Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HELIX, When will we get a new firmware update??

MarkJarvis

We're shooting for November. And then hopefully another update shortly after NAMM in January. A big portion of the would-be-January update might be a bit... controversial. Many will love it, some will give us the ol' side eye.

I've mentioned this before, but the reason things are taking so long has nothing to do with anyone sitting on their hands. A large portion of the Helix architecture (now called "Helix Core") has been receiving a massive rewrite, which lets us accomplish certain things:

• Update Helix Floor, Helix Rack/Control, Helix LT, Helix Native, and HX Edit (new upcoming editor) all at the same time
  • Improve performance across the board
  • Remove hindrances from the old Helix architecture that precluded us from supporting certain features
  • Share models, features, and other code across multiple SKUs faster, resulting in more efficient development (and hopefully, more frequent updates)
  • Script certain time-consuming testing procedures
  • Build new hardware products around Helix Core that would've previously required entirely new architectures

I suppose if some dude owned Helix Floor and nothing else, he might say "Boo! I shouldn't have to wait because of the other boxes and software!" It's important to understand that all this work puts Line 6 in a better position to keep improving all Helix SKUs for the foreseeable future.

I'd post here more often if I didn't have to read yet another "When's the next firmware?!" thread.  ;)

And the occasional followup complaints that my marginally snarky banter somehow undermines customer concern. Certain other forums have zero problems playing along.

Loudness controls on home and car stereos (and full amps like Vetta) made sense, as the systems were generally closed; that is, the manufacturer sort of knew how loud the system would be and how that control would compensate playback within said system.

With something like Helix, it has no idea what volume you're actually playing at. The Volume knob could be set to 10% but be connected to a wall of Marshalls, all cranked. Or it could be set at 100% and run into a computer with tiny bookshelf speakers turned up to barely nothing. The only way to truly compensate for Fletcher-Munson is to know exactly what the volume in the room is, which means adding a boundary microphone to the top panel—and even then, there's a good chance Helix's panel will be receiving a notably different volume and frequency response than the location of your ears.

Once again... DI, you´re the man... Keep the updates on the update coming... haha.

Truthfully, hearing how big of an update that we're looking at coming soon is both exciting and scary. This may be one that I hold off on loading until the dust settles. After all, I have no problem with my Helix that I'm hoping to rectify. I haven't even bought Native yet. I guess I'm turning into a ludite.

As much as I m lookign forward to Helix updates... I wish they are coming out with new variax hardware. Sorry for jumping topic.. but can't shut my mouth.

Not looking for new hardware but an upgraded HX version of the models would be fantastic to hook up with Helix. Better DT integration too but that would just be the cream on top...

• Upvote 1

December?!?!?!? Argghghgh, Rabble, Rabble, Rabble.  :D

On  a serious note - 

Sure I have a few specific requests, but honestly I am just really happy that we have an update in the pipeline with 7 amps, 7FX coming.  I am  even more happy that it doesn't look like it will be the last one either!

Question: I assume that the updates will be universal for the Helix platform. Meaning Native, will get the same updates (at the same time) as Rack, Floor, and LT do? Or are we still not quite to update parity?

What amps? 

What amps?

Me personally, I would like a Bogner XTC. A Friedman amp, another flavor from Engl Amps. More Line 6 originals spanning from clean to high gain. Would really like more HX cabs too.

If your asking what amps this update will include... I have no idea, but I would like at least one of them to be one of the above.

• Upvote 1

Me personally, I would like a Bogner XTC. A Friedman amp, another flavor from Engl Amps. More Line 6 originals spanning from clean to high gain. Would really like more HX cabs too.

If your asking what amps this update will include... I have no idea, but I would like at least one of them to be one of the above.

I love what your sayin but man id love to see some really accurate emulations. At this point, i prefer quality over quantity. Id rather see one amp per update that is REALLY well designed, as opposed to 7 amps of more of the same.. Maybe add in a single control that is original to an amp. Get rid of the ripple control on all the amps. Thats a real waste of space. In the manual it says "At higher settings, things get freaky" lol it takes a very specific set of circumstances to even hear it working and it RARELY if ever enhances the tone....i dont know just some random thoughts here i guess.

