Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to make different presets the same Volume / Noise issues

Valith

Hello everyone,

1) I am using my Helix with a Mesa Boogie JP2C and I noticed when I switch presets, there are volume differences. I expect this is normal depending on your effects settings etc. But is there a simple way to have all the presets set at the same volume? 

2) I also had another question (sorry about this) how should I connect my Helix and JP2C to an Audio Interface? I use the 4 cable method, but what output should I use to send to the input of my USB Audio Interface? (It is just a scarlet solo so nothing special, but it only has a mic input and a guitar input).

3) Last question I promise, again sorry about all of the questions, I figured I would just ask them all in one post rather than make multiple posts.

When using the Helix With the JP2C (even with the Cabinet turned off) there is a lot of noise. I have read through the forums that a Behringer HD400  would work, how about the Hush Super C, Stereo Noise Exterminator? Would that be better or should I use both?

Thank you for any help you can provide and I apologize for all of the questions, I just didn't want to make multiple posts.

Thanks!

Hello everyone,

1) I am using my Helix with a Mesa Boogie JP2C and I noticed when I switch presets, there are volume differences. I expect this is normal depending on your effects settings etc. But is there a simple way to have all the presets set at the same volume? 

2) I also had another question (sorry about this) how should I connect my Helix and JP2C to an Audio Interface? I use the 4 cable method, but what output should I use to send to the input of my USB Audio Interface? (It is just a scarlet solo so nothing special, but it only has a mic input and a guitar input).

3) Last question I promise, again sorry about all of the questions, I figured I would just ask them all in one post rather than make multiple posts.

When using the Helix With the JP2C (even with the Cabinet turned off) there is a lot of noise. I have read through the forums that a Behringer HD400  would work, how about the Hush Super C, Stereo Noise Exterminator? Would that be better or should I use both?

Thank you for any help you can provide and I apologize for all of the questions, I just didn't want to make multiple posts.

Thanks!

1. There is no easy button, you just have to normalize volumes by meter, then finally by ear. 

2. You could use the Helix as your interface. You could take the XLR DI out of your amp into the mic input of the Helix (assuming you have the Floor or Rack model), put the mic input on a separate signal path, then you have your Helix stuff AND your DI from your head all available to go to your DAW over USB. 

Another day, another volume discussion. I swear there'd be less confusion amongst a bunch of PhD's discussing theoretical physics after a 3 martini lunch. It's baffling...

We're not calculating the position of a black hole's event horizon, nor planning the logistics of the Normandy invasion. There is no mystery here. If it's too loud, turn it down. If it's not loud enough, turn it up. Save.

It has always been, and forever shall be that simple...

Sometimes noise issues arise when the various devices are plugged into different outlets or circuits in the building. Make sure all of your devices are plugged into the same outlet or outlets that are on the same circuit breaker/fuse.

Check all outlets for a proper ground connection.

Try different cables.

Edit: Some amp models in the factory presets are noisy, try bypassing the amp model.

Another day, another volume discussion. I swear there'd be less confusion amongst a bunch of PhD's discussing theoretical physics after a 3 martini lunch. It's baffling...

We're not calculating the position of a black hole's event horizon, nor planning the logistics of the Normandy invasion. There is no mystery here. If it's too loud, turn it down. If it's not loud enough, turn it up. Save.

It has always been, and forever shall be that simple...

Thee Helix philosophical trilogy: tuner, fizz, and volume equalization.

Hello everyone,

Thanks!

1) Output blocks have level settings that can be controlled  by snapshots.

2) balanced out is nice, but I'd use the USB connection right into your DAW. There are several useful reamping solutions available natively and other cool stuff (thumbs up)

3) what kind of noise are we talking about here? 60 cycles? More of a hiss?

Helix does not have an automatic gain parameter nor level adjusting Block to accomplish what you seek.

Depending what Blocks you place in your Signal Chain, most have a level parameter. You can approach the issue heading upstream from the Output Block, or downstream adjusting the Channel Volume in the Amp Block or subsequent Blocks. If you're using Snapshots be sure to gain stage them as well, as the chaning combination of parameter values you may be adjusting, disabling/enabling can have a dramatic affect on the signal level.

My process for this is:

1. turn everything off except for amp/cab, play vigorously, adjust amp channel volume to achieve around -12dB in DAW via USB (Helix main volume knob does not control USB volume), adjust by ear if desired. 

2. Do the same thing with any foot switches programmed to adjust amp settings (drive, master), twitch between that and previous amp setting, adjust volume by ear. The main amp setting is my reference. 

3. Amp with compressor only, switch compressor on/off repeatedly, amp/cab only is my reference, adjust level of compressor

4. Amp with overdrive #1  only, switch OD#1 on/off repeatedly, amp/cab only is my reference, adjust level of OD#1

5. Amp with overdrive #2  only, switch OD#2 on/off repeatedly, amp/cab only is my reference, adjust level of OD#2

etc...

When building a new preset I will compare levels of each preset to each other with amp/cab only on, switching between two presets, adjusting preset #2 volume until they sound "equalized". I then go through the same process on preset #2. 

Here's what I do:

1) Convene a focus group to address the issue.

2) Lobby for sufficient funding.

3) Tap Al Gore for an environmental impact study to assess loud guitar players' carbon footprint, and their cumulative effect on climate change.

4) Arrange for a reading of "Curious George and the Volume Knob" at the local library.

5) Tweak patches to taste at or near the volume at which I intend to use them, level accordingly (HINT: Turn up if it's not loud enough, or down if it's rattling windows in the next zip code), hit "save" and call it a day.

Now that I think about it, I could probably skip the first 4 steps. Jeez, I've been making this complicated...