Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider head and non-L6 cab?

30sos

Hey, all. Wondering if I really need a Line 6 cab with the Spider V head or if a Marshall or Crate or whatever would work? Wasn’t sure if the L6 cab was more of a full frequency thing/designed to replicate the different types of tones, or if it’s pretty much a typical 4x12?

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the quick reply. So the speakers weren’t specialty selected or designed specifically for this amp? Any cab will be (roughly) the same?

And thanks for bringing up ohms. If you can’t get something that matches exactly, can the ohms on the amp be higher or do the ohms on the speaker need to be higher? I heard one was safe (or safer), but can never remember which.

Hi 30sos

There's a great explanation if you want to read it in full here.

https://music.stackexchange.com/questions/25434/using-an-8-ohm-amplifier-output-with-a-16-ohm-cabinet

But here's the short answer.  :)

It is safe to use a higher impedance cabinet on a lower impedance amp output. For example 8-ohm amp into a 16-ohm cabinet. However, since you're not powering the cabinet fully, it may affect the tone.

Different cabinets can affect the sound. I suspect the Spider cabinet is designed to be as "neutral" as possible so the cab emulation comes through, but any quality cab should sound good. Though they may not work as well for the acoustic presets (if you play acoustic through them) since the Spider cab also has tweeters in it.

I found this, which seems to indicate there's a switch for non-Spider cabinets.

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/amplifiers/spider-v/spider-v-240hc-cabinet-modeling-r853

It seems to indicate there's a switch/setting for non-spider cabs to help with that.

• 1 month later...

The Spider V 240HC does have a switch on the back that disables the cabinet modeling.  This is meant to be used with cabs other than the Line 6 4x12.  DarkMantle was correct in saying the Spider cab is meant to be neutral in order to benefit from the software cab models.  You can certainly still use the Spider V 240HC's cab modeling feature with 3rd party cabs, just be aware that it might not always be ideal.