Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HELIX, When will we get a new firmware update??

MarkJarvis

I haven't heard about that. Is that confirmed somewhere?

The only hint I've seen is the survey sent out couple months back by Line 6 to current Variax users (asking about which features we dont/use and what new we would like to see in new Variax models). I still take it they may or may not decide whether it's worth making a new gen. I'd love to see it. Only have Variax Bass and Acoustic (so gen 1) now and except for Shuriken the gen 2 models (JTV and Standard) are aesthetically too repelling for me and Shuriken is just reusing the 4(?) years old gen 2 tech which simply cannot justify the money spent.

But not to steal this wonderfull topic: Let's get back to moaning about not getting the new Helix firmware today...

See my post here if you really want to help

http://line6.com/support/topic/30402-at-the-end-of-my-rope-helix-usb-issues/?do=findComment&comment=234104

I've tried everything.

from the other post (in case you don't see it...)

Listening to audio via chrome browser through helix into my powered speaker so I can practice along with said audio while also using helix edit to build my patches.

I am, again, reasonably positive that this is the problem. I don't think that Helix Edit functions properly when Helix is passing audio from the computer and vice versa.

I don't think that Helix Edit functions properly when Helix is passing audio from the computer and vice versa.

There are LOTS of us who use Edit while passing PC audio daily without issue. There is a hardware issue somewhere in chain, most likely with the Helix as its happening on multiple systems/OS, or there is another software culprit somewhere (my guess is the browser, Chrome is a HOG). 

I tracked 9 songs in the last couple weeks running Edit alongside Reaper passing multiple tracks of audio without an issue or even a hiccup/disconnect after leaving the system up for HOURS without using it.

• Upvote 2

There are LOTS of us who use Edit while passing PC audio daily without issue. There is a hardware issue somewhere in chain, most likely with the Helix as its happening on multiple systems/OS, or there is another software culprit somewhere (my guess is the browser, Chrome is a HOG).

I tracked 9 songs in the last couple weeks running Edit alongside Reaper passing multiple tracks of audio without an issue or even a hiccup/disconnect after leaving the system up for HOURS without using it.

I can't imagine Chrome is more of a Hog than a DAW though right? I'll try Safari

It would be great if Line6 could set up a function that allows a subscribers, for any single product he wants, to receive an alert as soon was a new software update is released. We could thus avoid checking each and every day on the site, to know if a new software update is on.

It would be great if Line6 could set up a function that allows a subscribers, for any single product he wants, to receive an alert as soon was a new software update is released. We could thus avoid checking each and every day on the site, to know if a new software update is on.

I'd bet they prefer to have fewer people downloading it right off the bat in case there are issues that pop up.

If you follow this thread, you should get email notification when it's updated. DI always updates it as soon as the new firmware is released.

Between here, Facebook, TGP and other forums, it seems the word always seems to get out pretty quickly. I guess if you aren't connected to social media at all, it can take longer. For large updates, Line 6 usually does send out a mass email sometime shortly after the update is released.

• Upvote 1

If you follow this thread, you should get email notification when it's updated. DI always updates it as soon as the new firmware is released.

Between here, Facebook, TGP and other forums, it seems the word always seems to get out pretty quickly. I guess if you aren't connected to social media at all, it can take longer. For large updates, Line 6 usually does send out a mass email sometime shortly after the update is released.

Thanks!

Any word on when this is supposed to drop? I havent been paying the closest attention.

Also, with the new update can we expect, all parameters to be correctly reported? Meaning mix settings, some reverb decay times, ect....

Any word on when this is supposed to drop? I havent been paying the closest attention.

Also, with the new update can we expect, all parameters to be correctly reported? Meaning mix settings, some reverb decay times, ect....

Soon.... ish.... maybe

Word from DI.... Hopefully November.  No other info at the moment, depends on if any of the people testing find any bugs.

Is there an issue with parameters being correctly reported?  Any examples?

Im new to Line 6 ... i used a AXE FX before which had lots of Firmware Updates within a week or a month ... the bad thing was that those updates 

changed the sound so that you had to tweak a lot to get back your sound ...

My issue i have with the Helix is that the (helix) audio driver crashed after a while so that you have to restart the PC.

The Updater also doesnt work and crashed everytime ... but is useless anyway without any update (so a minor problem). Even Line 6 support was not able to help.

In case of the AXE FX ... after lots of FW you really tweak more than playing guitar ... BUT it also means that they care about issues which users have .... in the case of Line 6 its a little sad that the last FW was in April and it seems they care a lot more about other products ...

Im new to Line 6 ... i used a AXE FX before which had lots of Firmware Updates within a week or a month ... the bad thing was that those updates 

My issue i have with the Helix is that the (helix) audio driver crashed after a while so that you have to restart the PC.
The Updater also doesnt work and crashed everytime ... but is useless anyway without any update (so a minor problem). Even Line 6 support was not able to help.

