Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

newbie question: using reverb in live performances?

marmatkat

Hi All. Getting into my Helix LT - have played live a handful of times with it. I've never used reverb (I've always played live in my career), but I see that it seems like many folks use it regularly (there's a big discussion of it at When will we see new models and firmware for helix??). I've always been a little surprised that it's the one major effect that amps have had for decades (maybe tremelo is #2), though I've never really used pedals that much. My question is how much would an audience notice reverb in a live scenario? Thanks!

It really depends. I don't see a need for it live unless its going to be really wet as an actual effect vs some guys who seem to have a slight 'verb on all the time. IME most rooms have enough of their own reverberation and resonance that it's not necessary for depth or space and ends up muddying things up. I use 'verbs on some of my live clean patches, but its always more ethereal and noticeable as a sound design decision. 

• Upvote 1

I use it for two scenarios:

1. When playing a very clean tone and there is not a whole lot going on in the song, I want it to fill out the space a bit, but I don't want to hear any delay repeats. Probably no more than 30% mix. Keeps everything clean but with a little "elbow room"

2. To smooth out delays. I use them in combination with a delay in front of it to kind of smooth out the repeats of the delay making it a little more subtle, but without having to turn the mix down. I do this especially with more ambient sounds. I like how the delay will keep hitting the reverb, but the verb just kind of coats it all with butter. 

It's all a matter of taste.  Personally, I don't like to hear reverb, but without it the sound is just too dry.  So I usually select the Plate Reverb, shorten the decay and then dial in just enough that the sound isn't dry, but you don't really hear it unless you REALLY listen for it.

I never use reverb on a guitar tone to add ambiance live. Ever. Recording? Every time, but live? No. I DO use reverb as special effects for schmaltz (especially particle and octo, my two favorite FX in the box. I will also use spring verb so it sounds like an amp's spring verb.

But ambiance as in hall or plate or room verb? Never. Ever.

Why?

Your room you play in HAS reverb. Just use that.

I never use reverb on a guitar tone to add ambiance live. Ever. Recording? Every time, but live? No. I DO use reverb as special effects for schmaltz (especially particle and octo, my two favorite FX in the box. I will also use spring verb so it sounds like an amp's spring verb.

But ambiance as in hall or plate or room verb? Never. Ever.

Why?

While that's definitely true in a church or subway... But how about in a very small club or bar or coffee house, especially when it is for a conscious effect you are looking for...(in the context of a duo with a piano or acoustic guitar accompaniment which you want to sit behind)? (Asking)

While that's definitely true in a church or subway... But how about in a very small club or bar or coffee house, especially when it is for a conscious effect you are looking for...(in the context of a duo with a piano or acoustic guitar accompaniment which you want to sit behind)? (Asking)

If it's an EFFECT, that's a different thing.

Small rooms have a cool vibe, add a long hall reverb to your acoustic sound and you kill the small room vibe imho.

If it's an EFFECT, that's a different thing.

Small rooms have a cool vibe, add a long hall reverb to your acoustic sound and you kill the small room vibe imho.

Oh, no... I meant, as an example, an electric accompaniment to an acoustic, as a soundscapey thing supporting behind an acoustic rhythm.  So, but yeah, guess that falls into the "effect" category... But I imagine maybe I might want to turn down that effect in a large room with lots of reflections....

Yeah, I wouldn't put reverb on my own solo acoustic... eek, maybe a touch of spring or plate just for wholeness, but low low mix

You should indeed adjust your reverb to the room you are playing, particularly with an acoustic guitar, too much reverb can absolutely ruin your sound, but there are no hard and fast rules. Some rooms are really soft with acoustic ceiling tile, carpeting, and things hanging on the wall. Providing a touch of reverb adds some dimension and depth to your sound. These rooms may add little in the way of natural reverb left to their own devices. The opposite may also be true, in a room with lots of hard surfaces there may be an abundance of reverb and depending on the size of even the shape of the room you may be getting very audible reflections off the ceiling, floor, back wall, or even nooks, crannies, and corners. You may want to dial back or completely turn off the reverb for these rooms. Indoor and outdoor spaces also require completely different types and amounts of reverb.

I agree that dialing up a reverb designed to emulate the sound in an auditorium or a stadium when you are playing the local bar often sounds ridiculous and unnatural and ruins any sense of intimacy or immediacy, again, particularly with an acoustic guitar. Select tunes may call for a big reverb however, especially if you play covers. Our band plays some tunes that were made famous by bands that played huge stadiums and although it is a little incongruous sometimes to hear a lead tone that would be more at home in Shea stadium or an outdoor show at Mountain View, people still love hearing that "big sound" that reminds them of the recorded version, but only when used judiciously and selectively.

