Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New preset – how to send a midi command to my amp?

uelef

I own a Hughes & Kettner amp that I would like to control with midi via my Helix.

I am able to switch my amps channels via Midi inside one preset with different snapshots (commandcenter > instants) … But how can I determine what Amp Channel is used when I choose a new preset? When I choose a preset that starts with snapshot 2 (my crunch channel of the amp) the midi command of the snapshot is not sent to the amp. There must be a way to sent a midi command to my amp when activating a new preset.

Thanks for your suggestions …

Ulf

You would use the Command Center and the Instant Access slots (they look like lightning bolts).  You select one of these, then select a snapshot using it's footswitch.  Then use the knobs below the display to modify the MIDI command you will send for that snapshot.  Then repeat for other snapshots.

Then make the snapshot you want as the default for the preset active, and save the preset.  Now when you select the preset, it should select that snapshot, and send the MIDI command for that snapshot.

What may be happening for you is that you don't actually have a MIDI command set for Snapshot 2.  It's a quirk that when you are in Command Center on an Instant Access slot, and you select a Snapshot for which there is not MIDI command set, it will just keep the last command in the display, even though it is not really there.  To put it there, change one of the values using a knob, then change it back and save the preset.

You can see the above as follows:  I started with a new preset, went to Command Center and selected and Instant Access slot.  Then I selected Snapshot 1 and put in CC#1 Value#1.  Then I selected Snapshot 3 and put in CC#1 Value #6.  Now if I select Snapshot #1 I see CC#1 Value#1, and if I select Snapshot #2 I continue to see CC#1 Value#1.  Then if I select Snapshot 3 I see CC#1 Value#6.  From there if I select Snapshot #2, I continue to see CC#1 Value#6.  There is no MIDI command set in Snapshot #2, but it looks like there is!

Well, the situation is a bit weird … I defined for instant 1 for every snapshot a bank/program midi command (snapshot 1: midi channel 1, program 0; snapshot 2 Midi Channel 1, program 4 etc.). Switching between snapshots works like it should work - on my H & K head the presets of the amp change. But when I open the preset with my snapshots in Helix there's no sound coming out of my amp. My standard snapshot is number 2 (Crunch Mode on my amp). So before I can here my crunch sound I have to activate snapshot 1, then reactivate snapshot 2: now everything works like it should.

To say it in fewer words: Everything works fine inside my Helix presets. Every snapshot changes the sound of my H & K amp. But when I change my Helix presets - every time I choose a preset on Helix for my H & K amp, I cannot hear anything … (It's all setup like in the YouTube video that I already knew before.)

I am not particularly familiar with the H&K, but, I believe your amp has a "learn" button for MIDI programming. Is this true? If so, it is very much like a Marshall JVM in that respect. Here is a link to a programming guide for the JVM that might help.

http://line6.com/support/topic/28901-marshall-jvm-channel-switching-with-helix-midi/

Thanks for the link – I did everything as described there (exceptional that my Grandmeister 40 Deluxe has no midi leard - but that is not the problem because I know the right midi commands). The strange thing is: Using different snapshots inside a preset works fine but opening the preset (with snapshot 2 as standard) does not set the amp to the desired sound. It is muted. There must be something wrong so that opening a preset in Helix does not send the midi command of the standard snapshot.