In case of the AXE FX ... after lots of FW you really tweak more than playing guitar ... BUT it also means that they care about issues which users have .... in the case of Line 6 its a little sad that the last FW was in April and it seems they care a lot more about other products ...

Well, my response to that is wait three months, and see how you feel about things... I think you'll be pleasantly surprised... :)

I'd also say, though, that if you look over the last year, the pace and size of firmware updates from Fractal isn't what it was before.

• Upvote 1

No comment on AXE FX about tweaking more, I don't have one, so I couldn't say.

I don't think that fewer updates leads to the conclusion that Line 6 cares less. The (short) dry spell in updates is due to a lot of refactoring and rewriting code so that it is more maintainable and easier to incorporate new features farther into the future, extending the product's life-time with the promise of new features faster. I'd conclude that says they care quite a bit.

• Upvote 1

I don't think that fewer updates leads to the conclusion that Line 6 cares less. The (short) dry spell in updates is due to a lot of refactoring and rewriting code so that it is more maintainable and easier to incorporate new features farther into the future, extending the product's life-time with the promise of new features faster. I'd conclude that says they care quite a bit.

Agreed.  Quality over quantity. Everytime.

Well, my response to that is wait three months, and see how you feel about things... I think you'll be pleasantly surprised... :)

I'd also say, though, that if you look over the last year, the pace and size of firmware updates from Fractal isn't what it was before.

three months ? .. you must be kidding 

regarding the AXE ... sure its a little longer on the market than the Helix and the FW doesnt come that often anymore in the past, but they really tried to fix problems in a short time which isnt that bad i think ... especially when look at the price for this unit

sorry but this is exactly what i think .. it leads to that conclusion. For a higher priced product i expect a little more support ! ... Were not talking about a Zoom Multi for 150 bucks

three months ? .. you must be kidding 

regarding the AXE ... sure its a little longer on the market than the Helix and the FW doesnt come that often anymore in the past, but they really tried to fix problems in a short time which isnt that bad i think ... especially when look at the price for this unit

sorry but this is exactly what i think .. it leads to that conclusion. For a higher priced product i expect a little more support ! ... Were not talking about a Zoom Multi for 150 bucks

Well, the next firmware update will be coming out sometime in the next few weeks... As far as the three months, I'm saying the landscape will be quite different after that... :)

BTW, support is more than simply firmware updates. In case you missed, Line 6 extended the standard warranty for the Helix (at least those bought in the US) from one year to years, and they introduced an extended warranty program. It's pretty clear that Line 6 is taking support of the Helix line very seriously. It become ever more clear in the future.

Oh, and let me know when Fractal offers its users a full-blown plug-in version of the Axe-FX for $100...

• Upvote 1

Ok ... "next few weeks" sound much better than "three month" .. sorry when i did get you wrong here ... my bad

But "support" means for me fixing software issues and not extending the standard warranty .... the Helix is a great unit (thats why I changed) ... but an extended warranty doesnt help much when standard tools like the editor doesnt work properly or the audio driver crashes ... and i know thats these issues have other users too

In fact that the Helix is 2 years old now, its a little sad that those problems havent been fixed yet 

But OK lets wait for the upcoming FW ... 

Ok ... "next few weeks" sound much better than "three month" .. sorry when i did get you wrong here ... my bad

But "support" means for me fixing software issues and not extending the standard warranty .... the Helix is a great unit (thats why I changed) ... but an extended warranty doesnt help much when standard tools like the editor doesnt work properly or the audio driver crashes ... and i know thats these issues have other users too

In fact that the Helix is 2 years old now, its a little sad that those problems havent been fixed yet 

But OK lets wait for the upcoming FW ... 

The issues you're describing with driver crashes and whatnot aren't typical... I have never experienced it in the 2+ years I've had my Helix. These are the sorts of issues you should open a support ticket for and have someone from Line 6 help you troubleshoot. Every system is different, so I wouldn't just assume that your specific issue will be fixed. Line 6 can only fix a problem if they know about it, so if you haven't already done it, I really do recommend opening a support ticket.

http://line6.com/support/tickets/add.html

• Upvote 1

Soon.... ish.... maybe

Word from DI.... Hopefully November. No other info at the moment, depends on if any of the people testing find any bugs.

Is there an issue with parameters being correctly reported? Any examples?

appreciate your interest flying. Well.… As I’m sure you are aware anything below 12% mix, on any and every model Is much closer to “off†than it is 11% or 9% whatever. I often find my self wanting those values when working subtly.

With the verb a bit of a different situation but at a decay time of 0 I’d expect to hear almost no decay as where a few of the verbs will still have a quite noticeable decay sometimes lasting for seconds.

