Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Does your Variax get hot?

Has anyone experienced an issue where thier Variax gets hot when playing (specifically where the electronics are in the guitar, not necessarily where the battery is). I just got my used Variax yesterday and used it during rehearsal last night. I had a sweat spot on my stomach from the guitar. Is this normal or could there be an issue with this guitar?

If you'd said the guitar had been left plugged in, turned on, and sitting on a stand for a while, and was then hot to the touch when you picked it up, then I'd say there's a problem. Otherwise all that happened is that you pressed a solid object against yourself for an extended period, while engaged in some level of physical activity. Bounce around at rehearsal with a 2x4 slung around your abdomen, and it'll warm up too...

I have three Variaxes and they only get hot when I'm burnin' up the frets. 😎

Seriously though... What do you mean by "hot"? None of my guitars get hot, even after hours of pIaying. Try cruisinon's experiment: plug in, turn on, and let stand for 30 minutes. It shouldn't feel hot -- not even warm... especially if you're running a VDI cable into a Pod and by-passing the battery.

Of course, I assume you haven't had this "sweating" problem with other guitars...

I have never had a similar issue with another guitar getting hot like this. I assumed that due to the amount of "technology" within the guitar, combined with the heat in the rehearsal space - this was normal. It does not appear to be associated at all with the battery; however, I can not validate that until I receive my VDI cable. It was actually a small section just above the battery compartment (about 2 inches in diameter) which was warm (not burning hot) while all of the surrounding wood was cool to the touch. I may not have actually noticed it but I was using a shorter than usual guitar strap so the guitar was sitting higher up and resting a little on my stomach (I'm not fat in anyway but I have a little gut) and it was warm enough that I was getting a small sweat spot on my shirt which correlated with the warm spot on the guitar. Based on everyone's comments, this does not seem normal.

I was getting a small sweat spot on my shirt which correlated with the warm spot on the guitar. Based on everyone's comments, this does not seem normal.

Not to diminish your experience, and perhaps it really is heating up abnormally. But until it does so on its own, sitting off by itself, I will remain unconvinced.

We're warm blooded...98.6°, give or take. Place any inanimate, room temperature object against your mid-section and then proceed to move around with it, and it'll warm up. Do it long enough, and you just might perspire a bit where it's touching you...don't think we're witnessing cold fusion here. ;)

No worries.  Since I've only had the guitar for less than 48 hours and one rehearsal, it was something I've never had with any other guitar before.  I agree that if I keep it plugged in for 30 minutes and it didn't get warm, then it was just a one-off occurrence.  Unfortunately, since I don't have the VDI or a battery charger - I can't fully validate but I will definitely investigate further.  My only concern was it was a used guitar (probably should have stated that earlier) and I just want to be sure there's not major technical issue before by 45 day return window closes.  Thanks again.