Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Expression Help For The M13

kernow82

Hi there, I am new to this forum and would like to say hello,

I have now shifted over from a large pedal board to the M13 and would like some advice on a expression pedal? The line6 EX-1 I think will break in next to no time with my heavy feet, but I have seen people use the Boss FV 500 pedal, which one should I get, the H or the L, I use passive pick ups

thank you

john from Adelaide, South Australia

• Upvote 1

I don't think the EX-1 deserves the reputation it gets... I've had two that I've used for over 10 years, and they both still work fine. They are plastic, so that bothers some people. If you want something more heavy duty, I'd recommend the Mission Engineering EP1-L6. It's designed specifically for Line 6 products, and it's an all-metal housing.

I believe the Boss FV-500L will work. I think its polarity is reversed from the EX-1, though. That's not a big deal, really, because you can set the heel and toe values to be whatever you want them to be in the effects in your scenes. It's just that if you would hook up another expression pedal, they would be reversed from what you set them up as.

• 1 month later...

Here is a supported and non supported list from the support archives:

Works:

Ernie Ball VP Jr 25k ohm (log pot)

Line 6 EX-1

Roland EV-5

Boss FV-500L

Boss FV-500H

unknow needs confirmation:

Kurzweil CC-1 (10K linear pot, 45 bucks, likely compatible)

TC Electronics X1 (25k ohm Logpot, $130 (!), likely compatible)

Pigtronix EP-1 Expression Pedal (20k pot unknown taper, metal construction, around 50 bucks, likely compatible)

Not Compatible:

Yamaha  FC-7

Ernie Ball VP JR Passive 250K & 6166

Any wah wah pedal

Morley volume Pedals

Behringer FCV100

M-Audio EXP

Rocktron Hex

Moog EP-2 (it is possible to swap the internal pot with a 16mm pot, though it might take some fabrication skills. This is not recommended for the inexperienced.)

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I'm happy to report that the Ernie Ball VP Jr 25k ohm (log pot) (P0 6181 made in Malaysia)

does indeed work perfectly out of the box. It also looks extremely smart in my humble opinion.

It's well constructed and light in Aluminium and can be cabled to do other things

Like being a volume pedal, with a spur out to a tuner.

The tuner question is redundant in this discussion as you will have one built in to the M5!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

The Dunlop volume x has an expression pedal output, and it works perfectly with the M series. The ex-1 gets a bad reputation because it is lightweight plastic...and expensive. It is too light for constant use (it slides around) and should cost less than half of what L6 charges. Buy an expression pedal that will last.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I've been using the Mission pedal for a while and it is excellent. Now I want to use the other control jack with a switch rather than a pedal and be able to A/B between 2 settings. I bought a Nose pedal that was supposed to be compatible with the M13. I was able to set it as with the pedal controller but after one or two cycles, the M13 stopped responding to the switch. I could reset it but it would only work one or two cycles. Then I made a footswitch with a momentary SPDT footswitch, one side direct and the other side through a 10k resistor. Same response: works, then doesn't.

Am I missing something here? I sure would like to get this kind of functionality.....

• Downvote 1

• 9 months later...

you can also use a Morley volume Pedal passive model CVO Compact 

plug in to amp out on the pedal

the range was a little off so I opened it up and adjusted the spring holding the nylon wire ( fishing line this is a Passive pedal)  a little so the range fix the M9 perfectly 

before in far the toe position it would go back down a little so I  pushed the string a little so it didn't go as far into the heel value and it's worked perfectly

basically of adjust the CVO range to match the m9

done and i got the Morley CVO pedal for $22 on ebay

morley_cvo_003.jpg

• 2 years later...
On 3/1/2015 at 12:01 AM, WahWahWeeks said:

I'm happy to report that the Ernie Ball VP Jr 25k ohm (log pot) (P0 6181 made in Malaysia)

does indeed work perfectly out of the box. It also looks extremely smart in my humble opinion.

It's well constructed and light in Aluminium and can be cabled to do other things

Like being a volume pedal, with a spur out to a tuner.

The tuner question is redundant in this discussion as you will have one built in to the M5!

I know this is an old post, but... does the Ernie Ball 6181 pedal respond evenly across the range of motion, or does it have an uneven range (more sensitive towards top or bottom or something)? I'm about to pull the trigger on this because EB pedals are nice & solid and decently affordable, but i have no way to try before i buy.

also, you just plug a regular 1/4" cable into the output, or did you have to do something else to wire it up?

thanks!

~peter in athens

• 3 months later...
On 11/9/2013 at 12:44 PM, scormier said:

Here is a supported and non supported list from the support archives:

Works:

Ernie Ball VP Jr 25k ohm (log pot)

Line 6 EX-1

Roland EV-5

Boss FV-500L

Boss FV-500H

unknow needs confirmation:

Kurzweil CC-1 (10K linear pot, 45 bucks, likely compatible)

TC Electronics X1 (25k ohm Logpot, $130 (!), likely compatible)

Pigtronix EP-1 Expression Pedal (20k pot unknown taper, metal construction, around 50 bucks, likely compatible)

Not Compatible:

Yamaha  FC-7

Ernie Ball VP JR Passive 250K & 6166

Any wah wah pedal

Morley volume Pedals

Behringer FCV100

M-Audio EXP

Rocktron Hex

Moog EP-2 (it is possible to swap the internal pot with a 16mm pot, though it might take some fabrication skills. This is not recommended for the inexperienced.)

I just purchased two Proline expression pedals from Guitar Center. Needed something simple and quick. Works with my line 6 M13. $29.99 each. Works well with Volume control and all effects assigned to each. So far so good.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Has anyone gotten a Moog EP3 to work with the M5? The pedal has a sensitivity knob and a polarity switch, so I'm thinking this should be possible. It does modulate a parameter, but will not transition smoothly from heel to toe, and depending on the sensitivity knob's setting seems to confuse the M5, either cycling between minimum and maximum and back in half the pedal's travel or doing not much of anything. Weirdly, adjusting the sensitivity knob also adjusts the parameter in certain pedal positions. Please help; I really don't want to use my ancient, squeaky and oversized Korg volume pedal...

On 8/14/2015 at 5:02 AM, rockhound252 said:

But i dont understand one thing. The Line 6 Ex-1 is mono Jack and Boss FV500L is sterop Jack. How its possible that both pedals work??

That's easy; the tip and sleeve connect as normal. The ring does not