Sure that’s the nature of some of those verbs but no decay at a zero setting makes more sense imo.

• Upvote 1

appreciate your interest flying. Well.… As I’m sure you are aware anything below 12% mix, on any and every model Is much closer to “off†than it is 11% or 9% whatever. I often find my self wanting those values when working subtly.

With the verb a bit of a different situation but at a decay time of 0 I’d expect to hear almost no decay as where a few of the verbs will still have a quite noticeable decay sometimes lasting for seconds.

Sure that’s the nature of some of those verbs but no decay at a zero setting makes more sense imo.

Yeah, I really wish you could control the curve of the expression pedals.  It just doesn't seem as natural to me as I'm used to with my amp and Volume pedal

• Upvote 1

Interesting choice of amp models...  Guess the Diesel and other high gainers are at the back of the line.  Good update nonetheless...

Yes, hopefully the next update will include some good high gain amps.  I love new flavors though, some of these I have never even heard of.  They might even become some of my favs.

That said I am intrigued by some of the FX models.  The doubler, and space echo in particular.

I am happy about the HX Native plugin being re-sizable.

• Upvote 1

I have to be honest and say I'm a little disappointed with the selection. We get a 7th, 8th, and 9th Marshall amp (not counting the 2204 - also, no JCM 900?), but still no Engl Powerball or E530, and no Diezel. A sixth fuzz effect but still no Metal Zone (which was in the XT and the HD). (Yes, I know, spot the metal guy. We're not all over at Fractal, you know...)

Good to see another compressor, long overdue, but still no simple Boss CS-1, which was considered worthy of modelling twice back in the XT days? Finally, nobody could turn their nose up at a Space Echo sim, but with the Adriatic Delay and Elephant Man already in there one could argue that the delays were already Helix's best feature.

Don't get me wrong; I'm happy with the Helix as it was when I bought it. It's just that the clamour about updates builds up expectations... and then knocks them down again. ;)

• Upvote 1

I have to be honest and say I'm a little disappointed with the selection. We get a 7th, 8th, and 9th Marshall amp (not counting the 2204 - also, no JCM 900?), but still no Engl Powerball or E530, and no Diezel. A sixth fuzz effect but still no Metal Zone (which was in the XT and the HD). (Yes, I know, spot the metal guy. We're not all over at Fractal, you know...)

Good to see another compressor, long overdue, but still no simple Boss CS-1, which was considered worthy of modelling twice back in the XT days? Finally, nobody could turn their nose up at a Space Echo sim, but with the Adriatic Delay and Elephant Man already in there one could argue that the delays were already Helix's best feature.

Don't get me wrong; I'm happy with the Helix as it was when I bought it. It's just that the clamour about updates builds up expectations... and then knocks them down again. ;)

I agree with the "yet another Marshall Amp" comment. There are plenty of those now, we really don't need more.

I make all styles of music, but I am a metal guy as well. More high gain flavors would be preferred.

Yeah I agree as well. Three more plexi channels just warrants the worlds biggest yawn from me.

The electro king and trainwreck are cool and unique inclusions and after the litigator I'm curious to check out he cartographer.

But it would really be nice to see some more high gain flavours. Fractal blows the Helix away in that department while I suspect if the helix was more competitive at that front they would be able to really eat into that base because of the price advantage.

Would be great to see flavours from among amps like the Mark IIC+, VH4, Herbert, BE100, Savage, XTC, Deliverance, Satan, etc.

Obviously the helix is great as it is, but it would be nice to see high gain players get some love. right now I get some of those above sounds out of much cheaper VSTs but it would be nice to get some of those in the helix platform. I think it would really help snag part of the market that decides between the Helix and Fractal products.

Here's hoping for the future anyways.

Agreed. Too many mid-gain amps and a couple effects used by the musicians who gig with these amps... I only like the Aguilar bass amp, the Space Echo and the Xotic Booster.

Nothing else. I thought we were seeing the Diezels and the Randalls in this update. Let`s hope that the future will bring a special "High Gain Monsters" update next time... This one is really dissapointing for hard rock and metal players. The only good I see on this update is that mid-gain boutique amp fans can´t no longer whine about the lack of overrated U$S 6k gear in the Helix. 

I truly appreciate that the update included a new bass amplifier.

As a bassist I also think the new Line6 fuzz will be very useful. I am looking forward to install 2.30 after my next 2 gigs, now I have no time. Thanks Line6!

A Happy bass player (using Helix also to route / mix keyboards and for electro acoustic Mandolin)

• Upvote 1

Too many mid-gain amps and a couple effects used by the musicians who gig with these amps...

Perspective is everything I guess.

I'm of the opinion if Marshall's gain structure isn't high enough maybe you're playing the wrong stuff lol.  :)

But then as you might notice,  I'm "old" school....  :P

• Upvote 1