Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Help with getting a tone similar to this

spearmint95

Hello fellow Helix users! I'm currently playing around with trying to get a tone that's...uh, how should I put it. I guess you could say I want the swirly sustain-y cleanliness off a Marshall or something but with a some nice crunch/overdrive.

I've been at it for a little bit and have come up with some sounds I like but I was hoping that maybe you guys could give me some tips that'll point me in the right direction! I understand there's some panning and mixing stuff going on, but the sound that I'm going for is something similar to the intro before the first verse!

It's not likely you'll be able to simulate the opening since that's two guitar tracks together.  One track is more of a mid scooped power chord while the other is more fender-y and played on the higher strings.  You might come close using two amps in parallel but I'm not sure you'll get the fullness of the chords being played.

Well that's a Marshall JCM 800 behind her. It's called the Brit 2204 in the Helix. The guitar looks like this Fender Classic series '72 telecaster custom electric.

http://www.samash.com/fender-classic-series-72-telecaster-custom-electric-guitar-maple-fingerboard-3-tone-sunburst-f7502300?cm_mmc=GoogleShopping-_-Guitars-_-Channeladvisor-_-Fender+Classic+Series+%2772+Telecaster+Custom+Electric+Guitar++3-Color+Sunburst,+Maple+Fingerboard&utm_source=GSH&utm_medium=CSE&utm_campaign=Channeladvisor&CAWELAID=1594701992&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=28120526597&CATCI=pla-288977263594&catargetid=500002510000071249&cadevice=c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5uP5oPvF1gIVFrbACh10yg1_EAQYASABEgL7nvD_BwE

I guess you could start there. Not that what you see in a video is what was used in the studio but, again, it's a start.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I'll play around with the Brit!!

It's not likely you'll be able to simulate the opening since that's two guitar tracks together.  One track is more of a mid scooped power chord while the other is more fender-y and played on the higher strings.  You might come close using two amps in parallel but I'm not sure you'll get the fullness of the chords being played.

That's what I was afraid of! Well I'm hoping I can at least get something close that's the best of both worlds, crunchy and clean blended together by two amps! Thanks!

That's a cool song. The bass lines are great.

Yeah I think the whole song is pretty neat!