Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Thinking of Replacing Pod HD Pro

jcosta_sr

Faithful Line 6er since Pod XT Live.

I have the Dream Rig.  Tell me why I it makes since to upgrade/replace the POD HD Pro X!  Is there a significant difference in tone?  Is there a better aural palette.  Is it easier to create tones.  Can you migrate tones from POD HD Pro to Helix?  What missing?  

Please don't read this post and not reply!  Help a fellow musician out......

Having never owned a POD HD Pro, I can only answer a couple questions:

No, you cannot migrate presets to Helix

Yes, it's way easier to create tones... you have 32 blocks available, plus I imagine way better routing options and so much more

Have you read the manual yet? 

Missing stuff would probably amount to some amps and effects that will likely be added at a later date.  The main things people ask for in that regard are a Vocoder and better pitch effects.

I owned the HD500 and now the Helix. I actually still own HD500 as an emergency backup in case the Helix ever fails. I break it out every now and then when I don't have my Helix handy. The first thing I notice is how incredibly limiting HD500 now feels compared to the capabilities of the Helix. I didn't feel that way before I owned the Helix, but HD500 now feels like an inadequate amount of DSP.

While HD500 has some very good sounding amp models, there were always some I found unusable or very difficult to get a likable tone out of. The Helix amps all sound good to me in one way or another. If what other people have claimed about being able to tell the difference between real tube amps and modeled tube amps is true, then I admit I don't have the best ear for discerning such minute tonal differences, but even I can hear the difference in the Helix amp models. For one thing, the Helix amp models seem a lot more reactive to input volume or attack. I had thought HD500 did as well, but when I took it for a spin a couple months ago after having owned the Helix for over a year, I was shocked at how unresponsive it felt now. 

Like others have said, it is much easier to set up patches. But, you can make patches that are ten times as complex as in HD500, so you probably spend the same or more time just due to the overabundance of options. And, no, you cannot import POD HD patches to Helix.

I still have a Pod HD500, but haven't touched it since getting my Helix. The HD500 sounded pretty decent with my Line 6 DT 25 amp, but once I had to use it direct to the mixing board, I couldn't get any tones I was happy with. Helix is a giant leap forward from Pod HD in every way. The answer to all of your questions except for migrating tones from one to the other is YES!

Another HD500 convert - absolutely night and day in ease of dialing in sounds, and much more capability in every way - DSP, routings, integration of external fx, control capabilities.  It's a quantum jump forward - I kinda/sorta tolerated the HD, I freakin' LOVE the Helix.

Do it...

Do it...

Do it...

Do it...