Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pre EQing the guitar signal

hideout

Any body use an EQ block to precondition the guitar signal before it reaches a pedal or amp block?  I've been meaning to do more experiments with this but just have not had the time and have just been too habitual about EQing the overall sound after the Cab sim. No reason you can't do pre and post EQs either and I often forget that.  :rolleyes:

• Downvote 1

There certainly are situations where this is almost necessary. For example, with the dynamix flanger as the first effect, it can create a gnarly and raw sounding tone if you're going after an exaggerated flanger type effect. But using the flanger controls to tame the rawness can take something away from the intensity. An eq before the flanger could be a good solution to smooth things out without taking too much away.

Other than situations like that, I usually don't bother with pre-eq, unless it's for a bass guitar with its active eq disabled.

There certainly are situations where this is almost necessary. For example, with the dynamix flanger as the first effect, it can create a gnarly and raw sounding tone if you're going after an exaggerated flanger type effect. But using the flanger controls to tame the rawness can take something away from the intensity. An eq before the flanger could be a good solution to smooth things out without taking too much away.

Other than situations like that, I usually don't bother with pre-eq, unless it's for a bass guitar with its active eq disabled.

Interesting.  I was think about how some guitars are too bassy sounding and I typically don't like those guitars and they way amps, real or modeled, react to them.  My thought was to do a low frequency cut prior to the signal hitting the front end of the amp block. For the most part I would steer clear of boosting any frequencies as that just adds noise.

I use an EQ very close to the input (after noise gate and sometimes after volume pedal) to compensate for the different character and gain between my 2 main basses, which are very different in overall level and character. This way I can have similar sound (and more importantly similar gain!) when switching basses. The volume to start saturation in subsequent blocks is consistent when switching bass and I keep the EQ range of the 2 basses centered in the middle.

I wish I could make this "Bass-2 Guitar EQ" block global... but copying it in all my patches is still very convenient

I need to remember to enable / disable the block when I am using the "non default" bass and I change presets, therefore my desire to have the option to make this block global.

Manipulating the input impedance can also help with this.

Yes, I find that input impedance can help dull sounding guitars have a bit more sheen but it doesn’t quite do enough for excessive low end. I just don’t like the way low frequencies make the amp distort.

I've pulled low end before the drive stages and maybe boosted it back up after, keeps the low end from flubbing out. Not always, but more than once or twice.

Yup, this is what I mean to do. I just haven’t had the time to experiment lately.

for ease of use i often use a pedal in front of my helix that has a single 'tilt' eq knob as part of its controls. It's the bogner harlow pedal that has a neve designed transformer - it just means i can easily adjust for different guitars using the same patches, on the fly, if i need to.

for ease of use i often use a pedal in front of my helix that has a single 'tilt' eq knob as part of its controls. It's the bogner harlow pedal that has a neve designed transformer - it just means i can easily adjust for different guitars using the same patches, on the fly, if i need to.

Along that line of thinking, on occasion, I have used an old MXR MicroAmp in front of the Helix and really like the clarity and tonal balance it gives my guitars - especially the Gibson ES137.  My Parker with the Lace Alumitones doesn't seem to need it.  Likely because it's an active system but also because those pickups are completely amazing.