I love what your sayin but man id love to see some really accurate emulations. At this point, i prefer quality over quantity. Id rather see one amp per update that is REALLY well designed, as opposed to 7 amps of more of the same. or the Cali76 or whatever...Maybe add in a single control that is original to an amp. Get rid of the ripple control on all the amps. Thats a real waste of space. In the manual it says "At higher settings, things get freaky" lol it takes a very specific set of circumstances to even hear it working and it RARELY if ever enhances the tone....i dont know just some random thoughts here i guess.

Just want to say this. Im always down for higher quality, but I am not too quick on getting rid of ripple just yet. (even if I haven't really explored it just yet)

• Share models, features, and other code across multiple SKUs faster, resulting in more efficient development (and hopefully, more frequent updates)
  • Script certain time-consuming testing procedure.

These two right here in theory should allow us faster model developmental time. 

I’m really struggling to imagine what you could be adding to the Helix that would cause side eye other than “pay for add-on†content, and even then: if it’s good content people will pay the dollars.

I predict it's the removal of the tuner. That pesky thing has caused more controversy than any other helix feature. :)

• Upvote 1

Gen 3 Variax is coming. Probably not soon, but it's in the pipeline.

I hope whatever improvements are made can be applied, even if it is a limited subset, to my JTV Variax. I purchased it new in the last year, would hate to see it become obsolete already. Guess it depends on what hardware changes in the Variax line are going to accompany the firmware changes.

• 2 weeks later...

We're shooting for November. And then hopefully another update shortly after NAMM in January. A big portion of the would-be-January update might be a bit... controversial. Many will love it, some will give us the ol' side eye.

I've mentioned this before, but the reason things are taking so long has nothing to do with anyone sitting on their hands. A large portion of the Helix architecture (now called "Helix Core") has been receiving a massive rewrite, which lets us accomplish certain things:

• Update Helix Floor, Helix Rack/Control, Helix LT, Helix Native, and HX Edit (new upcoming editor) all at the same time
  • Improve performance across the board
  • Remove hindrances from the old Helix architecture that precluded us from supporting certain features
  • Script certain time-consuming testing procedures
  • Build new hardware products around Helix Core that would've previously required entirely new architectures

I suppose if some dude owned Helix Floor and nothing else, he might say "Boo! I shouldn't have to wait because of the other boxes and software!" It's important to understand that all this work puts Line 6 in a better position to keep improving all Helix SKUs for the foreseeable future.

I'd post here more often if I didn't have to read yet another "When's the next firmware?!" thread.  ;)

And the occasional followup complaints that my marginally snarky banter somehow undermines customer concern. Certain other forums have zero problems playing along.

It's November  :D  :D  :D

It's November  :D  :D  :D

Most of the month is off-limits, tho. It's probably only going to launch Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday. So....assuming it won't be tomorrow (They'd probably say something were it that close), that leaves the following days for the update to drop: Nov. 14, 15, 16, 21, 22, 28, 29, 30.

Assuming everything is still on track, we don't have long to wait at all.

A big portion of the would-be-January update might be a bit... controversial. Many will love it, some will give us the ol' side eye.

So we're getting a new tuner ???   

Sorry, someone had to go there...  I'll be hiding in the panic room now if anyone needs me...  

Wait, what? I COULD'VE GOTTEN BEER OUT OF THIS?!

Developer says, "hey we've got a great idea, but we've got to rewrite everything to make it work".  Product manager says, "ok what will it do.".  Developer says, "oh, you can have a little blinky light or something on the UI".  Product manager says, "great but it seriously takes all that time just to do that"?  

If your working with a really seasoned developer with good people skills that's when they'll take you out for a beer. :D

Unless you guys are working agile / scrum. Then no one gets beer because the scrums end up being too early in the morning.  Instead replace the word "beer" with "coffee".   :D

• Upvote 1

Developer says, "hey we've got a great idea, but we've got to rewrite everything to make it work".  Product manager says, "ok what will it do.".  Developer says, "oh, you can have a little blinky light or something on the UI".  Product manager says, "great but it seriously takes all that time just to do that"?  

