Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix & Stagesource

Vale46

Hi All

Having some issues connecting my new Helix with a pair of 3LTs and a 3LS sub via link 6 connection. For whatever reason i only get sound out of one of the 3LTs. Believe everything is connected correctly and was assuming i should have sound out of all three stage source speakers.

Is there a setting i am missing?

Hi All

Having some issues connecting my new Helix with a pair of 3LTs and a 3LS sub via link 6 connection. For whatever reason i only get sound out of one of the 3LTs. Believe everything is connected correctly and was assuming i should have sound out of all three stage source speakers.

Disclaimer, I have never tried hooking L3S subs to a Helix via L6 Link so I don't know whether that works or not although it would be nice if it did. I can particularly see this being useful if you are playing a bass guitar or want monstrous synth patches through the Helix although I personally would just be using the PA at that point. My sense is that the L3S sub may not work with the Helix, at least right now due to their notable omission from the verbiage regarding the L6 Link in the Helix manual. My first step in troubleshooting this would be to try the L3t's without the sub(s):

From the Helix manual:

"Two StageSource speakers or DT amps can also be connected in series via L6 LINK and your stereo Helix signal is intelligently split,with the left channel going to the first StageSource/DT and the right channel to the second. If you have one StageSource/DT connected, the Helix output is collapsed to mono and fed to the StageSource/DT."

So maybe the subs don't work with the Helix due to their lack of mention, but hey, maybe they do. You could always contact customer support and ask directly unless someone else here chimes in who has tried this.

Two L3 speakers will set up in stereo with Helix via the L6 Link. When I have encountered problems with L2 or L3 speakers setting up properly it has always turned out to be due to either a bad cable or one that was not plugged in to the correct L6 Link input/output or not pushed all the way in. Try hooking up just your L3t's to the Helix without the sub and see if the L3t's set up with the correct "L" and "r" symbols in the LCD displays on the back of the speakers. If not, I would start swapping out cables. Once this is working properly add the sub back into the mix, try swapping out the cable for the sub if it is still causing a problem although the subs may just not work via L6 Link with the Helix.

Assuming you are on the latest firmware. You probably already checked this but I would make sure I am linked via the L6 Link input/outputs and not the analog XLR connectors. As previously mentioned I have had proper recognition problems on an L6 Linked PA before because although everything looked ok, one of the cables was not plugged quite all the way in. This made the problem less than obvious. Always worth double checking to make sure they are all powered up. Sorry to mention the obvious stuff but it never hurts to check. Let us know if you get this working. Good luck!

Hi All

I use exactly this setup and have never had a problem. I am using the L6 Link connection between the Helix and all speakers in a simple daisy chain fashion. The order of the speaker connections should not matter as long as all speakers are powered on. I place the L3s (sub) at the end of the chain because I often leave it off, not needing it when I'm playing electric guitar. I use it when playing bass.

Check your cables. Make sure each is working and that the L6 Link In/Out connections are correct.

• Upvote 1

I use exactly this setup and have never had a problem. I am using the L6 Link connection between the Helix and all speakers in a simple daisy chain fashion. The order of the speaker connections should not matter as long as all speakers are powered on. I place the L3s (sub) at the end of the chain because I often leave it off, not needing it when I'm playing electric guitar. I use it when playing bass.

Check your cables. Make sure each is working and that the L6 Link In/Out connections are correct.

Looks like the L3s subs do work with the Helix. Now we know. Thanks for posting Silverhead.

Hi All

Btw, you are not "missing a setting". Plugging in an L6 Link device automatically overrides the global setting for S/PDIF or AES/EBU so you don't have to be concerned with what the digital output is set to once an L6 Link device is connected.

... and just to make sure.... you are using the L6 Link connection from Helix to the first speaker, right?

Yes using the first speaker in from the Helix, i have both my 3lts working now eliminating or bypassing the sub, i just thought you could run the sub too and its auto crossovers would take care of the rest. Also i am using the correct cables. didn't matter where or what sequence i put my sub there is no sound. Btw all speakers worked including the sub by connecting via xlr left and right outs. Happy that i get sound from both my 3Lts. 

Thanks for the help...

Yes using the first speaker in from the Helix, i have both my 3lts working now eliminating or bypassing the sub, i just thought you could run the sub too and its auto crossovers would take care of the rest. Also i am using the correct cables. didn't matter where or what sequence i put my sub there is no sound. Btw all speakers worked including the sub by connecting via xlr left and right outs. Happy that i get sound from both my 3Lts. 

Thanks for the help...

Surprised to hear you had to resort to using the analog XLR connectors to get everything working. It looks like Silverhead was able to get his sub(s) working using the L6 Link connector on the Helix. I wonder what is different?

Surprised to hear you had to resort to using the analog XLR connectors to get everything working. It looks like Silverhead was able to get his sub(s) working using the L6 Link connector on the Helix. I wonder what is different?

It may simply be that the sub is actually working but the guitar is not producing frequencies below the crossover threshold, hence the sub remains silent. As I mentioned I don't use the sub for guitar - only for bass.

It may simply be that the sub is actually working but the guitar is not producing frequencies below the crossover threshold, hence the sub remains silent. As I mentioned I don't use the sub for guitar - only for bass.

That sounds like a good guess and the same thought occurred to me as well. This could be tested by checking visually to ensure the sub(s) are setting up correctly on the back panel LCD's when hooked up via L6 Link. Playing a bass or synth patches that dip low enough to generate signal to the subs would make it easier to detect activity in the subs. But even using just a guitar a good way to test would be to crank the L3s sub up a bit and set the "Xover Freq" parameter to 120hz or even "Off". That should probably generate enough low frequency signal to the sub to be audible as long as the preset on the Helix is not setup with a low cut filter or EQ setting that cuts everything in the low end.