Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Thinking ahead...

Lotta_Gear

Prior to getting the LT, my last major purchase was a Boss RC-300 Loopstation.  A more recent, but less major, purchase was an Electro-Harmonix Key-9.  In hindsight, this seems very fortuitous.  I'm thinking that these two devices can form the basis for a very powerful combination with the LT.

Of course, my plan at the moment is to concentrate on learning the LT, getting familiar with it, and dialing in the tones I want for the music I want to play.  But I'm thinking that the RC-300 will give me additional inputs beyond what the LT has, as well as giving me the ability to create very intricate backing tracks.

The Key-9 gives me sounds that the LT isn't (yet?) capable of - the ability to make my guitar sound like a keyboard or steel drum.

Just wondering, has anyone tried using an external looper hooked into one of the send/return loops, in addition to a looper block (i.e. can you use both at once in a preset)?

I'm thinking having the Key-9 between the guitar and the LT, with the RC-300 on one of the send/return loops, could be a very powerful combination.  I also very much covet the EH Superego+... (someday)

Just wondering, has anyone tried using an external looper hooked into one of the send/return loops, in addition to a looper block (i.e. can you use both at once in a preset)?

I have not tested that, but you can put a Looper and all the Send/Returns into a patch as long as you have enough space. Also the Looper takes a bit of processing power, s you can't add it to patches with a huge amount of effects.

I just picked up a Pigtronix looper and I'm planning on putting that on the output side of the Helix rather than in a loop. While I can see there's a minor advantage to having it in a loop -in that you can have the Helix add post-loop processing - the disadvantage is that it ties up a send/return and it has to be manually added to each preset you want to use it on.

I'd rather have it be available on every preset and not tie up an FX loop. Plus, I can use the built-in looper if I need something other than at the end of the chain.

I also use one of the x9 pedals (a Mel9) and I put that in an FX loop. That gives me a lot more flexibility in where I bring the sound in on ambient textures. And maybe a Key9 wouldn't be used in quite the same way, tho.

I suppose it is very much up to what kind of music you do and how the pedals fit into that use.

Prior to getting the LT, my last major purchase was a Boss RC-300 Loopstation.  A more recent, but less major, purchase was an Electro-Harmonix Key-9.  In hindsight, this seems very fortuitous.  I'm thinking that these two devices can form the basis for a very powerful combination with the LT.

Of course, my plan at the moment is to concentrate on learning the LT, getting familiar with it, and dialing in the tones I want for the music I want to play.  But I'm thinking that the RC-300 will give me additional inputs beyond what the LT has, as well as giving me the ability to create very intricate backing tracks.

The Key-9 gives me sounds that the LT isn't (yet?) capable of - the ability to make my guitar sound like a keyboard or steel drum.

I'm thinking having the Key-9 between the guitar and the LT, with the RC-300 on one of the send/return loops, could be a very powerful combination.  I also very much covet the EH Superego+... (someday)

Yes, works great (I use a TC Ditto X2)

Sure, why not?  Could get a bit confusing, though :)

I think it’s possible but it may not be very easy to remember which looper is playing which loop.

The built in looper’s memory is far too small for my needs.

As for using an external looper with the Helix, I wish I could turn off the foldback on the looper as the Helix is already passing that audio through. I can hear phase cancellation when I play along with the looper. Bugs me.