Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is Line 6 going to create new amp and effects model's

Megadeth1313

I was just wondering if Line 6 will ever create new amps and effects models to add to the HD 500x series...... it sure would be nice to have some new stuff to Tinker around with

Congratulations, you are the 4,383,247th person to ask that question! ;) Today's prize is a large dose of reality:

1) 99.97% of the folks around here don't know the answer to that question, no matter how often it's asked.

2) The remaining 0.03% aren't talking.

3) The $500 modeler is an endangered species.

4) Numbers 1 through 3 notwithstanding, it's not particularly likely. The POD is a many years old platform at this point. The various Helix iterations (and the continued evolution thereof) are clearly the focus now.

5) See pianoguyy's answer above.

6) Lather, rinse, repeat...;)

• Upvote 1

Congratulations, you are the 4,383,247th person to ask that question! ;) Today's prize is a large dose of reality:

1) 99.97% of the folks around here don't know the answer to that question, no matter how often it's asked.

2) The remaining 0.03% aren't talking.

3) The $500 modeler is an endangered species.

4) Numbers 1 through 3 notwithstanding, it's not particularly likely. The POD is a many years old platform at this point. The various Helix iterations (and the continued evolution thereof) are clearly the focus now.

5) See pianoguyy's answer above.

6) Lather, rinse, repeat... ;)

It may be an endangered species, but that doesn't mean it turns suddenly bad. Lol.

Just for the hell of it I turned on my HD500X, a very rare event, and started playing through the various presets I made since I got the thing. Being used to Helix, I was actually quite surprised by how good the tones sounded and felt, in particular one with the 5150 amp. And god damnit! why can't Helix have an auto volume like the one in the HD?

Well My Grand Mother said " Hey lollipop don't be a lollipop !!!!! "    stay on Target ...... Stay on Target .....  Hey !!!!!  Red Five you switch of your Trolling Button.....  Now that we are though acting like 12yr kids..... with their first Radio Shack Computer The ( Tandy 4000x-BS )... LOL !!!!

I'll ask again to a more intelligent Group...... ( The Developer's of the Line 6 Line of products )

Not the Trolling As@ Mulches who have nothing to offer with ( Their )  Syndical Comments.....   I'll Ask Again.....    

Please to The  .............  Developer's of the Line 6 Line of products of the ( HD 500X )....... I'll ask again.....

" I was just wondering if Line 6 will ever create new amps and effects models to add to the HD 500x series...... it sure would be nice to have some new stuff to Tinker around with Please ?"         

Not the Trolling As@ Mulches who have nothing to offer with ( Their ) Syndical Comments..... I'll Ask

This has nothing to do with being "syndical" (it's really tempting to make fun of this, but I digress...)

Go ahead and keep asking...and try not to be discouraged by the thundering silence of the developer's "reply".

May the Force be with you.

Not the Trolling As@ Mulches who have nothing to offer with ( Their ) Syndical Comments..... I'll Ask

This has nothing to do with being "syndical" (it's really tempting to make fun of this, but I digress...)

Go ahead and keep asking...and try not to be discouraged by the thundering silence of the L6's "reply".

May the Force be with you.

You know it wouldn't do them any harm to port their new amp and FX models from the Helix to

the HD models after Helix sales flatline.

They could get another $100 bucks from us easily with a bungle.

So while the HD might end up being discontinued from production it might

be profitable to continue to add the occasional or another one off support.

So I say yes they will in a year or so

If things go the way of the XT and X3 than "no" it will not happen. The HD is robust and even with the zillion things on Ideascale the money will be allocated for the Helix and the Helix LT. The LT IMO is supposed to be the HDs successor.

You know it wouldn't do them any harm to port their new amp and FX models from the Helix to

the HD models after Helix sales flatline.

They could get another $100 bucks from us easily with a bungle.

Correct me if I am wrong - 

Didn't they have to reprogram the 500 to be able to make room for the current model packs? I mean, isn't that why we can no longer (easily) get setlist names to appear/change. 

In order to make room for another round of 30 extra amps, what more little bits of the 500 are you willing to sacrifice. 

Nothing lasts forever. Get used to planned obsolescence... that's how our economy works now. Buy something and use it until you're either tired of it, or it craps the bed. But lamenting over the lack of ad-ons for a product that's 6 or 7 years old at a minimum, is ridiculous...