If your working with a really seasoned developer with good people skills that's when they'll take you out for a beer. :D

Unless you guys are working agile / scrum. Then no one gets beer because the scrums end up being too early in the morning.  Instead replace the word "beer" with "coffee".   :D

As a Scrum Master / PM, I approve this message.

• Upvote 1

Ah ok shooting for end of Nov and then again in Jan 2018. I totally get combing the code base so you can realistically manage the products based around Helix.

I am really really hoping that we can get to a point where the amp models are the focus as sure there are many models in the selections for Helix but I find that these

models dont sound as rich and featured as some others available from some company's. I think I get a pretty decent sound but find the amp and cab or even using an IR

doesn't sound and feel like a great amp. Maybe my expectations are not realistic ..but when I check the amp cabs ...almost every single one do not sound good until I add effects. EQ, mics, 

dual setups. I am specifically talking about more high gain lead tone and distortion but I just want the basic amp to sound and feel good and I find myself not getting that out of any of the models without a huge amount of effort.

Here is a fairly recent tone in my setup: 

Dual channel

Soldano lead left Rectifier Lead right

Muliband compressor inline before amp stage

Screamer distortion before compressor

Cabs soldano and modern 4 x 12 

EQ Multiband

Effects, Phaser, Flanger, Stereo Delay, Reverb

Listen here:

Perhaps the Helix is also going to be able to Tone Match? That would be interesting. Not really necessary but interesting.

They have hinted that this is not in the cards, but... obviously the hardware could do it, since there is a mic input on Helix. So, ya never know, right...?

• Upvote 1

They have hinted that this is not in the cards, but... obviously the hardware could do it, since there is a mic input on Helix. So, ya never know, right...?

It has been hinted as well (actually stated in TGP by DI) that the new 2.30 firmware is right now on Beta Testing... So... how is it doing???

Were you capable of dialing massive tones without any crashes so far?

It has been hinted as well (actually stated in TGP by DI) that the new 2.30 firmware is right now on Beta Testing... So... how is it doing???

Were you capable of dialing massive tones without any crashes so far?

Well, actually, they do a lot of early stages of testing in house, and these days, what they send us is really close to bug-free by the time we test it.

They are, as I recall, going to be "unifying" the whole suite, including Native, so this one coming out is a big deal.

But as to whether I know where that stage is in the process... I really couldn't say...

So, was part of this architecture rewrite to finally allow the Marshall models to be turned up to eleven, or are we finally just going to get a Nigel Tufnel signature amp model? :lol:

Nigel is so over that whole “11†thing.

post-70733-0-37299400-1510595054_thumb.jpeg

I would like to see 7, and 8 string Variax guitars.  Shuriken headstock, with a telecaster body, or a more Ibanez RGA style cutout body.  

Lots more modern players out there are looking for something from Line 6 that can draw them in to combining Helix with Variax.  

L6 should have jumped in front of Boss and got on that Strandberg ride with the Boden. After playing 7/8/9 string guitars for the last 6-7 years, any more ERG's I get are going to be headless. Neckdive and headstock weight are real when you're playing live. It's been brought up in the past and it seems L6 doesn't see enough profit in the ERG niche to start adding extra strings. I feel like the Shuriken was an attempt at getting into ERG realms, but from what I've seen IRL, there are WAY more guys with extra strings than guys with longer-scale 6s out there playing. IMHO, of course.

Honestly if the new update just made my helix stay connected to my computer via USB for more than 5 minutes at a time, that's all I really want.....

I'm not sure if a Helix update would fix a Mac/PC software problem?  ;)  Or maybe a bad USB cable?

Mine stays hooked up until I kill it on my iMac, so I don't think this is a Helix update fixable.

I'm not sure if a Helix update would fix a Mac/PC software problem?  ;)  Or maybe a bad USB cable?

Mine stays hooked up until I kill it on my iMac, so I don't think this is a Helix update fixable.

Same for me in the Windows world. I have two different Helix units.  One is permanently attached via USB and serves as my audio interface, the other is what I use for live performances and gets attached to my laptop during the week to save and update patches.  I've never had a disconnect.  Bad USB cable, using a USB hub rather than a direct connect, or bad software configurations on the computer are more likely the cultprits.  Nothing Line 6 can fix with an update.