Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

My Alto TS112 monitor makes noise when Helix is powered off

Rocco_Crocco

I don't think this is an issue with my Helix, but I am hoping someone here may have experience with this problem.

At a gig last night, my monitor made a loud buzz or humming sound when I connected it to my (powered off) Helix. When I turned on the Helix, the noise went away and the speaker worked fine for the whole gig. 

After the show I shut off the Helix and the noise came back.The Alto is connected to Helix via 1/4" cable. When I unplugged the cable from the Alto, the noise went away. I tried another cable know to be good and the same noise was present

It seems this problem has nothing to do with the Helix, but rather must be an issue with the Alto, right?

Unfortunately I didn't have time to try and further troubleshoot the problem and now the speaker is at our practice space.

Anyone have an idea as to what may cause something like this?

You'll need to rule out if a Ground Loop may be present. Make sure the Alto and Helix are being powered from the same power strip. If different wall outlet receptacles are used, it may be these are on different circuit legs, or, if on the same circuit, one may be improperly wired. An inexpensive 3 prong receptacle circuit tester is a handy item to have.

I get this all the time with my Yamaha DXR12.  I have a two outlet strip that I use for both the Helix and the DXR12.  I wouldn't call it a loud hum, but it's definitely there if the Helix is off.  It's never affected anything in a year and a half, so I haven't bothered with it.  My guess is it has something to do with ground inequality within the switch if one of the units is turned off.  It does the same thing at home with both units plugged into the same power strip.

The Alto has a ground lift button. Try changing the state of that. I run mine with that switch in the lift position and don't have any issues with noise with the helix on or off. I get a mild hum when I use an isolation transformer that I need to use when hooked to my pc with USB. I get the mild hum when I turn the helix off in that situation...

Dave