Best part is, if Helix didn't exist and L6 was still aggressively pimping the HD series, everybody would be whining "when are we gonna see a new unit?" Nobody's ever satisfied...

Every time I wished I had some new/different overdrive effects to play with on my 500x, I remember how much more practice I need.

Cruisinon is right BTW. It's been said a bazillion times, the 500 is old and we shouldn't expect Line 6 to still be investing in it. If you outgrew it, sell it and buy something newer with more to offer. Personally, I'm glad Line 6 continues to push forward and not focus on things they did 7 years ago.

If things go the way of the XT and X3 than "no" it will not happen. The HD is robust and even with the zillion things on Ideascale the money will be allocated for the Helix and the Helix LT. The LT IMO is supposed to be the HDs successor.

Not sure about this. That would suggest that Line 6 intends on killing off the POD series entirely, which has gone through many iterations.

My assumption was, Line 6 created the Helix series as a high end series to compete with Fractal and Kemper, and demoting the POD series

to mid end and would continue making them. That's what the pricing points suggest to me anyways, i could be wrong. Has there been any

official statements from Line 6 that they're retiring the POD brand ?

Not sure about this. That would suggest that Line 6 intends on killing off the POD series entirely, which has gone through many iterations.

My assumption was, Line 6 created the Helix series as a high end series to compete with Fractal and Kemper, and demoting the POD series

to mid end and would continue making them. That's what the pricing points suggest to me anyways, i could be wrong. Has there been any

No one ever makes statements saying they are killing off an actively sold product. 

But there have been forum posts saying things like "if we were to re-sign our contract with the manufacturer we wouldn't be able to make a $500 unit"

I don't think the POD series will be done per se', Its too recognizable brand. I do believe that the HD series (like PG sez) is hitting the price point where decisions on the path forward have to be made. What modeling tech would be the question and Helix modeling would be the way forward IMO.

Most people don't keep their phone for 7 years and it usually costs more than the PODHD.

But music tech doesn't move as fast. 

In fact, keyboards still used floppy discs until Microsoft and Dell determined that they weren't going to use floppy drives as standard equipment. Most MIDI files are single digit kilobyte files, maxing out at 100-200 kilobytes. Who needs an 700mb CD. We'd probably still be using them if we had a choice. 

I mean, just think of our Pod files measuring 4.03kb. Sure, a Bundle is 2mb, But you can fit 288 individual patches on a single floppy disc. Do we need to talk in terms of Giga and Tera when Kilo and Mega are plenty?

I remember when Kawai (always the innovator, never the imitator) started putting USB in their units. It failed miserably because it was useless tech. We only needed 3.5" floppy. 

And then, when the floppy went away and USB had become more prominent, they were hesitant to use USB again because of their previous experience. 

I don't think the POD series will be done per se', Its too recognizable brand. I do believe that the HD series (like PG sez) is hitting the price point where decisions on the path forward have to be made. What modeling tech would be the question and Helix modeling would be the way forward IMO.

So, instead of doing away with "Pod", they do away with the HD. They keep the Pod moniker and make it a Pod HX. 

That makes much more sense. "Pod" existed before "HD" existed. 

Pianoguy quote "Correct me if I am wrong -

Didn't they have to reprogram the 500 to be able to make room for the current model packs? I mean, isn't that why we can no longer (easily) get setlist names to appear/change.

In order to make room for another round of 30 extra amps, what more little bits of the 500 are you willing to sacrifice."

You might very well be right about this pianoguy. I didn't think about this at all.

I'd be willing to sacrifice a couple of preset slots. But, I wont hold my breath for it.

As for the setlist change appear thing, I dont have any trouble with setlists name changing, easily done including the factory ones

Auto volume?!

In the HD it's grouped with the delays. Helix does have one, called an autoswell, but it's based on a gate opening and closing (tweakable) which makes it of limited use. The one in the HD can create a very nice violin type effect every time a note is hit, regardless of when the previous note was hit, something the autoswell in Helix cannot do unless you stay to a very strict pattern of playing.

• Upvote 1

Why do computers get cheaper but modelers get more expensive ?  