Reverb can sometimes also help a guitar sit better in a live mix and blend better with the vocals, which usually have at least a touch of reverb. Too much though and your guitar sound gets lost or sounds unnatural as it does not reflect the space you are in.

Anyway, it looked like the OP was looking for specific settings for the reverb and we have not really provided any. I would not know where to start as they vary dramatically across my presets depending on what I am going after. I can say that as others have mentioned, if I am using reverb I generally keep the mix fairly low between 15-35% and I am cautious about using decay times that are too long although sometimes I want that extra drippy liquid tone of an old Fender spring reverb, particularly for certain blues tunes. With ambient or spacey music there are no rules at all. I use my ears to dial in reverb and then usually pull back the reverb a bit more as it can tend to be more than you counted on when you take that preset to the stage.

• Upvote 1

... if I am using reverb I generally keep the mix fairly low between 15-35% and I am cautious about using decay times that are too long although sometimes I want that extra drippy liquid tone of an old Fender spring reverb, particularly for certain blues tunes. With ambient or spacey music there are no rules at all. I use my ears to dial in reverb and then usually pull back the reverb a bit more as it can tend to be more than you counted on when you take that preset to the stage.

Really good guidelines to start right there...

Depends on the Gym/barn, errr the venue you are playing at.  :) If the sound/acoustics are bouncing off walls more than a super-ball does, then you need less reverb. If the room/dancehall is flat, add reverb to taste. Now, I know that today's music doesn't use as much verb like my generation did (50's-60's), but to not use any at all is, well foreign to me (Think Rock-Blues here). I use a touch on nearly everything just cause it adds so much more ambiance to the tone to me. As always, YMMV and that's ok. 

Depends on the Gym/barn, errr the venue you are playing at.  :) If the sound/acoustics are bouncing off walls more than a super-ball does, then you need less reverb. If the room/dancehall is flat, add reverb to taste. Now, I know that today's music doesn't use as much verb like my generation did (50's-60's), but to not use any at all is, well foreign to me (Think Rock-Blues here). I use a touch on nearly everything just cause it adds so much more ambiance to the tone to me. As always, YMMV and that's ok. 

I am a fan of the right amount of reverb on many a tune as well, ell, ell, ll, lrehsosdkfkdleh ...  ;) 

I can't say there are any specific guidelines I follow in terms of reverb other than to match it to the sound I'm going for which depends on the song and the style of song.  A lot of styles like rockabilly, old country or early 60's pop songs will require more of it than rock or blues for example.  Although there are also very ambient rich rock styles like Pink Floyd where it's more of a consideration.  Generally most modern styles only require just a slight touch as defined in other responses, if any at all, just to help with getting a better mix with the other instruments.

Put me in the category of "no reverb".

I use my Helix onstage with a live band. And as Peter said in his post above... the room is "live" enough without any reverb to muddy up your tone in the mix.

Especially playing rock music. We play classic rock in my band. And my goal is always to have a fat mid-rangey BIG sound that sits in the mix nice and loud without any harshness or muddiness. Reverb just ruins that.

To expand on what others have said about using reverb to help fit into the mix, I look at it in terms of how much in the foreground or background does the guitar need to be. Usually, more reverb puts the guitar further in the background.

That's just my experience from trial and error and is dependent on the particular style and ensemble I'm used to playing with. I'm sure if I were in a metal fusion trio (and had the chops to hang), reverb would be the last thing I'd consider.

I’m in the less is more category for all effects, including reverb. I do use reverb in my goto patch, and a slightly longer than slap back echo that is on all the time. This provides an ambience to help smooth out the tone for playing as much as providing ambience for the room. I use the plate reverb, and keep the mix and duration down pretty low. Its just there to provide a bit of fill and take the up front edge off. Long reverbs in a live mix situation can quickly turn into a mess.

I'm wondering now if perhaps I use too much reverb.  What I have sounds great to me but I'm always listening to us through the in ear monitors.  The PA speakers are in front of us so if I pull out the in ears what I hear is not very distinct, so it's hard to tell what I sound like in the house from where I stand.   But this definitely makes me think I should record us and listen closely to my sound with and without (or less) reverb.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to use more reverb. It sounded good at home but I washed out in the band context. I listwnef to the advice in this thread and shortened all reverb to 2.0 secomds or less and reduced mix to less than 20%. Now I'm much clearer and articulate in the mix.

Try zero. You might be surprised.

I no longer use reverb when playing live unless it's a special effect. Never to "add ambiance", since the room has plenty.