshot 1...set up your preset a different way, save to snapshot 2, etc... That is why you cannot move any of your blocks to a different location, they are snapshots (or screen shot) of your preset with different states of parameters. 

Got ya...so just to homogenize the vocabulary I've had to use over the years with different rigs......

When I had my AFX ran by my Ground Control Pro, I had 4 preset buttons, but then had 8 Instant Access switches.  What I could do was program that IA switch to trigger a specific MIDI number, and adjust the AFX Blocks so that MIDI #60 would trigger the on/off stage of my lead stuff (drive/delay/mids/gain). 

I'm guessing the stomp mode is the same thing, but because the guts/controller are all one, the 'MIDI' programming part is removed and its just attaching the delay to that IA/Stomp switch to be on/off. 

Just to be clear, I could have my rhythm patch as just the AMP/CAB, REV blocks, but then my Stomp 1 - Modulation would have a signal of CHO, AMP/CAB, REV blocks, Stomp 4 Lead would have COMP, DRIVE, AMP/CAB, DEL, REV?

Or does the preset have to have all ingredients in it and the stomp will activate/deactivate what is necessary.  I'm guessing each stomp only needs what is 'in' that specific one...if I'm understanding correctly

I would switch from 4 preset/4 snapshot > 4 preset/4 stomp mode (seems there isn't much difference between stomp/snapshot modes, or am I missing something)

Then create my 'snapshots' for each stomp.  So I could setup the basic rhythm preset sound, and then each of the 4 'stomps' I can assign whatever changes to that rhythm sound that I would like.

Stomp 1 - reduction in input volume to the amp (clean-er sound)

Stomp 2 - adding modulation effect

Stomp 3 - Momentary Lead sound (delay, drive, gain, mids added), button would be on when pressed only, then disable those changes when released?

Stomp 4 - lead sound (same changes as Stomp 3, but regular button reaction of on or off

No, you would keep your existing 4 preset/4 snapshot configuration, you would/could just, momentarily, switch to stomp mode (footswitch 6 Mode).

Got ya...so just to homogenize the vocabulary I've had to use over the years with different rigs......

Or does the preset have to have all ingredients in it and the stomp will activate/deactivate what is necessary.  I'm guessing each stomp only needs what is 'in' that specific one...if I'm understanding correctly

Yes, all ingredients have to be in there. Take a look a Richie Castellano's video, it does a really good job explaining the concept and steps through setting it up. 

I will check that out tonight (possibly). 

No, you would keep your existing 4 preset/4 snapshot configuration, you would/could just, momentarily, switch to stomp mode (footswitch 6 Mode).

So at the risk of melting my insides with thoughts on this.......So if I'm understanding your explanation of my misunderstanding (lol)

I can have a preset, we'll call it 'Crazy Train'. 

I can have 4 snapshots of that preset: 1) Opening Rhythm,  2) Verse Rhythm (slightly more gain), 3) Blank/Empty, 4) Lead

if I wanted a momentary 'stomp', I could also setup a stomp for that 'Crazy Train' Preset, and use footswitch #6 to toggle between the 4/4 mode and stomp mode?  That would give me access to a momentary lead boost (this would be different than the #4 Snapshot above?)

If I'm not misunderstanding or missing anything with that scenario, I can see where that would be helpful. 

I will check that out tonight (possibly). 

So at the risk of melting my insides with thoughts on this.......So if I'm understanding your explanation of my misunderstanding (lol)

I can have a preset, we'll call it 'Crazy Train'. 

I can have 4 snapshots of that preset: 1) Opening Rhythm,  2) Verse Rhythm (slightly more gain), 3) Blank/Empty, 4) Lead

if I wanted a momentary 'stomp', I could also setup a stomp for that 'Crazy Train' Preset, and use footswitch #6 to toggle between the 4/4 mode and stomp mode?  That would give me access to a momentary lead boost (this would be different than the #4 Snapshot above?)

If I'm not misunderstanding or missing anything with that scenario, I can see where that would be helpful. 

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

When you said I would switch from 4 preset/4 snapshot > 4 preset/4 stomp mode

What I meant was, you wouldn't have to change from preset/snapshot mode. You could hit the Mode button (6) and it would take you to Stomps and then hit it again and it would bring you back to preset/snapshot.

I just tried it. Works like a dream. Took less than 5 minutes to configure.

Like you, I also use 4 Presets / 4 Snapshots as my home base.

When I switch to Stomp mode, I configured the footswitch for the OD  to 1) turn on the OD and 2) change amp gain to 10. This action is momentary.

So, I'm in 4 Preset / 4 Snap mode. I choose my Preset. I switch to Stomp mode. When I push the footswitch for the OD it turns on the OD and boosts amp gain to 10. When I let go of the footswitch, everything goes back to the way it was.

It is important to note that this action is per Preset, so, you get the same action on all Snapshots for that Preset. This could be a good thing.

It is also important to note that turning the OD off and on is actually a toggling action, so, if you have the OD normally On in one of your presets, going to Stomps and pressing that footswitch is going to toggle the OD off as long as you hold the footswitch. I don't see this being a problem, but, worth mentioning.

Your original idea of a Momentary Snapshot is a much more elegant solution, but, this might be a viable workaround albeit you have to switch to Stomp mode to get there.

Edit: Don't forget to rename the scribble strip from "Multiple" to "Lead Boost" or whatever.

Thanks for the notes and checking that out.  So, what I gather is that it 'works'....

What I also gather is that if I have an OD in front of an AMP for my rhythm sound, by assigning the stomp to the OD, it will automatically toggle the on/off status to the opposite of what it currently is?  So not only adjusting the parameters you specify, but also the on/off bypass status?

Thanks for the notes and checking that out.  So, what I gather is that it 'works'....

What I also gather is that if I have an OD in front of an AMP for my rhythm sound, by assigning the stomp to the OD, it will automatically toggle the on/off status to the opposite of what it currently is?  So not only adjusting the parameters you specify, but also the on/off bypass status?

It wouldn't have to be that way. If you wanted, you could configure it to only (momentarily) boost the drive parameter on the OD when you were holding the footswitch.

The above is just an example of what you could do.