Amplifiers are getting less expensive.  The Helix and a real amp are a wash to me as far as price.  Given the choice I'll go for the real thing.  Kind'a like having sex with a real woman or a blow up doll.  Yeah they both get the job done and one is easier to carry around even though people make fun of you for not having the real thing.  Hmmmm, modelers are exactly like this.

In the HD it's grouped with the delays. Helix does have one, called an autoswell, but it's based on a gate opening and closing (tweakable) which makes it of limited use. The one in the HD can create a very nice violin type effect every time a note is hit, regardless of when the previous note was hit, something the autoswell in Helix cannot do unless you stay to a very strict pattern of playing.

Helix has two autoswell delays as well... They were added at the same time as the other Autoswell effect. One is called the Adriatic Swell (based on the Adriatic Delay), and the other is called Vintage Swell (based on the Vintage Delay).

Amplifiers are getting less expensive.  The Helix and a real amp are a wash to me as far as price.  Given the choice I'll go for the real thing.  Kind'a like having sex with a real woman or a blow up doll.  Yeah they both get the job done and one is easier to carry around even though people make fun of you for not having the real thing.  Hmmmm, modelers are exactly like this.

Computers are getting less expensive in some regards, but in other regards they aren't. It depends on the hardware. With a device like the Helix, a large portion of the cost is directly related to the tooling and production associated with making a purpose-built housing with footswitches, scribbles strips, LEDs, etc. The actual DSP chips aren't really the cost drivers. I mean, there are plenty of people making cheap modelers with plastic housing or whatever, and there always will be. But that is a different class of product than the Helix.

As far as people making fun of you... I've never had it happen, and I've been using modelers for over 15 years in one way or another.

Amplifiers are getting less expensive. The Helix and a real amp are a wash to me as far as price. Given the choice I'll go for the real thing. Kind'a like having sex with a real woman or a blow up doll. Yeah they both get the job done and one is easier to carry around even though people make fun of you for not having the real thing. Hmmmm, modelers are exactly like this.

Sales volume explains much of it, I suspect...How many people own a laptop vs. a guitar modeler? All companies need to recoup R&D and production costs, but some will have an easier time than others depending on how many units they expect to sell. You can get rich beyond the dreams of avarice if you're selling something that half the population is gonna buy (Philip Morris... cough, cough ;) ). And you can afford to let each unit go for a little less than you could theoretically get, because you'll make up the difference in volume...but that's not really the case with stuff like this. It's a very specific product, purchased by a very small demographic.

Helix has two autoswell delays as well... They were added at the same time as the other Autoswell effect. One is called the Adriatic Swell (based on the Adriatic Delay), and the other is called Vintage Swell (based on the Vintage Delay).

Those have the same basic problem (problem for me anyway) as the one in dynamics. They also have an additional problem, which may be a bug or intentional, not sure, such that even with a low mix, 0% for example, the dry signal is affected by the swell part. Seeing that these are delays, I would assume only the delayed part of the signal would be affected, unless the mix is 100%.

Those have the same basic problem (problem for me anyway) as the one in dynamics. They also have an additional problem, which may be a bug or intentional, not sure, such that even with a low mix, 0% for example, the dry signal is affected by the swell part. Seeing that these are delays, I would assume only the delayed part of the signal would be affected, unless the mix is 100%.

It's intentional... The dry signal has always been affected with Line 6's Auto Volume delays.

It's intentional... The dry signal has always been affected with Line 6's Auto Volume delays.

Yea. I just checked this on the HD. Never noticed that before because I only ever used this effect as the first in the chain with 100% mix, time min, and fb 0%.

It depends on your application, I just bought an HD500x to replace a Marshall dsl40c with TC Electronics G Major in the loop and a couple hundred dollars in pedals up front. Not a million dollar rig, but decent enough I think. Why? Because its a headache to run a very loud tube amp where I play, in a church setting. I can put this thing down, plug in power, guitar, and one line in and be done with it. At the same time I get a decent midi controller if I want to run my Marshall rig anywhere else. 

LOL By the time you turn down a tube amp you might as well go solid state as they were originally made to sound clean

but someone decided to turn it up and the tubes over saturated clipping the signal voltage and produced odd and even harmonics

now known as an amps distortion characteristics.