Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Wah tone suck

bptrav

I've just started trying to use the wah stuff on the HD500X but no matter what I do or which wah I use it seems to destroy the tone of the entire patch even at 0%? Is this normal? I can assign a regular toeswitch to completely turn off the wah but that's not the most convenient if I just want a quick bit of wah then off again.

It specifically makes my tone very muddy and less treble, if that helps at all. The wah when I'm actually using it sounds good it's just ruining the tone when not using it. Do you just have to build patches from the start with the wah in mind instead of trying to add it or am I missing something?

I've just started trying to use the wah stuff on the HD500X but no matter what I do or which wah I use it seems to destroy the tone of the entire patch even at 0%? Is this normal? I can assign a regular toeswitch to completely turn off the wah but that's not the most convenient if I just want a quick bit of wah then off again.

It specifically makes my tone very muddy and less treble, if that helps at all. The wah when I'm actually using it sounds good it's just ruining the tone when not using it. Do you just have to build patches from the start with the wah in mind instead of trying to add it or am I missing something?

0% is not "off"...it actually has nothing to do with the wah effect at all. It's just a numerical representation of the "heel down" position of the expression pedal which, when controlling a wah effect, is the lower end of the wah's frequency sweep. So that's why the treble vanished...Every wah on earth (modeled or not) will do the same thing to your tone if you leave it turned on, and in that position all the time.

Turn it on and off with the expression pedal toe switch, the same as you would with an actual wah pedal.

• Upvote 1

Yeah my issue is when I use the toeswitch under the wah it still seems to be on. With the wah assigned to EXP1 even when I switch to EXP2 (no wah) the wah is clearly still changing the tone even though the expression pedal no longer controls it. The only way to fully turn it off seems to be using FS1-8 assigning wah pedal to one of those. I'll have to look at those settings thanks.

Thanks that was it! I guess I just assumed the on/off stuff would be assigned when you chose either wah/volume/etc. I guess that's why there's that saying about assuming. :)  I had used the volume stuff before but obviously that doesn't (or shouldn't) mess with the tone at all.

Your help is very much appreciated.