Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How do you handle high end brightness of the Helix?

Lkdog

A similar approach might be to use the global EQ to tailor the EQ for your patch, then copy the results into the patch with a combination of cab/IR high/low cut and parametric or other EQ.

Also try boosting the high frequencies to see which ones stand out as bing particularly bad, and then cut a bit at that frequency. Sometimes its easier to hear what’s bad by boosting and cut than to hear what’s good by cutting directly.

Important points and tips, thanks amsdenj. I use the method you mention - (sweeping the parametric with a high db boost and narrow Q) for finding offending frequencies all the time. It has always been my primary method for dialing in a parametric. The method I detailed on the previous page is just an alternative that some may find easier to use or helpful in addition.

I have found that most tube amps, real and simulated, have harsh sounding resonances at 4.1 khz and 8.2 khz.  By using a separate a separate Cab block it is possible to insert a Parametric Eq block between Cab and Amp:

Amp Block >> EQ (4.1khz/-3db/Q4 & 8.2khz/-3db/Q4  & High Cut 10khz) >> Cab Block

Of course these settings are a rough ballpark but do much to alleviate that harsh fizz.  By isolating the problem children more of the finer harmonics are allowed to pass through.  Smaller additional tonal adjustments can be made at the amp (reducing Presence/Treble) and Cab block (High Cut 7-10Khz) without destroying that sweetness.

Additionally, I have found ribbon and condenser mics at moderate distances sound less harsh than dynamic mics. Also, a little Early Reflection (10-20%) can smooth out the High end too. 

This method incorporates a series of smaller adjustments along the signal chain rather than using drastic high cut filtering.

• Upvote 1