Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

4 cable method.. nope I dont get any nice results..

SongofSouth

Hi, 

I watched the videos but it do not sound good.. I just want reverb and delay as efx. I am using a 5150 EVH with send/return . Send from Helix to EVH input. Return from Helix to EVH send. Output from Helix to EVH Return.  I am also using the channel/efx Switchpedal that comes with the EVH.

When disable the send/returns on Helix, I can still hear the effects, delay-reverb.. When disable the EVH-EFX-button there is no sound at all. so.. When connecting the cables as formentioned I can not switch off the effects and just have my dry sound from the EVH but is stuck with the EFX-loop sound..

What am I missing here!?

Please help..

Micke.

Hi,

Thanks, it was page 30 but I have fiddled around with those and my "higain" sound gets mixed with the clean sound and sort of disappears . when just put my Strymon delay in my amps EFXloop it sound nice..  I have been a fan of Line 6 since the first POD I thought I finally would have everything I ever wanted in one box.. But Im in doubt..

Micke.

I use the 4CM all the time and this is how it works for me (I don't have a EVH but in principle it is the same).

guitar -> Helix Input -> Pre-amp Effect like Overdrive -> FX Loop Send -> EVH input -> EVH send ->Helix Loop Return -> Post preamp effects like Verb -> Helix Out -> EVH Return.

Now as you can see, if you disable the send then you are removing the EVH pre-amp from your setup, NOT the effects.  If you want to disable the effects then you need to switch them off or setup a patch where they are on a separate path and you can turn the whole path off at once. By using the 4CM you are able to switch between using your EVH pre-amp and the Helix built in ones, or blend as desired using a parallel path.

I use the 4CM all the time and this is how it works for me (I don't have a EVH but in principle it is the same).

guitar -> Helix Input -> Pre-amp Effect like Overdrive -> FX Loop Send -> EVH input -> EVH send ->Helix Loop Return -> Post preamp effects like Verb -> Helix Out -> EVH Return.

Now as you can see, if you disable the send then you are removing the EVH pre-amp from your setup, NOT the effects.  If you want to disable the effects then you need to switch them off or setup a patch where they are on a separate path and you can turn the whole path off at once. By using the 4CM you are able to switch between using your EVH pre-amp and the Helix built in ones, or blend as desired using a parallel path.

Ok, Thanks, I will try again today, yes I want to turn off the -after preamp effects - occasionally and thougt I should just turn off the efxloop send on Helix.. New Question: I know how to get a parallel path using only Helix bur what do you mean with parallel path in this 4cabel scenario??

Thanks for your effort! Micke.

Ok, Thanks, I will try again today, yes I want to turn off the -after preamp effects - occasionally and thougt I should just turn off the efxloop send on Helix.. New Question: I know how to get a parallel path using only Helix bur what do you mean with parallel path in this 4cabel scenario??

Thanks for your effort! Micke.

I just meant that another way to turn off a bunch of things with one switch is to make a parallel path (a split in path 1 or 2) add your effects and then you can switch the path split or where it merges to include one path or the other. Usually it is set up to mix the two paths but you can configure it to switch between the two paths.

Another way to do this is to use snapshots. Make one snapshot with all the pedals engaged and another with them all bypassed..

I don’t know about the Helix but on the HD500X you have to be sure to set the Outputs (Setup > Outputs) to STACK PWR AMP )it’s defaulted to Studio/Direct). This drastically changes the sound of the output.

I use 4CM from a HD500X into a Marshall DSL 100H and only use the 500X for the effects and as long as you set it up right it sounds perfect.

I just meant that another way to turn off a bunch of things with one switch is to make a parallel path (a split in path 1 or 2) add your effects and then you can switch the path split or where it merges to include one path or the other. Usually it is set up to mix the two paths but you can configure it to switch between the two paths.

Another way to do this is to use snapshots. Make one snapshot with all the pedals engaged and another with them all bypassed..

Aha, thanks. But I still get my preampsound from my EVH too mixed with the clean "afterpreamphelixefx" its like its either main amp sound or Helix effect sound they do not blend nice atall...

Micke.

Ok! I now get it! I watched a Youtube video regarding 4cm and That guy put a send-effect-return on Helix which seem to be right.. so that was my mistake, did not get that I only have to put the send/return BEFORE the delays etc. and not a return After also..

Micke